Review of Pignon Scorbion & the Barbershop Detectives

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Everydayadventure15
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 277
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-everydayadventure15.html
Latest Review: If Time Stood Still by Paula Marie
2022 Reading Goal: 50
2022 Goal Completion: 80%

Review of Pignon Scorbion & the Barbershop Detectives

Post by Everydayadventure15 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Pignon Scorbion & the Barbershop Detectives" by Rick Bleiweiss.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Few can deny the fame and popularity of the clever yet eccentric Sherlock Holmes, and not many would contradict the success of Hercule Poirot when it comes to solving crimes through the power of observation and deduction. Newcomer Pignon Scorbion just started his role as the chief inspector for the small English community of Haxford. Still, he’s just as credible as his predecessors in the art of solving mysteries and uncovering the truth. Join Pignon Scorbion & the Barbershop Detectives as they practice their sleuthing skills to solve three intriguing cases in the new novel by Rick Bleiweiss.

If you’re a fan of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and Agatha Christie, you’ll want to check out this collection of quirky cases. Bleiweiss quickly familiarizes readers with the strengths and unique qualities that distinguish the title character through this introductory novel. I loved the confidence and the charming personality of the new police inspector. His friendship with Calvin Brown, the barbershop owner, opened the door for the delightful ensemble of amateur detectives to join in on the investigations. My favorite was the inquisitive Billy Arthurson, an aspiring writer, but I also enjoyed the antics of Yves and Barnabus, two of the seasoned employees of the shop. In addition, the reader also has the pleasure of eventually meeting Thelma Smith, the charming and intelligent woman who rivals Scorbion in his skills of deduction and serves to keep him on his toes through the investigations.

I appreciated the diversity in the cases presented, and I loved how each was challenging to solve. I also loved how the clues kept me guessing as I tried to predict the outcomes. I was further satisfied with how the book came full circle. However, I was not particularly fond of how redundant the final resolution of the third case was. I felt like Pignon drew out the revelation longer than necessary, and the presentation was a little over the top. Still, I enjoyed the book overall, and the author hooked me for the sequel with the final development presented in the last pages. This tidbit of information promised a second book with the continuation of a romantic relationship introduced in this novel.

The book was professionally edited, and I found only one error throughout the pages. Since there was nothing that I disliked except the length of the conclusion of the third case, I had no reason to reduce the rating. Therefore, I give Pignon Scorbion & the Barbershop Detectives four out of four stars.

I’ve already mentioned that this book would be a good fit for Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and Agatha Christie fans. The series of whodunnits may also appeal to those who enjoy cozy mysteries that focus on intrigue more than suspense. The casual pacing made this novel a laid-back and enjoyable read with few instances of borderline swearing and no erotic content.

Pignon Scorbion & the Barbershop Detectives
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ezidimma 01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ezidimma-01.html
Latest Review: Seeing with Fresh Eyes by John W. Bullock

Post by Ezidimma 01 »

Great book about solving cases.Thank you for your review nice one.
Elendu Ekechukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elendu-ekechukwu.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Elendu Ekechukwu »

I love books that make me think like a detective. I can't wait to read this one
Jen Nghishitende
Currently Reading: Wisdom
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jen-nghishitende.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi
2022 Reading Goal: 18
2022 Goal Completion: 111%

Post by Jen Nghishitende »

I don't normally read these types of books, but your review makes the book sound worth a read. I like how you say the book has clues that kept you guessing, that kind of suspense is sure to keep one reading. Thank you for the review.
Amy Luman
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 573
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Shadow: The Moonracer Chronicles by T. August Green
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I like detective novels. Sometimes I think of myself as a sleuth, but nobody would ever hire me. I take the clues and am sure that I know the perpetrator of the crime, but I am always wrong! Fortunately, there are some better at it than me.
Chinonso Onwurah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinonso-onwurah.html
Latest Review: Stupid Divorce by Vincent Fudge II

Post by Chinonso Onwurah »

The brilliance on display in detective novels always fascinates me. I'm sure I'll love this book. You write so well.
Faiso
Currently Reading: A Dream for Peace
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faiso.html
Latest Review: The Decision by Michael D. Komeshak
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Faiso »

The fact that you included Christie Agatha in your review caught my attention. Your review is helpful and very effective
Uwe Neufeld
Favorite Author: Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Favorite Book: Treasure Island
Currently Reading: The Maestro Monologue
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uwe-neufeld.html
Latest Review: Living in Color by Mike Murphy
fav_author_id: 3039
2022 Reading Goal: 20
2022 Goal Completion: 110%

Post by Uwe Neufeld »

Nice review! So the spirit of Agatha Christie and Arthur Conan Doyle is still alive. I'll have have to check this out.
Ifesi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ifesi.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Ifesi »

This book would make a great movie. Nice review!
Blessing E
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-e.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Blessing E »

Superbly written review that explored the core concepts of the novel. I know know whether to read this book or not. Nice

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”