Review of Way Down in the Deep Dark

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Melisa Jane
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: The Dead Speak
Bookshelf Size: 190
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melisa-jane.html
Latest Review: In It Together (2nd Edition Hardcover from B&N) by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review of Way Down in the Deep Dark

Post by Melisa Jane »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Way Down in the Deep Dark" by Richard Van Doren.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

This is a re-review.

Morality and legality may be interrelated, but they are very different. Some people also think everything legal is moral, and everything illegal is immoral, which is not true. Sometimes, man-made rules can be so stiff that they ignore human nature. For instance, prostitution has been in the world since time immemorial. In fact, some articles argue that this may be the world's oldest profession. However, man-made laws make it illegal to engage in prostitution. Taking into account human nature, it is impossible to eliminate prostitution. Therefore, it's only reasonable to manage it to ensure that those who engage in prostitution do so safely. Way Down in the Deep Dark by Richard Van Doren is a fictional novel about a law enforcement officer's interaction with prostitutes and how he strives to ensure they are safe.

After quitting his career as a parish minister, Abel Haskins, now Detective Abel Haskins of the Port City Vice Squad, joins law enforcement. He interacts freely with the prostitutes of the region and even gives them pieces of advice aimed at ensuring their safety. When Melody, also known as Licia Turnbull, started working as a prostitute in that town, Abel reached out to her and gave her some safety advice. They grew so fond of each other that they even went out together as friends. One day, on his day off, Abel receives a phone call from the homicide team asking him to help them identify a victim of a homicide. After reaching the crime scene, he realizes that the body belongs to Melody. She had been stabbed several times. Can detective Abel Haskins solve this murder mystery? How will the plot develop from here?

With five hundred and three pages, this book is divided into five parts. Each part is further subdivided into several chapters. Although this is a detective book, there are several other themes, such as the themes of religion, family relations, and betrayal. This book is written from the third-person point of view and in the past tense.

I liked several things about this book. First, through this book, the author makes the readers realize that there are genuinely good people who go out of their way to assist others without expecting anything in return. Abel, for instance, worked overtime to ensure everyone was safe. Second, by using the names of some characters as titles for some parts of the book, the author develops the plot by focusing on the perspective of different characters. This ensures that the characters are so efficiently developed and relatable that, most often, readers feel their pain and even, to some degree, predict their reactions to different situations. Third, since this is the second time I'm reviewing this book, I commend the author for considering my previous error list and working on eliminating some of the grammatical errors.

Although this is a brilliant book with an excellent storyline, I still noticed some flaws. First, the structure of the book needs to be edited. For instance, the book is divided into five parts. However, the subdivisions within the parts are just numbers. I'm guessing these were originally meant to read as chapters. However, the numbers are not visible and can easily be confused with page numbers. I recommend that the author add "chapter" against these numbers, so the readers don't get confused. Second, although the author did well eliminating the grammatical errors, I still found some errors. My list of errors did not include comma errors because some authors object to listing comma errors as objective grammatical errors. For example, on the book's first page, the author's name is listed twice. First, it is listed as Richard Van Doren; then, it is again listed as Van Doren, Richard. The comma implies that the book has two authors: Van Doren and Richard. This is not the only comma error in the book. This book will benefit from another round of editing, primarily focusing on the comma errors and the book's structure. An example of a flaw in this book's structure is where, instead of writing "PART 3," the author writes "CHAPTER 3."

In conclusion, this is a brilliant book. I enjoyed both the storyline and the character development. However, it still has some structural flaws. I, therefore, rate it 3 out of 4 stars. If I could, I would have rated it 3.5 out of 4 stars because the author did well in eliminating grammatical errors after my first review. I recommend this book to anyone interested in detective stories, especially where the main character may be considered morally gray.

Way Down in the Deep Dark
View: on Bookshelves
Insofar as the word 'should' even has meaning, then we must say that the past is exactly as it should be, everything that happened should have happened, and everything that should happen will happen
:techie-studyingbrown:

~ Scott Hughes
Margi zuu202
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: Living in Color
Currently Reading: Water Bound (Sisters of the Heart, #1)
Bookshelf Size: 83832
fav_author_id: 77547
2024 Reading Goal: 1000
2024 Goal Completion: 1141%

Post by Margi zuu202 »

A detective on the vice squad of a fictitious city learn of a secret cult trafficking in underage girls
Phelicia Gloria
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phelicia-gloria.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Phelicia Gloria »

Wow this must be a very interesting novel, it's a must read for me. Its funny when you say prostitution might be one of the oldest profession
Absence of evidence is never an evidence of absence
Mr Excellence
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mr-excellence.html
Latest Review: Four Critical Days by Edward Vogler

Post by Mr Excellence »

I love how you started the review. It propelled the heart of the book in full.
Meanwhile, I enjoyed reading your review.
Mr Excellence
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mr-excellence.html
Latest Review: Four Critical Days by Edward Vogler

Post by Mr Excellence »

The themes added to the uniqueness of the book. The plot is superb, and the character is wonderful.
This book is a must read for me.
Israel10
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-israel10.html
Latest Review: Creating Wellbeing and Building Resilience in the Veterinary Profession by Sonja A. Olson, DVM

Post by Israel10 »

Although this is a detective book, there are several other themes, such as the themes of religion, family relations, and betrayal. Great review.
Marvelly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27

Post by Marvelly »

This books is very interesting and I look forward to reading the full story. But how come will you say, prostitution is the oldest profession, so very funny.
Chiwendu Ikechukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiwendu-ikechukwu.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Chiwendu Ikechukwu »

It is interesting to know that captivating reviews like this are gotten in this site. This book seems interesting. Adding it to my book shelf ASAP.
CharlesC+Esq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlesc-esq.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by CharlesC+Esq »

This sounds like an eye-opener int the world of those considered sinful souls. I'm sure all married women have a dislike for the men who are customers of prostitution, men on the other hand don't necessarily usually have any ill-feelings towards the profession unless it brings harm like gangs, kidnapping, blackmail to the customers.
The author's main character proves again that men have a heart.
Jesus saved a prostitute on the blink on the blink of death while other men who were guilty as she was,wanted her dead.
Shadreck Rogers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shadreck-rogers.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Shadreck Rogers »

Very intriguing story line. Law enforcement and prostitution are timely subjects.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like a great detective story that also includes important themes and just needs some polishing. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”