Review of Friendship City

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Review of Friendship City

Post by Brenda Creech »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Friendship City" by Carl H. Mitchell.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Friendship City: Hanging by a Thread by Carl H. Mitchell is a crime novel set in 2058 about the destruction of a new city and a deadly virus that is ready to be released into the world. Friendship City results from two border towns, Brownsville, Texas, and Matamoros, Mexico, merging to form one self-governed city. A political utopia where everyone can live peacefully in a crime-free, racist-free environment. The first nine months had been rocky because the former evil World Council leader, Jason Beck, tried to destroy the city. When Beck died in a helicopter crash, everyone thought the World Council had lost its power. Now, the city is trying to write its bill of rights.

Lenora Allison, President of the United States, tries to save Friendship City, but Ishmael, the new leader of the World Council, has other ideas. Recently, several acts of violence have occurred in the city. President Allison calls on Detective Nick Garvey to help her save Friendship City and locate seven barrels of a deadly virus ready to be released into the world. At the same time, Nick's daughter is in a coma in Houston, recovering from a severe beating by her boyfriend. She was moved to Friendship City for safety. With no clues to go on, how would they ever find seven barrels and prevent the release of the virus? Their fate lay in the hands of a young boy and his science project that might enable them to locate the barrels.

The character development in this book is excellent. The characters are believable and relatable, and most of them are prime examples of what honest, caring individuals should be. Still, others are not as amicable—those who have shown up to tear down what the citizens of Friendship City have built. There are 94 chapters in this 288-page book, but they are brief chapters and keep the story moving swiftly from page to page. A fun aspect I enjoyed is the author includes an appendix with Friendship City's "Bill of Rights and Obligations." In the end, Mitchell leaves the reader with a cliff-hanger, leaving room for a sequel.

My favorite thing about the book is how President Lenora Allison got down in the trenches and worked beside the detectives and secret service agents she had assigned to stop the planned deadly virus attack that would spread rapidly worldwide. President Allison wasn't a timid president who hid behind the secret service's coat-tails. She didn't sit in the bunker under the White House in Washington, D.C. The president wanted in on the action. She believed in taking risks. And besides that, she was a Republican president with a Democrat vice-president.

I can't think of anything I disliked about this book. The book is well-written and professionally edited. I only found a couple of typos, so to me, that indicates professional editing. There is some strong profanity but no erotic content. The storyline is intriguing and suspenseful as the reader follows the president, detectives, and secret service in their attempt to prevent the spread of the deadly virus throughout the world. The book is worthy of a 4 out of 4 stars rating. I recommend this book to adult crime novel lovers with the bonus attraction of a futuristic theme. Those struggling emotionally or physically from the current pandemic should probably avoid reading this book.

Friendship City
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

Apocalypse. I'm intrigued by the storyline; I should be adding this to my shelves. Thank you for the review.
Amy Luman
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I am intrigued by unlikely heroes and the boy with the science project is that. In addition, the cooperation between Brownsville and Matadors is encouraging.
QualityAndQuantity
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-qualityandquantity.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Post by QualityAndQuantity »

I always like a futuristic book, doesn't matter it's about evolution or destruction. I think I'll add it to my shelf. Thanks for the review.
Raymonda onwuka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raymonda-onwuka.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Raymonda onwuka »

I love the story line and I am certain that good with triumph over evil as usual and Ishmael will be defeated. Thanks for the great review.
Avishi
Currently Reading: all body bags and no knickers
Bookshelf Size: 109
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avishi.html
Latest Review: The DrugTech Trilogy by Marcel Victor Sahade
Reading Device: Pdf

Post by Avishi »

The storyline is good, it definitely needs a sequel. I hope the deadly virus won't spread and they save the friendship city. Living in virus world is always scary like we are living with covid.
I personally liked the title of this book 'Friendship city'
Asiaa Szn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asiaa-szn.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Asiaa Szn »

This is a great story that needs to become a movie. Great review.
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

Raymond N wrote: 21 Jan 2022, 08:13 Apocalypse. I'm intrigued by the storyline; I should be adding this to my shelves. Thank you for the review.
It is a good book. Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

QualityAndQuantity wrote: 21 Jan 2022, 14:40 I always like a futuristic book, doesn't matter it's about evolution or destruction. I think I'll add it to my shelf. Thanks for the review.
I like futuristic books. They used to seem like they were way off in the distance but we seem to be catching up with dates that used to seem so far away! Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
B. Creech
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

Amy Luman wrote: 21 Jan 2022, 10:42 I am intrigued by unlikely heroes and the boy with the science project is that. In addition, the cooperation between Brownsville and Matadors is encouraging.
Yes, the part about the boy's science project being the answer to solving the scenario was my favorite part! Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
B. Creech
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

Raymonda Dazzy wrote: 21 Jan 2022, 22:33 I love the story line and I am certain that good with triumph over evil as usual and Ishmael will be defeated. Thanks for the great review.
Thanks! I loved the storyline too, it was very unique. Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
B. Creech
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

Avi Shi wrote: 23 Jan 2022, 00:31 The storyline is good, it definitely needs a sequel. I hope the deadly virus won't spread and they save the friendship city. Living in virus world is always scary like we are living with covid.
I personally liked the title of this book 'Friendship city'
It reminded me so much of what we have all been through for the past two years with Covid! Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
B. Creech
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

Asiaa Szn wrote: 23 Jan 2022, 12:29 This is a great story that needs to become a movie. Great review.
It would make a great sci-fi movie! Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
B. Creech
Adelle v
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adelle-v.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Adelle v »

Great review. I like the fact that the President isn't afraid to roll up her sleeves and join in the work. That's my type of president. the Apocalyptic feel gives this book a sense of fun and adventure.
NetMassimo
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This kind of story can be indeed hard to read for someone during the pandemic but it seems like an intriguing thriller with some science fiction elements. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”