Review of Operation Undertow

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Adaeze Joan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adaeze-joan.html
Latest Review: Childhood memories at twilight by Likengkeng Sargeaunt

Review of Operation Undertow

Post by Adaeze Joan »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Operation Undertow" by Gerald Gregory Doane.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The story began with a robbery on Fulton’s street. A market plaza was thrown into disarray when Jon’ell, Jamal, and Damon held about nine people hostage. Thankfully, the police were equal to the task. Operation Undertow: A Police Commander Goes Rogue to Stem the Tide of Terrorism in the “City by the Bay” by Gerald Gregory Doane is an action-packed crime thriller. With 84 chapters, this book takes its readers through a rollercoaster of events.

Over the past weeks, the attacks by the terrorists became rampant, ranging from robbery to arson attacks and even bombings. Greg, the commander of the special operation unit, did all he could to apprehend the suspects while under the supervision of his boss, Benjamin. The attacks got worse after the special operation unit was put in reserve status due to some political radicalism. Houses were set ablaze, and the death of police officers occurred day after day. The Mayor and the police department, including the FBI, were placed in a tough spot. What step would Greg take next? The terrorists seemed to have more tactics and dangerous weapons.

The author did a good job of developing each character. Before introducing a new character, the author gives details about their role in the story. Greg is the main character and the narrator of the story. The writing style was very descriptive and easy to understand. Some of the themes explored in this book were crime, love, betrayal, terrorism, and politics. One of the things I enjoyed while reading this book was how the author described each scene so vividly. I got a glimpse of how the police force and FBI operate, the terms used, protocols, and some of the weapons used. To avoid confusion about where each event took place, the author made sure the setting was specified at the beginning of each chapter.

Though the plot was unique and interesting, it was quite lengthy. At some points, the author added extra details, which I found unnecessary. There were grammar and punctuation errors. I rate this book a 2 out of 4 stars. I removed two stars because of the complaints stated above. I also feel this book needs another round of editing.

I recommend this book to mature adults who enjoy reading crime thrillers and who are interested in having a peek at how the police and FBI carry out their operations. Readers should also note that this book contains strong sexual content and profane language.

Operation Undertow
View: on Bookshelves
smoothcrowd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smoothcrowd.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by smoothcrowd »

There is nothing as good as an undercover cop book in the morning :D
With a bit more editing, the book should be back on its feet.
Thanks for the detailed review.
I believe that great success is possible in any field - From music to mathematics to macro trading.
peter-turo
Favorite Book: Rescuing General Patton
Currently Reading: Murder in the Garbage
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peter-turo.html
Latest Review: Deviancy by Rose Linderman, Psy.D.
2022 Reading Goal: 24
2022 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by peter-turo »

Great review though I'll pass on this one. I dont like to much detail on characters.
Halgate95
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-halgate95.html
Latest Review: Bar Maid by Daniel Roberts

Post by Halgate95 »

Good crime novels are always worth reading. Hopefully, it gets properly edited and gets the stars it deserves.
ButterscotchCherrie
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 353
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-butterscotchcherrie.html
Latest Review: Duality Protocol by Christopher B Lane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1

Post by ButterscotchCherrie »

Thanks for the introduction, though I don't normally read thrillers. I'm intrigued to know, though - which city by a bay is this, and what is the significance of the undertow? That cover screams, "Surf!"
Pronouns: she, her
Amy Luman
Currently Reading: Before Dawn
Bookshelf Size: 505
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: The Decision by Michael D. Komeshak
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I am really entertained by crime thrillers and lots of detail regarding both characters and the environment makes the story very interesting to me. I’m sorry to hear that so many errors were present,though.
Wisdom Kpodo 1
Currently Reading: The Prophecy Has Begun
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by Wisdom Kpodo 1 »

There is nothing as good as an undercover cop book in the morning :D
With a bit more editing, the book should be back on its feet.
Thanks for the detailed review.
Blessing E
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-e.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Blessing E »

Detailed information here. I appreciate well written reviews. This is because it gives me an idea of how to structure my reviews subsequently. Thanks teaching me what a good review is. And congratulations for having your review published.
Christopherio
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christopherio.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison
2022 Reading Goal: 30
2022 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by Christopherio »

Watching a detective do their things while investigating or spying for a just cause is always a good read. Thanks for the review
Cocobutta
Currently Reading: The Clouds Still Hang
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cocobutta.html
Latest Review: Seeking... Finding... Healing... by Becky Lu Jackson

Post by Cocobutta »

Great review! Sadly, I do not like lengthy books. The plot sounds interesting though.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”