Review of Murder on the Dunes

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Tim Toby
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tim-toby.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Review of Murder on the Dunes

Post by Tim Toby »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Murder on the Dunes" by Donald Steven Collins.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Murder on the Dunes by Donald Steven Collins is a crime thriller like no other. A book that depicts a fine story by a fine writer.

A serial killer had just murdered Elaine Lablanc—a student whom the murderer had met on Craigslist. After Elaine hadn't been seen for some days, her aunt hired the services of highly experienced, freelance detectives, Tom Newberry and Barry Noonan. Their investigations led them to several places, including Elaine's room. Meanwhile, in Fleming Beach, Long Island, a local police officer, Jeremy Demcheck, discovered dead bodies that had been dumped at the beach. This caught the attention of Jack Linkletter and Ben Millard, and they started investigating the case. Tom and Barry's investigations eventually led them to Fleming Beach, where they met Jeremy and Father Frank D'Angelo and considered them the primary suspects. As it turns out, the murderer was indeed someone right under their noses. Perhaps it's one of their suspects, or maybe it's not. Find that out in this captivating book.

Murder on the Dunes by Donald Steven Collins is a thrilling and fascinating book. This is a story filled with suspense. I had to suspend other important tasks to focus on the story. The story focuses on three separate incidences, and the way the author aligned the three incidences is just brilliant.

I love how the author used this book to reveal how damaging it could be to society if things were overly expensive. When a country's economy gets out of hand and people find it difficult to afford basic amenities, they resort to all forms of vices and criminal activities like burglary and prostitution. This can be observed in the cases of Elaine and other characters.

This book encourages humans to show love towards animals, as shown in the case of Tom and Cynthia with their pet dog, Maxine. Also, I was particularly fascinated with Jeremy. Jeremy had big dreams and intended to make his wife proud by being a detective and a top officer, but he couldn't achieve this. He started drinking, and this affected his thoughts, actions, and self-esteem.

One of the characters turns into a demon, figuratively, eventually becoming a nuisance to society. To prevent giving spoilers, I would be using the pronoun "they" to represent the character. They ended up killing innocent girls. The book revealed that this character had a rough childhood. They were taken to a child institute when they were young, and the bullying and maltreatment they experienced shaped them into a monster forever. This work aims to reveal what could eventually happen to a person if they were treated a particular way from a young age.

The book was one I loved and enjoyed reading. I only found two errors, which implies that book editors did a professional job with the editing. Therefore, I will give this book a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. I would recommend this book to lovers of crime thrillers. You should know that the sex scenes in the book were pretty intense and explicit. I think that is a fair warning that this book does have an age restriction. This is the only thing I think might affect a reader's enjoyment of the book. Although I did not find it particularly disturbing.

Murder on the Dunes
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

I love books about crime. I wonder who Elaine's murderer was. Guess I can only find out by reading. Thank you for the review.
Zelda Boshoff
Favorite Book: Strong Heart
Currently Reading: The Elf Legacy - Book Five of the Magi Charter
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zelda-boshoff.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Zelda Boshoff »

The review is excellent. I would love to read the book and find the culprit. Normally I won't be reading crime thrillers, however, this one is on the top of my list.
QualityAndQuantity
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-qualityandquantity.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Post by QualityAndQuantity »

A good crime thriller book is my to go for anytime. I think this book will be a good addition to my shelf. Thanks for the review.
Mfopat Olympik
Currently Reading: The Unlikely Cowboy
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zakariaou-junior.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Mfopat Olympik »

this book looks very interesting to me. I sometimes read crime thrillers, the suspense of investigations often makes me impatient, but I like it. I'm guessing that is the serial killer "they" who ended Elaine's life. I just have to read to find out, and maybe after reading I would like animals a little more like Tom and Cynthia. I will read this book, Murder on the Dunes. thank you for this review.
BlueSally
Favorite Author: H.P. Lovecraft
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
fav_author_id: 6063

Post by BlueSally »

Thank you for this review! I normally read more true crime than fictional, but this sounds like one that I'd really enjoy!
Vidhi Adhikari
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: True Teryn
Bookshelf Size: 280
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vidhi-adhikari.html
Latest Review: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless by Mitzi Perdue

Post by Vidhi Adhikari »

This sounds a good crime thriller and I'm definitely reading this one soon. Thanks for such a detailed review.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”