Review of A Shattered Calm

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Erin Dydek
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Review of A Shattered Calm

Post by Erin Dydek »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Shattered Calm" by Bruce F B Hall.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Never steal millions of dollars from the mafia; this is the lesson that Nate Vickers had to learn the hard way. The poorly planned heist cost him everything—including the woman he loved. In his escape, Nate involved his only family, putting his uncle in grave danger.

Living a simple life on his sailboat, Serendipity, Nate thought he had put his past failures behind him. Life in the quiet seaside town of British Columbia provided a place to start again and wipe his slate clean with good deeds to serve the community. But Nate soon learns that you can't hide from the mafia forever; one small mistake and the patient predator will find its prey. Nate's peaceful life is about to be shattered, again putting the ones he loves in harm's way. Will he ever find a way to put his life together again and protect the most precious people in his world?

I loved escaping into the exciting story found in A Shattered Calm by Bruce F. B. Hall. Nate Vickers was a complex character that continued to develop as the novel progressed, and I enjoyed observing the events play out. The author detailed many exciting and suspenseful scenes, leaving me wondering if Nate would ever have peace again. The main characters were involved in many car chases, escapes on foot, and even a perilous journey in a sailboat! But woven amongst the high-action scenes, there was plenty of time for the author to reveal Nate's involvement with the local community, his new love interest, and his building confrontation with the local troublemaker.

I loved how the book's opening section was action-packed and set the pace for the novel. The stakes were high, and I loved how the author outlined the life that Nate established in the seaside town. Knowing the trouble that searched for Nate made the book suspenseful, and I loved cheering for Nate to evade his pursuers to achieve the happy ending he desired. I lost track of which organization each antagonist belonged to a couple of times. Fortunately, the author clarified everything in the climactic scene at the end of part two. I appreciated the exciting ending outlined in the third part of the book and was satisfied with the events of the epilogue.

The thing that I disliked most about the book was the number of editing errors. There were significantly more than ten throughout the writing, so I had to reduce the rating by one star. Therefore, I give A Shattered Calm three out of four stars.

I'd recommend this engaging heist story to readers who enjoy stories about escaping the criminal life and starting anew. There was non-borderline language throughout the novel but no erotic content. This book will be perfect for your reading wish list if you like an excellent blend of thrilling events, romance, and a satisfying ending.

A Shattered Calm
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Okoye Chinonso+
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Spare Time Novels
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinonso-okoye.html
Latest Review: Yonder's Quest by Kyle Robertson
fav_author_id: 156444

Post by Okoye Chinonso+ »

After reading the review, the title and the storyline seem to be highly connected (A shattered calm). Nate, a man who has lost everything. I'm looking forward to reading this book. Seems like something I would enjoy.
I believe that great success is possible in any field - From music to mathematics to macro trading.
Christopherio
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christopherio.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by Christopherio »

The once peaceful life of Nate a man with a mischievous past is shattered as his past comes to hunt him. I like that the cover and title compliments the storyline.Great review.
rose203
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rose203.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud

Post by rose203 »

Nate's story is a truly gripping one. The author also depicts the criminal underworld in such an original and authentic way. Thanks for a great review.
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
ellimctreph
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellimctreph.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by ellimctreph »

One of my favourite tropes to see is a hardened character with a past they've left behind but it comes back to haunt them. Great review.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an engaging crime thriller about a man who crossed the wrong people and has to deal with the consequences. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”