Review of Rat Trap

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Michelle Fred
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 125
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-fred.html
Latest Review: Junglenomics by Simon M Lamb
2022 Reading Goal: 100
2022 Goal Completion: 20%

Review of Rat Trap

Post by Michelle Fred »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Rat Trap" by James Rutter.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Like many businesses in the UK, ExTrail Riding Centre was reeling from the effects of the COVID lockdown. Then, three days after reopening, it got robbed. The criminals made away with fifteen of the leisure bike riding business's prized bikes. The owner, Simon, contacted the police, but their investigation wasn't yielding encouraging results, and his insurance company was finding creative ways to wriggle itself out of paying his insurance claims. Watching the business he had given his all failing before his eyes was more than he could bear, so he took matters into his own hands.

What pulled me into Rat Trap is its ordinariness. It's a story about ordinary people living ordinary lives and recovering from the pandemic like everyone else until an incident changed the course of their lives. From Georgia's complaints about her incessant Zoom meetings to the effect of the lockdown on Simon's business, the book has so many relatable elements that made me feel right at home within its pages.

The author told the story from Simon and Georgia's perspectives. I enjoyed getting into both characters' heads and understanding their disparate worldviews. One of the fun aspects of the narrative style is seeing how differently men and women interpret scenarios. For example, I found it amusing that Georgia thought Simon was visiting other towns for covert dalliances while his business was literally tanking. Another feature that I loved was the change in Georgia's calm and collected personality. It made the book that much more suspenseful and entertaining.

The only aspect of the book I didn't like was the tone used when Georgia narrated her experience with Boyle to Simon. I expected it to read like a person telling another person a story. Instead, it seemed like she was talking to the reader and not the person sitting next to her.

I wouldn't call the book a light read because it has some gore, not much, but enough to repulse squeamish readers. That being said, it's a good exposition of the human psyche and how far people can go when pushed to the wall.

Overall, it's a solid crime thriller with a great premise and excellent execution. For a first-time author, James Rutter did exceedingly well. Though I found some typos in it, the editing has an expert touch. Considering all these factors, I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars. Readers that enjoy crime thrillers will find the book a worthwhile read. However, prospective readers should beware that the book contains profanities and details of sexual abuse.

Rat Trap
View: on Bookshelves
Amy Luman
Currently Reading: Before Dawn
Bookshelf Size: 499
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: The Decision by Michael D. Komeshak
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I liked this review, it really intrigued me. I don’t like lots of gore in the books that I read, so I’m glad you mentioned it even if it’s only a little. I think I’ll be fine with it since the book sounds so interesting.
derick scribbles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-derick-scribbles.html
Latest Review: The Truth Is Beyond Belief! by Jerry Durr

Post by derick scribbles »

What an interesting read! Sounds like a book I would have on my shelf. This is a wonderful review. Keep up the good work.
Linda Venable-Ward
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linda-venable-ward.html
Latest Review: The Elephant Tooth of '95 by Rana Baydoun
2022 Reading Goal: 12
2022 Goal Completion: 25%

Post by Linda Venable-Ward »

Your review made me realize that COVID had a bigger affect on society than the illness itself. When you think about the emergency industry, they too was hit hard by the pandemic. There was less police enforcement which allowed people with no morals to take advantage of unmanned areas. Don't know if I will be opened to read. But I am sure someone out there will be able to relate to the events in this book. Great review!
Oluwanifesimi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluwanifesimi.html
Latest Review: Stolen Grace by Rev Errol E Leslie

Post by Oluwanifesimi »

I like to read more on COVID disease and I am glad I read your review which briefly explains the effect caused by this disease.
You did a great work.
ellimctreph
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellimctreph.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by ellimctreph »

Wow! The whole conflict with the bikes getting stolen sound like it's going to make for an amazing story, can't wait to pick it up.
Olamide Akinola
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olamide-akinola.html
Latest Review: Fast Starting a Career of Consequence: Workbook by Fred Sievert

Post by Olamide Akinola »

Am glad the review gave full insights into what the book is all about. The review also showed that the book title is related to the storyline and not just out of line.
Thanks for such great review.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”