Review of Ordeal Therapy

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Saint Bruno
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: Digging for God by Tom Hillman
fav_author_id: 2484
2022 Reading Goal: 100
2022 Goal Completion: 28%

Review of Ordeal Therapy

Post by Saint Bruno »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Ordeal Therapy" by R Julian Hafner.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

When Julia walked into George Milton's office, he must have assumed that she was just another patient. George is a renowned psychiatrist. He knows better than to become romantically involved with a patient. However, George couldn't resist Julia's advances. If only he had known that Julia had an ulterior motive to see him do what she wanted or kiss his career and freedom goodbye. Can George ever escape her blackmail?

Perhaps the most prominent of George's patients is Paul Kirk, a cabinet minister. He seeks treatment for autoerotic asphyxia and seems to have made international and familial enemies. One day, he is found dead, and the authorities want access to his therapy reports from George, as there's an issue concerning national security. Before Paul died, he told George a secret. Maybe he was killed by his shady business partners. Or could it be George's blackmailer, Julia? Either way, George isn't safe anymore, and it's even worse that he doesn't know who to trust.

What I liked most about this book, Ordeal Therapy by R. Julian Hafner, were the author's graphic descriptions. I loved how he described the environment and characters, making it easy for me to form mental pictures. Using the first-person point of view to tell the story, the author made me feel as if I was watching the events in the book play out on a big screen. I especially liked how I could visualize how the characters looked in some instances due to the author's praiseworthy descriptions. For example, describing Paul Kirk's condition one time he visited George's office, the author writes, "His distinguished face was more drawn than I had ever seen it. In worrying contrast to his usual impeccable grooming, his hair was untidy. I knew he was fifty-six. For the first time, he looked it." I love that because I could vividly imagine what the man was going through.

Another praiseworthy aspect of this book is the characterization. I commend the author for providing the main characters' backstories, as they help the reader relate and empathize with them. They also justified or at least made their actions understandable. Also, the dialogues are believable and natural, and I especially enjoyed the conversations between George and his patients during therapy sessions. The therapy sessions were also eye-opening and informative, and it's easy to assume that the author has an informed background in psychotherapy.

Nevertheless, I wished the narrations in the latter parts of the book could maintain the same level of intrigue they did in the beginning. I didn't enjoy how much the author strayed from the storyline, and these unrelated narrations made me feel like skipping a few pages. However, what I disliked most about the book were some inconceivable decisions made by the characters. Because I don't want to spoil the book for prospective readers, I'd only say that I expected the characters, especially the security agencies, to be more intelligent and prepared to deal with a matter of national security. Also, I encountered a confusing timeline of an event in the novel. On a previous page, George indicated that it was Thursday, but on the next page, he said tomorrow would be Thursday.

Be it as it may, I rate this novel three out of four stars. I enjoyed the narrations and loved how the story ended. The star it lost was due to the issues I noted, and I couldn't rate it lower because its pros outweighed the cons. I found some errors in the publication, but it seemed professionally edited. I recommend Ordeal Therapy to lovers of crime fiction books with a subtle touch of romance.

Ordeal Therapy
View: on Bookshelves
Peace10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peace10.html
Latest Review: The Parrot's Perch by Karen Keilt

Post by Peace10 »

This is a thriller book. There’s a part of your review that I did not understand well. Great review though!
Amy Luman
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 580
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Shadow: The Moonracer Chronicles by T. August Green
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I am a big fan of thrillers, especially the psychological kind. The not knowing is what intrigues me the most. I also enjoy description. As far as I’m concerned there can never be too much!
Patty Allread
Favorite Book: The Problems of Work
Currently Reading: Wild World
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patty-allread.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi
2022 Reading Goal: 30
2022 Goal Completion: 90%

Post by Patty Allread »

I find it difficult to sympathize with George because he is a psychiatrist. Psychiatrists are not known for their honesty and integrity; they are usually the sexual predators, not the other way around.
Richard Azubike
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-richard-azubike.html
Latest Review: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings by Mike L Junior

Post by Richard Azubike »

I cannot understand what was discussed in the book from this review. So I would like to read the book myself.
Saint Bruno
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: Digging for God by Tom Hillman
fav_author_id: 2484
2022 Reading Goal: 100
2022 Goal Completion: 28%

Post by Saint Bruno »

Peace10 wrote: 15 Jun 2022, 10:51 This is a thriller book. There’s a part of your review that I did not understand well. Great review though!
Hello, what part is that please? I'd love to offer some clarity. Thanks for stopping by.
Ramon Scott
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Ramon Scott »

This sounds like my type of book. I am really into thrillers. Your description of this book make me want to read it immediately. I know that I will enjoy. Great review. I really appreciate it!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”