Review of The Presence of Justice

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Danielle Briggs
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danielle-briggs.html
Latest Review: Moonlit Nights by Jacob Parr

Review of The Presence of Justice

Post by Danielle Briggs »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Presence of Justice" by Elvis Bray.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Presence of Justice by Elvis Bray is a novel about Andrew Hanson, a high school football player who moves to Clarksville, Arizona for his father's new job as Assistant Police Chief. Once there, Andrew joins their failing football team and meets the perfect girl to win over. Even though the family begins to feel at home and safe there, they learn of the unsolved murders of three high school football players. By pure luck, Andrew finds some new clues that will help his father solve these murders and ultimately bring peace to the town.

I enjoyed the author’s ability to bring the many elements of westerns into a modern-day, realistic setting. For example, there are shootouts, wildlife, and ranches, but also high school football, teen bullies, and school dances. The author’s choice to write in the first person gave Andrew more depth as the main character, and his kind, pure heart is present throughout the book, making me like him more and more with every page. I loved the constant suspense of the ongoing murder investigation. Unlike some murder mysteries, I was unable to figure out the murderer or motive until it was revealed at the end. Even with the murder mystery and everyday high school problems Andrew faces, it's refreshing that the author is still able to provide comic relief from time to time throughout the book. The author provides vivid descriptions, which allowed me to feel immersed in the story every time I was writing it.

The only negative I had was that Andrew seemed like too perfect of a character. He had no flaws and made no judgment mistakes throughout the book, which made him seem a little unrealistic, especially for a teenage boy.

I would recommend this book to readers who enjoy western novels and/or murder mysteries. It is suitable for all readers as there is very little profanity or violence. Fans of football will enjoy this book as well, because the descriptions of the games are in depth and allow the reader to visualize the game as it is happening. There are a few brief descriptions of dead bodies that some may not find pleasant, but they are quick and can be skimmed through if necessary.

There is suspense, action, romance, and comedy all rolled up together within this book, making it a very enjoyable read. The negative listed above did not take away from the storyline or my enjoyment of the book, so I gladly give this book a 4 out of 4.

The Presence of Justice
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”