Review of The Date Farm

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sydney Ash
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Where the Crawdads Sing
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sydney-ash.html
Latest Review: Tyler's Promised Gift by M. C. Abushar

Review of The Date Farm

Post by Sydney Ash »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Date Farm" by Jack Winnick.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The book, The Date Farm, is a fictional novel about espionage and terrorism. This is the fourth book in author Jack Winnick's Lara and Uri series. Just like the other three books in his series, Winnick starts this thriller off with a gruesome act of terrorism. In this book, the terrorists bombard a Beverly Hills mall and execute a mass shooting on the innocent shoppers. The five-minute attack left forty-eight people dead and hundreds more injured. The attackers finished their rampage by taking their own lives. The United States government call in Lara and Uri, two of the best agents, to help piece together the attack. These two have a reputation for going behind enemy lines to protect the United States from danger. This time will be no different. When the two arrive in Beverly Hills, they realize that there is far more to this terrorist attack than just a mall shooting. Lara and Uri are in a race with time to figure out the terrorists’ hidden agenda before more people's lives are put in danger. Will Lara and Uri be able to figure out the terrorists’ elaborate agenda? What is their ultimate objective? Will they get to them before it is too late? These questions can only be answered in Jack Winnick’s book, The Date Farm.

I loved the fast-paced and action-packed scenes that this book included. I enjoyed all of the books in Jack Winnick’s series, but I believe this one has the best plot. In the past books, it was pretty obvious what the terrorists' end goal was. In The Date Farm, the terrorists put on an elaborate scheme to mislead the United States government. Lara and Uri must come in and piece together the little information they are given. This made the book so exciting and fun to follow. Winnick created such an intricate and engaging plot. This was my favorite part of the book. I never knew what was going to happen next, and found myself shocked when the true plot was revealed. The author’s ability to play with my emotions was really impressive.

The only part I did not like about this book was some of the dialogue. I found some of the conversations between characters to be awkward and unnatural. I noticed this the most when the main characters were talking to each other. In this novel, Lara and Uri are married. The conversations they have with each other sound very surface-level and random. I found their conversations to be particularly awkward in the scenes that involved romance. Their interactions just seemed very unrealistic which I did not like. However, this did not take away from my overall opinion of the book at all.

This was a great read. I found myself not wanting to put this book down until the very end. The author’s fast-paced writing style and intricate plot made this book such a thrilling read. I found no grammatical errors, which makes me believe that this book was professionally edited. The only thing I disliked about the book was the awkwardness in the dialogue. This was not a big enough issue to take away from my overall opinion of the book though. For the reasons stated, I would rate this book a 4 out of 4 stars.

If you are someone who loves action-packed thrillers, then I would highly recommend reading this book. This book contains scenes involving brutal violence, which might be hard for some people to read. Please make sure you are okay with blood, death, guns, and explosions before reading this book.

The Date Farm
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”