Review of Lady In Red

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
Currently Reading: Life at the Precipice
Bookshelf Size: 755
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: Embrace Your Age by JAMES B. FLAHERTY ... An octogenarian with a bright future.

Review of Lady In Red

Post by Bertha Jackson »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Lady In Red" by B. Ann Bayliss.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Senator Stephen Wright dies of a heart attack, and employees of the Falcon-Rowe Life Insurance Company are disappearing or dying. A $1,000,000 life insurance policy was taken out on them just before their deaths or disappearance. Rod Saunders sends John Bryan to investigate undercover. John runs into his friend, Mike, at the airport, and they decide to go to dinner to catch up on old times. John sees a lady in red at the restaurant and falls instantly in love. Detective Mike Gabrielli is investigating Kyle Evans’s death, but John does not want to confide in him because he is afraid of blowing his cover. John meets fellow resident Nate Eden at his new apartment house. Nate is a computer genius with a mysterious past. Rod Saunders is in a hit-and-run accident. Will he survive, or is he another victim of the killer(s)? Will John solve the crimes?

Lady In Red: A Mystery of Murder and Intrigue by B. Ann Bayliss has many positive aspects. Told from the third perspective, B. Ann Bayliss has thoroughly described the demographics, from the speed limit on curvy roads to a 20-foot fence around the life insurance company that keeps the wildlife in the woods out. Each character is fully developed, and I could feel their love, fear, and anxieties. There is suspense and mystery that kept me reading and intrigued throughout the book. I am not going to give away any spoilers, but the end of the story gives me hope that there is a sequel in the making. However, the ending is sufficient and brings closure to the plot.

The negative aspects of this book are few. There are a few instances where Italian is used without translation, and I had to look up the translation because I was unsure what the author was saying. Although I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book, I was disappointed that the author did not have the book professionally edited. A professional editor would have found the many typographical and grammatical errors throughout the book.

The positive aspects outweigh the negative, so I am rating this book 3 out of 4 stars. The lack of translations is minimal, and I did enjoy the fast-paced, action-packed plot, so there is no reason to give this book fewer stars. The number of mistakes is the only reason I deducted one star.

I recommend this book to readers who enjoy reading romance, mystery, and crime-thriller books. The book is more appropriate for readers over 16 years of age because it contains murder, verbal abuse, and non-borderline profanity.

Lady In Red
View: on Bookshelves
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Blessing E
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-e.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Blessing E »

Romance and thriller in one book. This is sure a perfect read for me. Nicely written review. I understand what this book is about
Jemainah Chalwe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Jemainah Chalwe »

Romance and Thriller has been my favorite types of books to read. I will definitely check out .
Ifesi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ifesi.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Ifesi »

I love romance novels!. Nice review with captivating title.
Uwe Neufeld
Favorite Author: Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Favorite Book: Treasure Island
Currently Reading: Reconfigurement
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uwe-neufeld.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel
fav_author_id: 3039

Post by Uwe Neufeld »

Crime and romance, sounds like a Holywood movie. But the good review lets look it a lot more interesting.
NdegwaSalome
Currently Reading: Four Pebbles on a Bench
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ndegwasalome.html
Latest Review: The Arrow That Flies By Day by John Servant

Post by NdegwaSalome »

Perfect combination! Thriller gives and goosebumps and romance is the cherry on top, the reviews make it seem great.
Zeph Dim
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zeph-dim.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Zeph Dim »

I was intrigued by the title of the book "Lady In Red". This made me quickly want to catch a glimpse of the book through the review. Now after going through the review my appetite is whetted the more. For a lover of mystery and suspense, the review alone kick-starts the heart; so the book has to be read. Great review.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

Romance is not my thing but this seems like an intriguing mystery that offers a lot of information about how insurance companies work and I have no problems reading Italian phrases. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Mary Ndirangu 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-ndirangu-1.html
Latest Review: Schroedinger The Wonder Cat by Aaron Rosen

Post by Mary Ndirangu 1 »

I love stories where characters are thoroughly developed. It makes any story seem real. I feel like I would enjoy the book. Thank you for the review.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”