Review of The Man In The Cafe

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
NancyDrew12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nancydrew12.html
Latest Review: The Tooth Fairy Makes A Mistake by Great-Aunt Rita

Review of The Man In The Cafe

Post by NancyDrew12 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Man In The Cafe" by Michael J. Pilkington.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Richard Byrne is a man who just robbed a bank. Richard has always led a life of trouble, but nothing could compare to the danger he's currently facing. One night, after a business meeting, Richard finds himself enthralled by a forbidden woman. Not caring about the consequences, Richard and this woman embark on a scandalous journey. But their actions quickly lead to deadly outcomes.

Now, meeting the aftermath of his choices, Richard must comply with someone else's rules. And this person won't let Richard off the hook easily. But Richard quickly tires of feeling like he has no control over his own life. So, Richard decides he wants revenge, and nothing will stop him from getting what he wants. Not even the fact that his revenge might cost him his life. Will Richard get his revenge? Who is the person controlling Richard? And how did Richard end up in this mess?

The Man In The Cafe by Michael J. Pilkington is a combination novel that features mystery and horror. Throughout the story, Richard seeks retribution while tangled up in a dangerous game.

This book was beyond difficult to read. I picked this book to read because it featured all my favorite genres. But what I got was a disaster. The vocabulary was lacking immensely, and the characters would repeat themselves several times in one sentence. The plot was weak and frequently forgotten. There were several sections where the characters talked about irrelevant topics, such as football, or dissected real-life movies.

I wouldn't suggest this book to any reader. The plot was confusing, and the characters were lifeless. There was no sense or logic behind any of the events that transpired.

One negative thing for me about this novel was the sexism. Every woman in this book was a prostitute. In addition, when speaking about women, the male characters would say they were worthless or only good for one thing. Because of this, I was highly furious and felt disgusted. Another negative thing about this novel was the racism. After not getting the response he wanted from another character, Richard blatantly calls him a cussword Jew. From the degrading remarks about women to the discriminatory statement against another character, I started to feel like I was reading the author's personal views. I have nothing positive to say about this novel.

I give The Man In The Cafe 1 out of 4 stars. I gave this rating because the book is offensive, and the plot made no sense. I found over ten errors.

The Man In The Cafe
View: on Bookshelves
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I am sorry that you had to read this with all of the confusion that it lead to, but at the same time I am happy. Your awful experience saved me from reading it. Like you, the summary makes it sound like something I would enjoy and it contains some of my favorite genres as well.
Fareed Regal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fareed-regal.html
Latest Review: In Plain Sight by Susan Mallett

Post by Fareed Regal »

I can only commend you for the rating you have given. Difficult to read a book where you feel offended most of the time. Great job!
NancyDrew12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nancydrew12.html
Latest Review: The Tooth Fairy Makes A Mistake by Great-Aunt Rita

Post by NancyDrew12 »

Amy Luman wrote: 17 Aug 2022, 11:28 I am sorry that you had to read this with all of the confusion that it lead to, but at the same time I am happy. Your awful experience saved me from reading it. Like you, the summary makes it sound like something I would enjoy and it contains some of my favorite genres as well.
Thanks for commenting! Yes Im glad I could save you from reading this book.
Juliet Keith
Currently Reading: Think and Live Longer
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliet-keith.html
Latest Review: That Guy What Kill Topsy by Peter Wood Cotterill

Post by Juliet Keith »

The title of the book is catchy, it made me open this review. Judging by the review, I wouldn't read this book. I hate racism and sexism which seem to be present in the book. The author really didn't have to make every woman a prostitute neither did he have to include racist remarks. I don't think i will ever read any work by the author because I already have a negative opinion of him.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

A professional editor might help the author in properly developing this novel but if the author has really mysoginistic and racist views that come out in the book, that's a huge turn-off! Thank you for your honest review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Smrithi Arun
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Girl On The Train
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smrithi-arun.html
Latest Review: Derrick of Death by Malvina Lerma
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 6%

Post by Smrithi Arun »

I'm sorry you had such a terrible experience with this book. Thanks for saving a lot of us from selecting it based on the description.

I am curious to know, though, why did you continue to sit through those torturous scenes riddled with sexism and racism? What motivated you to finish the book?

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”