Review of Soul Seeker

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kelsey Roy
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: East Wind, 2nd edition
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelsey-roy.html
Latest Review: Love Letters to the Virgin Mary by David Richards

Review of Soul Seeker

Post by Kelsey Roy »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Soul Seeker" by Kaylin McFarren.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Kaylin McFarren's fictional romance novel, Soul Seeker, brings the reader into the fantasy world of demons and angels. McFarren splits this novel into two parts. Part one follows the devastating story of Benjamin Poe. Poe is a small-town firefighter whose world is turned upside down after a tragic fire at the College Inn. Poe encounters a terrifying man, known only as Crighton, who lays ruin to Poe's life and family through deception. Part two gives the reader insight into Crighton's background as a demon and his life in Hell, working for his master, Lucifer. With the help of his newly discovered soulmate, Crighton realizes that soul-snatching isn't all it's cracked up to be. Can Crighton conquer his demon instincts and do good in the world?

My favorite part of this novel is the underlying message. McFarren uses the fantasy-driven plot to explore the balance of good and evil. Within this novel, no one person is exclusively innocent. Crighton is not solely evil. He has empathy and learns to forgive those he loves. Not all angels are good. Some of them are evil or lecherous. Humans cannot follow all the rules, no matter how well-meaning they may be. I love the juxtaposition of a well-meaning demon working against an evil fallen angel. On the surface, this novel may seem like a romance tale rooted in fantasy. However, the author challenges the reader to judge characters not by their outward appearance or classification but by their actions.

There is nothing to dislike about this novel. Some scenes and descriptions are graphic and disturbing. Yet, the premise of the narrative is uplifting. Evil is never a pre-determined trait. I enjoyed the fantasy setting of Heaven and Hell, as I have always been interested in the dichotomy of angels and demons.

I rate Soul Seeker 4 out of 4 stars. The novel was exceptionally written and well-edited. I found zero errors in the book, which heightened my enjoyment of the storyline. I never thought I would root for a demon, but Crighton's transformation is spectacular. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this novel. I would love to read more tales from McFarren.

I recommend this book to individuals interested in fantasy and romance. Readers with an interest in Hell and demons will enjoy this novel. As the author states at the end of the book, her storyline is not religiously motivated. Soul Seeker is, at its core, a romance narrative with a fun setting amongst angels and demons that contrasts right versus wrong. The author has created a story that readers of all religious backgrounds can enjoy. Due to several instances of graphic violence, sexual conduct, and profanity, I recommend this novel to adult readers.

Soul Seeker
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Amanda Pearcy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-pearcy.html
Latest Review: One If by Carol B Allen

Post by Amanda Pearcy »

The plot sounds interesting. Definitely can't judge a book by its cover or title. Based on the title, I would have never thought the book was a romance novel. It reminds me more of a thriller movie. I do like to root for the underdog. This definitely sounds like a movie I would choose to watch. Thank you for providing such an insightful review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”