Review of How Could You

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Lucy Vera
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucy-v.html
Latest Review: Letter of Paul to the Americans by Nicholas F Mazza

Review of How Could You

Post by Lucy Vera »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "How Could You" by Wesley Harden.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

How Could You by Wesley Harden III brings to a reader what twisted crime fiction with suspense looks like. Indeed, one will agree that the book is filled with action from start to finish. It begins with a murder pointed at the son of one of New York's finest gynecologists, Daniel Schindler. Swiftly, the police go into action, and the trial commences for Daniel Schindler, the first and only son of the Jewish gynecologist. While he vehemently denies committing the crime, all pieces of evidence show otherwise. While everyone who sees him believes he is capable of such a heinous act, will there be a magical miracle that will turn all the fingers of accusations from his head to some other person's or event? Will he be found guilty by the Tomaqua jury based on the established evidence? Fast forward, and there is a need for a retrial. Can a different verdict be delivered based on the same facts, same story, same pieces of evidence with a different defense attorney? Will the jury of another clime find his case was not proved beyond all reasonable doubts, or will they allow the Jewish canon of "he who kills by the sword should die by the sword" prevail?

There are several positive aspects of How Could You. Wesley did a pretty job describing the dangerous aftermath of not experiencing love, especially from parents. He also shows mastery of the social engineering of law and the administration of justice, devoid of emotions. This book provides a deep insight into the workings of the justice system and the complexities involved in proving a crime beyond all reasonable doubts, as required by the law. It also teaches that a case is not won by the man with the truth but by the man with a believable and compelling story or theory. Also, I found the trial and retrial, together with the presentation of evidence, especially during cross-examinations of witnesses, not just fascinating but intriguing. I enjoyed reading about witnesses like Dr. Beryl DeSoto Mbumpe.

If there are negative aspects of How Could You, I would limit it to just two. First, most of the abbreviations used were not introduced in full before being used. Understandably, a reader ought to be vast and have wide knowledge on various areas. Still, most words in registers could be used in full before their abbreviations would subsequently be used, or the full words could be written in a bracket the first time the abbreviation is introduced in the book. Furthermore, the use of profanities, vulgar words and profanities was way too much. Again, it is understandable that the words used, especially in the speeches of the characters, indeed show the characters for who they are and make them more real. Nevertheless, the writer had used some profane words in the body of his work too.

I found a whole lot of errors in the book, ranging from grammatical structures to problems with punctuation and grammatical errors. This is evidence that it was not well edited. I rate the book 3 out of 4 stars because it was poorly edited. It contains many vulgar words and profanities; if you do not appreciate books with so many vulgar words, then this might not be the best fit for you.

I recommend this book to readers above sixteen years of age because of the reasons highlighted above and the endless use of vulgar words. I also believe that persons in the legal field and ordinary citizens interested in the criminal administration system will find the book enjoyable.

How Could You
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

Now, that's a lot of suspense. It's actually hard proving your innocence when every other thing says the exact opposite. I'll like to know how the story eventually unfolded. Thank you for the review.
Sharon Christanto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharon-christanto.html
Latest Review: The path from backpack to briefcase 2nd. idition by R. William Holland, PhD
Reading Device: B09N3YBXCN

Post by Sharon Christanto »

This is definitely an honest and insightful review. Despite the negative side, I appreciate the positive aspects of the novel. I'm really curious of books with judicial/law theme. I might give this novel a try.
Darlings O
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darlington-onuoha.html
Latest Review: Imperfect Lives Perfect Grace by Dr. E.M. Johnson

Post by Darlings O »

It would have helped to have he abbreviations explained by the author. Thank you for your amazing review, I enjoyed reading it. Seems like you enjoyed this book, well, except for the negative aspects.
Nwadinso Okoro
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwadinso-okoro.html
Latest Review: The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy (series) by Claire Youmans

Post by Nwadinso Okoro »

The book is quite intriguing. I love the plot and the storyline of the book. Daniel denied committing the murder, I would love to read the book to know if he was acquitted. Thanks for your review.
Amiczy Heaven
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amiczy-heaven.html
Latest Review: Living the Beatitudes by Gary L. Engstrom

Post by Amiczy Heaven »

Something tells me he’s innocent. Now I can only find out the truth of I read through all the suspense in the book. Insightful review.
Rav_sid
Favorite Book: Inner engineering
Currently Reading: The Freedom Building
Bookshelf Size: 18

Post by Rav_sid »

The characters are compelling and reviewer does a phenomenal job laying the story out. Thank you for review
José Cortez
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jos-cortez.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Golden Door (Audiobook Version) by Ali Master

Post by José Cortez »

Parental love and care is so important in a child's development and growth. Thank you, I enjoyed reading your review.
Walter R
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-walter-r.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Walter R »

A twisted fiction and a crime fiction all in one book. It seems like I have found me the perfect book.
Kennedy NC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kennedy-nc.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Kennedy NC »

Is Daniel really the culprit in the murder case? This is already looking fascinating. I cannot wait to read it.
Ekezie1998
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekezie1998.html
Latest Review: life lessons of wayne by shawn wayne swearingen

Post by Ekezie1998 »

Great review of a seemingly great book. I am intrigued by the story line and character development.
Tehreem_Khan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tehreem-khan.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Tehreem_Khan »

The book looks good. But I might stay away from it because of all those errors you pointed out.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an intriguing legal thriller showing hot the truth too often ends up in the shadows, obscured by well-constructed "stories". I agree that the use of acronyms and abbreviations can be annoying when it becomes heavy. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Mbenma Esther 080
Currently Reading: My Enemy in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbenma-esther-080.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Mbenma Esther 080 »

A friend of mine will definitely love this. Thanks for the review.
Blessing Odii
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-odii.html
Latest Review: The Proximity of Stars by Benedict Stuart

Post by Blessing Odii »

An interesting book. I enjoy reading action books.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”