Review of The Soof

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jennifer Garcia 555
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-garcia-555.html
Latest Review: Somebody’s Watching You by Robin D'Amato

Review of The Soof

Post by Jennifer Garcia 555 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Soof" by Samuel G Tooma.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Soof by Samuel G. Tooma is an intense ocean adventure. Lieutenant Odd Bergstrom of the Royal Norwegian Navy was tracking Russian activity in the Arctic Ocean. He had been studying the underwater acoustics for months when suddenly things changed. He immediately contacted his boss and told him he was picking up a strange signal that was not from the normal Russian submarines. The Norwegians were worried that the Russians may be testing a new submarine. After escalating their worries to the Norwegian Security Authority, they decided to notify the American CIA. After exchanging information with the CIA, the officials decide that the Russians are definitely up to something. The group was concerned about the code name, SOOF. They didn’t know what it stood for, but the secrecy had them worried. They eventually figured out that the Russians were building a secret underwater facility with plans to launch an attack. Will the Norwegians and the Americans be able to work together to stop this Russian threat?

This book had an interesting perspective on a covert operation. Dr. Samantha Stone’s research focuses on the ocean environment and its impact on naval systems and operations. She is the main character and plays a huge role in helping with this mission. I love Samantha’s character. She is the only woman on board the submarine during the mission and is not experienced in military operations. Captain Ira Coen was worried about an inexperienced woman being a distraction and hurting their chances of success. Samantha turned out to be an excellent addition to the team. She is brave and takes her job very seriously, but she is also kind and friendly. The men really enjoy her company and her lighthearted attitude. She also thinks of many possible problems with the mission and many helpful solutions. She gains the respect of every person on board the submarine. Samantha is definitely my favorite character, but the author included many interesting and dynamic characters. I enjoyed the addition of the scientific perspective. It sets this book apart from others of its kind.

I like that the author added a romantic element to this book, but I would have liked it to be a bigger part of the story. I also liked Odd Bergstrom. He was a big part of the beginning of the story, but he fades into the background. He was such a likeable character. I would have liked him to be a bigger part of the story. My only other issue with this book is the extensive planning they do. They plan their mission for most of the book. This story could be improved by more action in the first half of the book.

Overall, this was an enjoyable story. I give this book a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. I did not see any editing errors, so this book is clearly professionally edited. I deducted a star based on the issues listed above.

I recommend this book to readers who enjoy stories of military missions. The author included a lot of information about the ocean environments that the crew find themselves in. I also recommend this book to readers interested in ocean environments.

The Soof
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
“Isn’t it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet?” — L. M. Montgomery
Zwelihle_Myeni
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zwelihle-myeni.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Zwelihle_Myeni »

I guess the author wasn't so fond of the idea of the romance theme being the bigger part of the story. I'm glad you enjoyed reading this book, It sounds fascinating and time worthy. Thanks for an excellent review.
Frank Mutuma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-frank-mutuma.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Frank Mutuma »

Sounds like an interesting book

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”