Review of Way Down in the Deep Dark

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Melissa Jane
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissa-jane.html
Latest Review: Way Down in the Deep Dark by Richard Van Doren
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2022 Reading Goal: 150
2022 Goal Completion: 20%

Review of Way Down in the Deep Dark

Post by Melissa Jane »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Way Down in the Deep Dark" by Richard Van Doren.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The decisions that we make in life can sometimes be questioned by our family members or the people around us without them understanding the reasons for such decisions. Sometimes, people pass harsh and unjustified judgments without considering what leads to our decisions. While society may expect things to be done a certain way, it is important to realize that some dire situations call for hard decisions. It is always good to do what you feel is right, depending on the prevailing circumstances, without caring what other people may think of it. Way Down in the Deep Dark by Richard Van Doren is a fictional novel that takes us through sacredness in an exciting way.

This book's main character, Abel, is a detective. He leaves his career as a parish minister and takes a new career as a detective, a move that is not supported by many of his family members. He interacts well with the outcasts in his town and helps those in need, especially those from the low economic class. Abel has to deal with separation from his family members because he has changed his career. This also leads to separation from his wife, Daisy. She leaves him for another man. Abel is also exposed to the dangers of investigations, especially after he discovers a cult group responsible for the trafficking of underage girls and the deaths occurring in the city. How will he deal with these challenges? Was changing careers in his best interest?

This book contains four hundred and sixty-two pages. It is divided into five parts, which are further subdivided into various small portions. It is written from the third-person point of view. The book uses both the past and present tenses.

There are several things that I liked about this book. However, in this review, I'll only mention a few that I liked the most. First, I liked how the author used flashbacks to explain how things came to be as they were in the present. For example, the author uses this literary device to explain how Abel met and became friends with Melody and the circumstances that led to his separation from his ex-wife, Daisy. I also liked the story-within-a-story style of writing, which was seen as Abel read Daisy's diary as it explained how Daisy's life had been before the present time.

Although this is an excellent book with an enjoyable storyline, it has some flaws. First, the book has no page numbers. This made it hard to find where I left my reading from. It also made it hard to report the errors. For this reason, I used my device's page numbering when reporting errors. Second, although this book is divided into different parts, there are some numbering within the parts. I'm unsure if these numbers mark the end of chapters or were placed erroneously. I recommend that the author looks into this issue. I also found more than ten grammatical errors while reading. For this reason, the book does not appear to have been professionally edited.

In conclusion, this is a very entertaining book with a great storyline. However, the book needs another round of editing to eliminate the grammatical errors and to reformat the text. I, therefore, rate the book three out of four stars. I recommend it to anyone interested in detective thriller novels.

Way Down in the Deep Dark
View: on Bookshelves
Insofar as the word 'should' even has meaning, then we must say that the past is exactly as it should be, everything that happened should have happened, and everything that should happen will happen
:techie-studyingbrown:

~ Scott Hughes
Valeria Rotaru
Currently Reading: Of Human Bondage
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valeria-rotaru.html
Latest Review: David's Sling by Andrew Ceroni
2022 Reading Goal: 15
2022 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by Valeria Rotaru »

I would really be interested in reading this book. Although I am a bit skeptical about a parish chanching careers so drastically. And why exactly would he become a detective. Anyways, I'll probably read the book to figure that out.
Amy Luman
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 640
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Shadow: The Moonracer Chronicles by T. August Green

Post by Amy Luman »

I guess we shouldn't judge anyone. We don't know what others are going through.
Yasmine M
Currently Reading: Wild World
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yasmine-m.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah
2022 Reading Goal: 50
2022 Goal Completion: 12%

Post by Yasmine M »

Abel's family shouldn't be too harsh on him. He probably stopped being a Parish Minister because he thought he could serve the people better and he could have access to a wider and diverse public while being a detective. Perhaps he will continue his Minister work while being a detective; I don't know, we will have to read the book to find out. The issue with the numbers in the book is quite serious and confusing.
ExcellenceAwuzie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by ExcellenceAwuzie »

I can totally relate with the first paragraph.
Our lives shouldn't be judged by people's perceptions.

I really feel for Abel. He must have gone through a very hard and challenging time being rejected by family and wife due to his decision.
Summer Henrietta
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-summer-henrietta.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Summer Henrietta »

I envy Abel's courage. He was very brave in his decision making despite the consequences.
Great review.
Rajesh Swar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Rajesh Swar »

We need to think carefully before we make decisions and think freely what ever we are we going to do next.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”