Review of Eating Bull

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Skye Sheena
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skye-sheena.html
Latest Review: Eating Bull by Carrie Rubin

Review of Eating Bull

Post by Skye Sheena »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Eating Bull" by Carrie Rubin.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

This book is definitely worth the read. Eating Bull follows the lone, overweight teen, Jeremy, who has teamed up with his "fat slayer" nurse to sue the food industry for making him overweight. It covers many real life issues such as bullying, fat-shaming, societal woes and most importantly the control that addictive substances have on our brains. This case enrages Darwin, an agoraphobic, serial killer into making Jeremy his main target. This fast-pace novel follows Darwin's mission to tracking down and killing every obese person in his path to Jeremy. Carrie Rubin does an amazing job at keeping the reader intrigued and fills the book with blood and gore, making it hard to put down until you know how it ends.

There were a lot of positives that deserve to be mentioned in regards to this book. The author followed three different points of view that gave you many angles to one situation. I loved her writing style! She wrote a fast-paced novel that made me excited for the moments I had to pick it up and read again. I also loved that she was able to write on such a controversial topic while also giving us characters that anyone can agree with. This book is thrilling while simultaneously spreading awareness on unhealthy foods and what makes them addicting.

I would say that the only negative I found in this book is that I guessed the ending a few chapters too early. A couple of clues were given that made me realize who it was and I couldn't get it out of my head, so I did not get that big reveal that I typically like to see when it comes to thriller novels. I do not think that this ruined the book, but it made the ending less fun!

I would rate this book a 4 out of 4 stars. I found it extremely hard to put down and any time I had a second to read a few pages I picked it up. The author made you care about the characters and their outcomes even if you didn't like them. This book was the definition of a page turner and I hope to find other books by this author.

The recommended audience for this would be older teens/adults who enjoy thrillers or "who done it" type novels. There was a lot of blood, gore and profanity, so I do not think young adults should be reading it, but I do think high school age and up would enjoy and could relate to a lot of the bullying points that were made. This book allows readers to stretch their thoughts and beliefs on societal issues and I think that is great for older teens to experience. Overall, an amazing book by a great author.

Eating Bull
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”