Review of Faults

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Juliet Keith
Currently Reading: Think and Live Longer
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliet-keith.html
Latest Review: That Guy What Kill Topsy by Peter Wood Cotterill

Review of Faults

Post by Juliet Keith »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Faults" by Orion Gregory.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Faults is a fast-paced crime mystery novel developed by Orion Gregory. The author begins by narrating the tragic death of a pivotal character. Sydney Livingstone, an unsuccessful tennis player, attends a tournament in hopes of reviving her career, but she soon realizes that she has bigger problems to deal with other than the redemption of her career.

Trent, a police detective, investigates the inexplicable disappearance of Sydney's opponent in an upcoming tournament, who is subsequently found to have been killed. However, several more nefarious acts derail Sydney's championship campaign. Someone is clearly hungry for Sydney's blood. Both the protagonist and the detectives are puzzled over who could be after Sydney as they cannot pinpoint anyone in particular.

These episodes are traumatic for Sydney, who is already in anguish from the loss of her closest friend and family. Everyone is a suspect, including the protagonist. How many more murders and injuries must occur before the perpetrator is apprehended? Why is the perpetrator so hell-bent on causing Sydney harm? Who, after all, is the perpetrator? You will not know unless you read the book. Faults is an engaging narrative of a teenage tennis player who struggles to outperform her own expectations, the expectations of a doctor who wrote her off the sports charts, and even the stalker's ambitions.

Orion Gregory has done an excellent job of developing a compelling narrative. Faults is not your average crime novel; it goes above and beyond. The author has an unequalled ability to create tension in his writing. For the most of the novel, I had no clue who the stalker could be. The author continued to reveal minor clues that hinted at the identity of the perpetrator but never fully revealed the stalker. I continued guessing who the murderer was and eventually suspected practically everyone. Towards the end, the author revealed crucial details that appeared to lead to only one perpetrator. I was certain that my suspect would be the end perpetrator, but the author repeatedly proved me incorrect. Gregory really tested the reader’s crime-solving skills through dead-end hints that kept popping up throughout the work. His style prompts the reader to think outside the box to solve the mystery.

Gregory has completely expressed to the reader the emotions of the characters. For example, on page 301, the dead-end suggestion to the perpetrator had me practically yelling at Sydney to get away from the suspect before they hurt her. Sydney's feelings during tough tennis matches when she was wounded or agitated due to unusual circumstances in her life were always heartfeltly described. I could understand her anguish, frustration, and concern for her career and general safety.

Without a question, Faults merits a rating of four out of four stars. There was nothing I did not appreciate about the book. The characters were given adequate depth, which was fantastic. Gregory always provided a little backstory for each character, no matter how minor. The author had me reading the book continuously until I finished it because of the alternating periods of tension and relief throughout the work. It was a delightful emotional rollercoaster that I would gladly repeat. The absence of spelling mistakes in the text attests to its superb editing.

Individuals who adore books with themes like crime and mystery will undoubtedly enjoy the book. Orion is a master of suspense and humour. Sydney's character will endear the reader with her sense of humour through sarcasm, even in the worst-case situations. The book will leave the reader wanting more and looking forward to reading other works by Orion Gregory.

Faults
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”