Review of The Journeyman

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JM Reviews
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 164
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jm-reviews.html
Latest Review: The House of Spark by Luminita Laflash
2022 Reading Goal: 150
2022 Goal Completion: 16%

Review of The Journeyman

Post by JM Reviews »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Journeyman" by Peter Babakitis.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Government officials, or the people we elect to lead us, often involve themselves in illegal activities, the worst of all being corruption. Some individuals always try to expose them, and when they find out, they get rid of them, so their activities do not come to light. This is what happened to Lawrence and Ariana in the novel The Journeyman by Peter Babakitis. The book is full of thrilling actions, which become more and more exciting as one proceeds with their reading.

This book is about Lawrence, a spy who tries to expose the fraud in the Eurozone and the manipulation of the economy. In the course of his investigative work, he goes to Athens, where he meets an activist named Ariana. Ariana had also been investigating certain crimes in her country; her primary motivation was her brother's death. They, therefore, agree to work together in order to bring down people like Zoric and Waldenstein. They risk putting their lives in danger as the people they threaten to expose send assassins to get rid of them so that they don't expose what they already know.

This book has ninety-one pages. It is divided into twelve chapters. The book is written from the third-person point of view, and it uses both the present and the past tenses. At the end of the book, we are given a preview of the next book in The Journeyman series. The author also provides us with a link where we can find out more about his films.

There are several things that I liked about the book. However, in this review, I'll only mention a few that I found more appealing. First, I liked how the plot was arranged; the book had several plot twists, yet it was still so easy to understand with no confusion. I also liked how the book was full of suspense; my curiosity grew as the plot developed, and I couldn't wait to unravel certain plot twists. For example, I wanted to find out who the woman watching Lawrence was. This kept me glued to the screen all day.

Although this is a brilliant book, it has some flaws. First, the author introduced several characters, some of whom appeared only once in the book. I, therefore, found it hard to remember each character, as I often confused one for another. Second, although I only found six grammatical errors while reading, this book doesn't seem to have been professionally edited; most of the mistakes are simple and could have been easily noticed by a professional editor.

In conclusion, this is a brilliant book with an exciting storyline. However, the aforementioned flaws affected my enjoyment of the book. I, therefore, rate it three out of four stars. I recommend it to those who like reading action and thriller books.

The Journeyman
View: on Bookshelves
No battle is ever won; they are not even fought. The field only reveals to man his own folly and
despair, and victory is an illusion of philosophers and fools.
:D

~ William Faulkner
Amy Luman
Currently Reading: Before Dawn
Bookshelf Size: 505
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: The Decision by Michael D. Komeshak
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I have always thought there was more corruption in the political arena than the general public was made aware of. As a general rule, weak willed people seem drawn to that profession. I am glad that, at least in fiction, people like Lawrence and Ariana exist to take care of the problem.
Kingsondml
Currently Reading: How to Live a Life of Hope
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kingsondml.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is Not What You Think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Kingsondml »

Thank you for this honest, in-depth review. I love the thematic content of this book, as depicted through Lawrence, Arianna, and the corrupt leaders. Lawrence and Arianna represent the honest, patriotic citizens. And it is unfortunate that these people often suffer persecution, and even get rejected and ridiculed by fellow citizens whose interest they are fighting to protect.
Kingsondml
Currently Reading: How to Live a Life of Hope
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kingsondml.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is Not What You Think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Kingsondml »

Amy Luman wrote: 05 May 2022, 10:11 I have always thought there was more corruption in the political arena than the general public was made aware of. As a general rule, weak willed people seem drawn to that profession. I am glad that, at least in fiction, people like Lawrence and Ariana exist to take care of the problem.
Yeah. And I still believe that beyond this, in fiction, there are still good and patriotic people out there. It's just unfortunate that they are a few of them out there, and they are often persecuted.
Patty Allread
Favorite Book: The Problems of Work
Currently Reading: How I Found Buddha On The Trading Floor
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patty-allread.html
Latest Review: Free Fish Friday by Lee Stone
2022 Reading Goal: 30
2022 Goal Completion: 73%

Post by Patty Allread »

It sounds like there is a lot packed into this relatively short novel. Political corruption is a very hot topic, too!
Gnex_09
Favorite Book: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gnex-09.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith

Post by Gnex_09 »

This sounds like a great book and I look forward to reading it someday..
Sarah Sonbol
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-sonbol.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Sarah Sonbol »

This looks like a perfect read for me. I love thrillres and crimes mixed with politics and corruption. Thanks for the great review.
Christopherio
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christopherio.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison
2022 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by Christopherio »

Spying and revealing government secrets is a hot topic and should be given lots Of time and attention. Thanks for the review.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The 90 Day Peace Project by Alice Langholt, Ph.D.

Post by Ellylion »

I agree, many characters that do not play a big part in the narrative are tiresome to follow. But I believe the book is worth reading thanks to all twists and turns of the plot. Thanks for a great review!
Christopherio
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christopherio.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison
2022 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by Christopherio »

I like how the book expresses re al life events and how the leaders execute people who start to catch on and get smarter.
ellimctreph
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellimctreph.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by ellimctreph »

This reminds me of another book. I enjoyed it and thanks for the great review!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”