Review of Light at The End

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Currently Reading: on the fringes of perception
Bookshelf Size: 458
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin
2022 Reading Goal: 100
2022 Goal Completion: 58%

Review of Light at The End

Post by Bertha Jackson »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Light at The End" by Henry G.M. Jones.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Light at The End by Henry G.M. Jones is a crime thriller about a serial killer. Detective Ruben Keller's 18-month-old daughter, Emma, was kidnapped from her daycare, and he can not rest until she is found either dead or alive, and the kidnapper(s) found. Gordon Fulmer's nine-year-old son, Wyatt, and his friend, Emmet Fowler, were kidnapped walking to school. Emmet's headless body was found in a culvert, but Wyatt was never found. Keller investigates four murders that appear to have been committed by the same person. The first victim was a male dentist who fell asleep while watching TV, the second was a man killed in his bed in the middle of the night, the third was a female killed in her hallway, and the fourth was another man in bed asleep. The only evidence connecting these four victims is that they are all pedophiles and were killed with an ax or hammer. The suspect is not out of control but on a mission. He goes in, kills them, and leaves. Who is committing the murders? Will Emma and Wyatt be found?

This book has several positive aspects. Henry G.M. Jones kept me riveted to the book from beginning to the end. The characters are fully developed, and I could empathize with the murderer and understand his motive for the killings. After reading this book, you will wonder if you have adequately taught your children how to defend themselves. If they cannot outrun danger, they need to learn how to get away. For example, poke out eyes, kick, scream, control their temper, and do not let their emotions get in the way, to name a few. I have never thought of hammers or axes as the perfect weapons because they are difficult to track. The book's darkness is revealed by the professional black and white illustrations at the beginning of each chapter.

Although this is a dark book about crimes against children, I disliked nothing about it. The book has a fast-paced, well-written plot that flows smoothly. I had difficulty putting this book down because I had to know what happened on the next page.

This exceptionally well-edited book deserves nothing less than 4 out of 4 stars. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. I did not find any errors.

I recommend this book to mature readers over 18 years of age who enjoy crime thrillers. This book is not appropriate for young or sensitive readers because of the gory murders of children and non-borderline profanity.

Light at The End
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
shreyagupta
Currently Reading: And Then There Were None
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shreyagupta.html
Latest Review: Kiran by Ellen Steller

Post by shreyagupta »

The plot following the kidnaping of a 18 month old is very scary. Though I am intrigued as to how one can empathize with a murderer. I look forward to reading the book. Thanks for a well put together review.
Latest Review: Kiran by Ellen Steller
Nan_Syl
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nan-syl.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Post by Nan_Syl »

I feel this serial killer character might not have a hand in the kidnapping, but, who knows? I'm definitely reading this book to find out. Thanks for this review.
ChampagneSon
Currently Reading: Why Can't Johnny Just Quit?
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-champagneson.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White
2022 Reading Goal: 20
2022 Goal Completion: 35%

Post by ChampagneSon »

The book gets you hooked with the abduction of an infant, will she be found alive? I'm curious. Great review.
Amy Luman
Currently Reading: Before Dawn
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: The Decision by Michael D. Komeshak
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I really like thrillers, but not gore. This seems to be one of those books. I feel for Ruben even though I can’t understand exactly what he is going through. Thanks for the review!
lily_kh87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lily-kh87.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by lily_kh87 »

This sounds like an intersting book, but the plot seems too dark..reading about kidnapping and killing children makes me feel awful.
Raymond N
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raymond-n.html
Latest Review: Ripcord Recovery by T.T. Sawyer
2022 Reading Goal: 100
2022 Goal Completion: 54%

Post by Raymond N »

This should be interesting to read if you like dark crime thrillers. I'm still testing my limit, not sure I could handle it yet. Great review.
Asiaa Szn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asiaa-szn.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White
2022 Reading Goal: 10
2022 Goal Completion: 50%

Post by Asiaa Szn »

I got hooked on the abduction of the infant. Is this the work of the serial killer? I believe the killer and kidnapper are the same person. I'll read this book to be certain
Mbenma Esther 080
Currently Reading: My Enemy in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbenma-esther-080.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Mbenma Esther 080 »

Thumbs up for this book.
Bee_renda007
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bee-renda007.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer

Post by Bee_renda007 »

I'm already anticipating the read. I would love to find out more that happened in the story. Thanks for the review!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Legacy of Heorot
Bookshelf Size: 286
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Great and Incredible Germophiles by Tatiana Hillman
2022 Reading Goal: 57
2022 Goal Completion: 38%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an intriguing crime thriller in which the reader can sympathize with a murderer who seems to be targeting pedophiles. It's really a dark story, so I might need to find the right mood to read it. Regardless, thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”