Review of The Poe Consequence

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
TheGayOne12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thegayone12.html
Latest Review: Tarja Titan by TC Marti

Review of The Poe Consequence

Post by TheGayOne12 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Poe Consequence" by Keith Steinbaum.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Poe Consequence by Keith Steinbaum is a unique book, and I've definitely never read such a book. The novel deals with the lives of street gangs and all the danger that comes with that. The story mainly centers around two brothers--Warren and Kevin. Although they are brothers, they couldn't be more different. Warren is a lot into psychics, which I thought was a super interesting detail to add to the book. A terrible thing happens, and Wren's son finds himself without a father, his uncle Kevin being the only person he can count on. Kevin has to come to terms with it all and figure out how to raise a kid on his own.

The storyline progresses with the characters being very well developed. I just felt like I could see the whole thing play out right in front of my eyes. This is thanks to the author being descriptive and characters that are outstanding and deeply developed with genuine personalities, and the audience will love discovering more about their backstories. The backdrop of the story resembles ordinary streets with decent people just trying to survive such conditions and remain human throughout it all. The author does a fabulous job of pitting two sets of people against each other and shedding light on the fact that there's no such thing as pure moral and immoral. It's always much more complicated than that.

Wren's son, Seth, is a very interesting character. We see him having to come to terms with his father being killed by two rival Mexican gangs. This will set a deep hatred in his heart for people of Mexican descent. Again, I have to credit the author for creating and shaping such a character as Seth, who will have to realize that his racist views are not okay and can be harmful. This was probably the storyline I enjoyed the most in the entire novel.

While reading this novel, I couldn't find a thing I did not enjoy about it. It helped me understand and see things much more clearly about matters I had previously no knowledge of. I feel like this is mostly why I would recommend this book. It takes the readers deep into the lives of these people and showcases the unsafe life some people lead.

Since there aren't things I did not enjoy about this book, I decided to award it a well-deserved four out of four stars. I absolutely cannot wait to look more into this author and try his next books. After such a remarkable book, I'm sure he can't create a book I'd call bad.

The Poe Consequence
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

I like books that show ambiguity and shades of grey, so I'm impressed that Steinbaum takes a nuanced look at street gangs. Is this set in a US city?
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”