Review of Death at Bound Brook Pier

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Review of Death at Bound Brook Pier

Post by Manang Muyang »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Death at Bound Brook Pier" by Rick Cochran.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

It was 1952. After twelve years of separation, childhood sweethearts Rob and Rachel just got engaged, finally! They were supposed to celebrate the occasion with Rachel’s family at dinner. However, the celebration didn’t materialize. Before midday, Rob was called by the police chief to identify the body of his murdered grandfather. A couple of hours before the planned dinner, Rob’s former girlfriend of five years ago arrived with 5-year-old twins and presented them as his children. He didn’t know he got her pregnant. What was supposed to be a happy day turned out to be the exact opposite.

The main story spanned merely two weeks commencing on September 23 when Rob’s estranged grandfather, Richard Caldwell, was killed. Each day was eventful as the authorities scrambled to pinpoint the killer. The author deftly portrayed the rivalry between the FBI, local police, and state police. Scary Mafia thugs complicated the investigation, adding more suspense. There wasn’t much blood and violence or other graphic content, so young readers can comfortably read the book.

Death at Bound Brook Pier was set in Cape Cod in the fictional town of Bound Brook. The author, Rick Cochran, is a native of Cape Cod, and his love for the place was palpable. I appreciated the small-town feel of the book, with neighbors helping and trusting each other. Amid the chaos brought about by the murder and the Mafia shenanigans, Cochran was able to insert subtle references to the beauty of Cape Cod. His picturesque descriptions of tourist destinations like the First Encounter marker and the Target Ship in Eastham and the Pilgrim Monument in Provincetown made me feel like I had visited those places. I also laud the author’s use of vehicles, sports heroes, and cartoon characters of the era to attain period realism.

While the book is the third in the series, I had no trouble following the story. Character development was solid. I think the author overdid it, though. The major characters all had their “trips down memory lane,” which told me a lot about their lives, but some repetition made the middle chapters drag. The book did start on a high note and ended wonderfully. I did not notice any plot loopholes. There were a couple of minor anachronisms, but only very meticulous readers would spot them.

The major issue with the book was the number of errors. I had particular difficulty in Chapter 18 where the first paragraphs seemed to be in the wrong order. I plead with the author to rectify the errors to give his readers a better experience. Because of the errors and the slow chapters, I give the book 3 out of 4 stars.

The book will be great for thriller fans who do not require high-octane action. There is a second plot: a family drama that would tug at the hearts of sentimental readers. Cape Cod residents and visitors will also find the book charming. I will be happy to read the rest of the series and learn more about this beautiful place that the author is so proud of.

Death at Bound Brook Pier
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Summer Henrietta
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-summer-henrietta.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Summer Henrietta »

The storyline of the book is very intriguing .
What supposed to be a happy day turned out the opposite. I look forward to reading this book.
Nice review.
Stephanie Cameron
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-cameron.html
Latest Review: Grizzly Lake by Robert Woods

Post by Stephanie Cameron »

I love criminal thrillers. It's sounds very suspenseful. I am defiantly interested in reading this to see what the outcome is. Great review.
Amy Luman
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

We have alll had times when things didn’t go as planned. This story just takes those ties an extra step. I agree that descriptions are key and Mr. Cochran seems to have done well there.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

Summer Henrietta wrote: 03 Aug 2022, 05:20 The storyline of the book is very intriguing .
What supposed to be a happy day turned out the opposite. I look forward to reading this book.
Nice review.
Thanks for the nice feedback. Welcome to our Club! Hope you have fun here, winter, spring, summer, or fall. 😃
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

Amy Luman wrote: 03 Aug 2022, 10:07 We have alll had times when things didn’t go as planned. This story just takes those ties an extra step. I agree that descriptions are key and Mr. Cochran seems to have done well there.
The characters grow on you. Imagine a neighborhood where someone can leave their truck for anyone to borrow. A slice of heaven! The downside, of course, is that there are no secrets in the community.
Jane Ogwang
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jane-ogwang.html
Latest Review: Dr. Marsha and the Case of the Missing Marshmallows and Hotdogs by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Jane Ogwang »

There seem to be a lot of dramatic and thrilling twists in this story. I'd like to know how Rob maneuvers through. Great review!
Oyedeji Funmilayo
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oyedeji-funmilayo.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Oyedeji Funmilayo »

The plot of this book is interesting with a lot of suspense to watch out for. I can only but imagine the emotional state of Rob. I enjoyed reading your review and look forward to reading the book. Welldone!!!
noelhope
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noelhope.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by noelhope »

How Rob's happiest day turned disastrous is unfortunate. The book seems interested and I am already invested. Loved the review.
Junior Gesuka 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by Junior Gesuka 1 »

Rick Cochran's third Cape Cod mystery, Death at Bound Brook Pier, is taut and engrossing. I was glad to see the return of Army vet Jimmy Curtis, a well-rounded protagonist whose life isn't hasn't been easy. The plot is strong. the action and suspense takes place around Wellfleet and after finishing the novel, I had the desire to visit the area. This is a thought provoking mystery by Mr. Cochran. 
Eze Michael
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eze-michael.html
Latest Review: The Seventh Spark - Knights of the Trinity by J.B. Lion

Post by Eze Michael »

The plot and storyline of this book is quite captivating. I love the author's perspective, and I'd love to know how things ended for Rob and his supposed lover. Thanks for your honest review.
Margi zuu202
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: Living in Color
Currently Reading: Water Bound (Sisters of the Heart, #1)
Bookshelf Size: 83952
fav_author_id: 77547
2024 Reading Goal: 1000
2024 Goal Completion: 1153%

Post by Margi zuu202 »

I enjoyed reading this book and the reviewer made it more interesting I like
NetMassimo
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

I'm not sure about the family drama, as generally stories like Rob having children he didn't know about get me bored very easily but as a thriller, it seems engaging. I hope the author does proper proofreading. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

NetMassimo wrote: 20 Sep 2022, 07:27 I'm not sure about the family drama, as generally stories like Rob having children he didn't know about get me bored very easily but as a thriller, it seems engaging. I hope the author does proper proofreading. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao! Thanks for dropping by. There's a twist to the family drama that may get your interest. The woman is French. And there's another major character who's Italian.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

Junior Gesuka 1 wrote: 20 Aug 2022, 02:12 Rick Cochran's third Cape Cod mystery, Death at Bound Brook Pier, is taut and engrossing. I was glad to see the return of Army vet Jimmy Curtis, a well-rounded protagonist whose life isn't hasn't been easy. The plot is strong. the action and suspense takes place around Wellfleet and after finishing the novel, I had the desire to visit the area. This is a thought provoking mystery by Mr. Cochran. 
Wow, so you read the first two books! It would be good to exchange notes. Yes, Jimmy plays a pivotal role in Book 3.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”