Review of The Squad Room

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Raymond N
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raymond-n.html
Latest Review: Charlie Harris by Brendan Mary Dempsey
2022 Reading Goal: 100
2022 Goal Completion: 113%

Review of The Squad Room

Post by Raymond N »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Squad Room" by Robert Novakoff and John Cutter.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Squad Room by Robert Novakoff and John Cutter tells the story of Captain Williams's hunt to track down a sexual predator and serial killer. Three victims had been found severely mutilated. They had been sexually abused and killed. When these cases go unsolved for a while, the Chief of Detectives is eager to take Captain Williams off the case.

Captain Williams leads his team to find the culprits, and the Chief of Detectives, who almost took him off the case, claims the victory. However, the crimes do not stop after the predators are caught. There could be another killer out there. The series of events that occur after prove that this killer may be close by. What the team of detectives would be shocked to discover is how close the killer is.

I'm certain the thrill I got from reading this book has a lot to do with the authors being Police Chiefs. This was an insightful and educating read. I got to see some concepts the way cops do. One of these concepts was the conversations the cops have with the press. The amount of information the press has could change a lot of things. If the press presents a case as being unsolved, the citizens may lose faith in the system, and this could give the culprits a great advantage. I liked how this book demonstrated the tactics that could be used to keep a situation under control, concerning the press.

I enjoyed the characterization. Each character, through his qualities, thought me an important lesson. As a superior, Captain Williams was referred to as the cops' cops because of his endearing personality. Respect is earned, and it is completely different from fear. The Chief of Detectives, who seemed to have nothing substantial to offer, was only obeyed because his subordinates had to. It was hilarious the jokes they made of him. Teamwork was made attractive by the members of the team. It was interesting to see how a female cop could put herself on the line as bait for a sexual predator, even if it could get her killed. I liked how the tight bond and brotherhood of policing were explored. With what seemed like a disastrous life, some of these cops found solace in their jobs. My respect for those in service may have increased after reading this book.

In the beginning, I felt like the background stories were very distracting. The story seemed to have a slow pace, as I was constantly taken back to a character's past or thrown into a conversation about the past. However, as I got further into the story, I enjoyed the dialogue and the humor it came with. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It was insightful and entertaining for me. It was perfectly edited, as I found no errors.

Readers should be warned that there are details about sexual violence and genital mutilation. The are some scenes about mild BDSM practices in this book. If this is suitable for you, then you should enjoy reading this book. Readers of crime and detective stories should enjoy reading this book.

The Squad Room
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Anselm Freeman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anselm-freeman.html
Latest Review: Onward, At Last by Kevin Howard
2022 Reading Goal: 72
2022 Goal Completion: 29%

Post by Anselm Freeman »

This is a good storyline but I am not comfortable with the detailed sexual scenes and BDSM. I will have to pass this time. Thanks for the honest review.
You are yet to be the best version of yourself. Keep refining.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Valhalla Station
Bookshelf Size: 309
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer
2022 Reading Goal: 57
2022 Goal Completion: 80%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an engaging crime thriller that is well constructed and offers some insights into how cops actually do things. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”