Review of Drowning in Shallow Water

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nazzy_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nazzy.html
Latest Review: The Tragic Age by Stephen Metcalfe

Review of Drowning in Shallow Water

Post by Nazzy_ »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Drowning in Shallow Water" by David S McDermont.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Gavin Carter, a procurement consultant, gets himself into trouble in India while trying to expose the government official's corruption and deliver a report on his findings on the National Country Roads Program. The official, Ranjay Gupta, was coincidentally murdered, and Carter was accused of the murder. This led to the turn out of many unplanned happenings in Carter's life. Having lost very important persons in his life, Carter had an option to wallow in the pit of depression or take a risk that would guarantee him a great deal of success if adequately managed or failure if not carefully considered—giving up a twenty-year career to start a boating company.

His decision to design and build his boat was a decision that would cost him a lot. Carter had many threats to his mental stability, financial capability, and relational potential. The past murder case was also lurking in thick darkness. Did Carter make the right decision? A whole new journey began when he met his new business partners. Were his new business partners worth taking a chance?

Drowning in Shallow Water by David S McDermont is a suspenseful thriller. It portrays love, hate, deceit, friendship, betrayal, and trust mixed with tension, suicide, anxiety, and somewhat unrealistic dreams. The storyline is very mysterious, and locked up in it are deep secrets, unresolved crimes, unforeseen murders, and painful heartbreaks.

The story of Gavin Carter, although fiction, will be an appreciated one in our current day society. The imbalances of life all conjured up together to put Carter through a defining period of his life.

I enjoyed the narrative. The narrative was written so that you couldn't possibly predict the turn out of events. What one thought to be the main content turned out to be the tip of the iceberg. The culprit was always there but never recognized. History arranged itself to unfold its secret tenaciously, leaving a stunning imprint on the reader's mind.

However, the author did not stick to a particular name of the characters, which could either be the first name or surname of the character. He intertwined both at the same time. For instance, he consistently used Gavin and Carter separately and in different instances, making them look like two different persons. This was the only feature that I did not like. There were a few errors. So I believe the book was still professionally edited.

My rating for Drowning in Shallow Water is 4 out of 4 stars because the author did a brilliant job of putting this manuscript together. If you enjoy friendship and relationship-centered books, this might be the right one. Also, this book will benefit readers who love mystery and crime-related stories.

Drowning in Shallow Water
View: on Bookshelves
Amy Luman
Currently Reading: Before Dawn
Bookshelf Size: 505
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: The Decision by Michael D. Komeshak
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

Your review of this novel really made me want to read it. Gavin’s situation, minus the murder, is one that a lot of people face at one time or another. I can understand the confusion presented by his having two first names, but I think I can deal with it.
Gwrites208
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gwrites208.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight
2022 Reading Goal: 40
2022 Goal Completion: 25%

Post by Gwrites208 »

It's ok that the narrative is interesting with sense suspense. Well, I'll have to pass this on. I'm not looking forward to such a fiction book for now
I'm coming for you, the world
Ntokozo Joy
Currently Reading: Inner engineering
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ntokozo-joy.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed
Reading Device: 1400697484
2022 Reading Goal: 24
2022 Goal Completion: 25%

Post by Ntokozo Joy »

A book about taking chances with numerous twists and turns. Sounds enjoyable. Thanks for the review.
Sarah Sonbol
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-sonbol.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Sarah Sonbol »

This sounds like an intriguing mystery book. I enjoy books with unpredictable events. Thanks for the wonderful review.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”