Review of Corrigendum

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sam Ibeh
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-ibeh.html
Latest Review: The vampires: Sodom and Gomorrah by Levănt DuPrae

Review of Corrigendum

Post by Sam Ibeh »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Corrigendum" by E.W. Johnson M.D..]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

E.W. Johnson, M.D., produces another masterpiece in the Dr. Sean Nolan Mysteries. Corrigendum is a refreshing and satisfying read; it leaves you wondering what Dr. Nolan will get into next.

This story was set in the post-Covid-19 era. When a young Asian woman walked into Dr. Nolan's clinic, he couldn't help but feel attached to her. Finding her murdered and written off by the cops, he couldn't sit still. Where would his sense of justice take him?

I was first drawn in by the novel's title; it was a new word for me. However, after reading, it felt befitting for the book's plot. The author has a knack for one-word titles. Although this was my first introduction to the author's published work, I'd be reading his other works.

I warmed up to Dr. Nolan immediately. His personality was so humane that it seemed being a doctor and a father had a hand in it. He was adept at cock-and-bull stories, and his humorous disposition, even during life-threatening situations, made him an interesting character. He made other characters shine in their specific roles. Dr. Nolan was a worthy main character. The author used the popular Eastern Europe trope, as I couldn't help but get into the characters' minds during their conversations.

A noticeable theme was the effect of boredom after the pandemic outbreak and the lockdown that ensued. Most people lacked excitement in their life as they used to before the pandemic. The after-effects of Covid-19 could be seen quite vividly utilized by the author to accentuate his plot scenes.

The idea of modern-day slavery is prevalent in the novel; its effect and danger are real in the book as much as they are in real life. We mostly live in ignorance of the evil that goes on in the world. Human/sex trafficking is still prevalent, and patronizers of such service live among us. Corrigendum serves as an eye-opener to this societal vice. Dr. Nolan shows one way of fighting this menace. He sees in the Asian woman the possibility of her being his daughter. It spurs him to fight something seemingly bigger than him in the best way he can. He is worthy of emulation.

The author's writing style was fluid and direct — no unnecessary fillers. The editing was okay, as I found only a few errors. I had no issues with Corrigendum, and I would rate it 4 out of 4 stars. I would recommend it to lovers of fictional crime and mystery books. You could also check out the other books in the series.

Corrigendum
View: on Bookshelves
Joyce Nwaogazie
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joyce-nwaogazie.html
Latest Review: We Stand Here as A millionaire by Joan Gross

Post by Joyce Nwaogazie »

I'm an avid reader of fictional crime and mystery books and I'm sure I'll find this book worth the time. I'm happy the concept of slavery is discussed here. I'll check out the other books in the series.
Zwelihle_Myeni
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zwelihle-myeni.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Zwelihle_Myeni »

I would like to read more about the book, and see how the author managed to mix the modearn-day slavery theme and post covid 19 era. Thanks for a great recommendation.
Oluwasogo Familusi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluwasogo-familusi.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Oluwasogo Familusi »

Since I have a knack for crime and mystery books, I will have to pick this up and read it. Thanks for the review.
Elenimo Chembe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elenimo-chembe.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Elenimo Chembe »

I have read a lot of crime and mystery novels but this one has a unique storyline. Can't wait to read it.
Dami Bassam
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Dami Bassam »

The history speak essentially about crime, the author give many examples , and doctor Nolan make many efforts to find different type of solution. This pandemic come in earth and destroy the happiness of life, economy and all behaviours of persons un the world changés (distance between persons, clean all things for prevention of health.). "Not have ordinary life, we decrease all types of relation with psychologic difficulties, during the pandemic.".
Amy Luman
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

Based on your review I’ll be reading this one. Quite possibly I will be reading D. Johnson’s other works as well. You are right, we do try to hide from the horrors of these modern-day problems.
Austin Debby
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-austin-debby.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Austin Debby »

This book was ideal and outright realistic. I enjoyed reading your review. Thank you for an amazing review.
NetMassimo
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an engaging crime thriller that has a well-constructed protagonist and a plot that digs into really dark sides of humanity that still exist. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Benedicta1970
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-benedicta1970.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Benedicta1970 »

You are very right,human/sex trafficking is still prevalent, and patronizers of such service live among us.would love to read more about the book.Thanks for the review.
Hubre De Klerk
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Currently Reading: Forged in Death
Bookshelf Size: 476
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hubre-de-klerk.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B075XP6ZZ4
fav_author_id: 3720

Post by Hubre De Klerk »

This sounds like an amazing book and the sample was catching from the start. I had to read up what Corrigendum means as it is also a new word to me. The cover of this book is also catching and makes you wonder what goes on in the book with a cover like that! Well done on #BOTD and an amazing review. I love crime and mystery books, so this is one for my shelves!
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I am a huge fan of mysteries, including medical thrillers. And I am Asian. I am totally intrigued by the plot. Is the dead girl a victim of sex trafficking? Atrocious, but very possible.
kiki2881
Currently Reading: The diary of a little girl
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kiki2881.html
Latest Review: The Neighbour At Number 18 (Reload) by Hawa Crickmore

Post by kiki2881 »

The book cover gives me chills, and when I read the book was set after Covid 19 pandemic the first thing I had in mind was what was on the news where there were mass burials and the rapid rate of deaths which was scary and sad at the same time. Then your review took me to the complexity of this book when I read the middle. I think Johnson did a great job writing this book and making it a platform to discuss social issues. I also like books that's just recently published or written which don't pretend Covid 19 pandemic has not happened.
Sou Hi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Congrats on BOTD. Looks like this book has touched on the current issues of our modern world, such as the after-effects of Covid-19, slavery, and human/sex trafficking. I'm looking forward to how the author would explore them.
Jorge Leon Salazar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jorge-leon-salazar.html
Latest Review: The Artificial Intelligence Rights and Responsibilities Act” by Alton Booth

Post by Jorge Leon Salazar »

The character of Dr. Sean Nolan seems intriguing because of his sense of justice. The theme of the boredom effect after the pandemic outbreak and lockdown is appealing. Also, the author seeks to open eyes to problems such as sexual/human trafficking. Sounds interesting.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”