Review of Sanctuary

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Brendan Donaghy
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Small Great Things
Bookshelf Size: 109
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brendan-donaghy.html
Latest Review: Sic 'Em Donald! by B. J. Melton

Review of Sanctuary

Post by Brendan Donaghy »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Sanctuary" by Paul W Ashlin.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In Sanctuary, by Paul Ashlin, the coach of the high-school football team in Big Springs, Texas has a lot on his mind. Tom Thompson and Kathy, his wife, have not been getting on since they moved to the small town from Ohio. She doesn’t like Big Springs, doesn’t like how the people there treat football like a religion. The final straw for Kathy comes when the team loses an important game. Tom and Kathy arrive home from the game to find a mob attacking their house. Shortly after this, Kathy packs her things and leaves town with the couple’s two kids.

Tom thinks his life has been turned upside down, but that’s just the start of his troubles. The real drama starts when he attends a coin-toss event to decide if his team can proceed to a play-off match. A cataclysmic event at the coin-toss triggers a ripple effect, and Tom finds himself at the center of a drama he can’t control and doesn’t fully understand. He meets a woman with whom he shares an inexplicable, electric attraction. Is she friend or foe? Caught up in a media storm, Tom tries to work out what is going on. Does he have special powers? Has he been given a mission? Above all, who can he trust, and where can he find sanctuary?

This is an enjoyable novel that is driven by its fast action and snappy, authentic dialogue. The author doesn’t intrude with lengthy descriptive passages or information dumps. Instead, he allows the words and deeds of his characters to carry the reader along. This makes for a pacey story that twists and turns from start to finish. I also liked how the author handles the subplots, shifting seamlessly from one to another in a way that keeps the reader’s attention from waning. The paranormal element of the narrative is also handled with skill. It’s certainly a feature of the story, but it is hinted at rather than made explicit. There is much more of it to be explored and developed in subsequent books. I’m assuming that there will be other books to follow, as the author finishes this one with the words ‘To be continued…’. Hopefully, this is the first of a series.

I found the minor errors in the book frustrating, even if they didn’t spoil my overall enjoyment of the story. It’s a common occurrence in books published by independent authors, both fiction and non-fiction, that a work of some merit is marred by small mistakes that could have been weeded out with proper, professional editing.

I am awarding this book three out of four stars. I am deducting one star on account of the errors mentioned above. The book may have been professionally edited, but another round of proofreading would have added a shine to it. I recommend it to people who enjoy fast-paced thrillers laced with a hint of the supernatural. The book is for adults; there is strong language from the beginning, along with some mild eroticism. In summary, this is a good read, and I look forward to the next in the series.

Sanctuary
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ghuddie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ghuddie.html
Latest Review: Dogs of Warr by TR Gabriel

Post by Ghuddie »

Tom's story is quite intriguing. It'll be interesting to know how his relationship with the new woman turns out. Great review.
Nwadinso Okoro
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwadinso-okoro.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Nwadinso Okoro »

It is quite hard to find trust in a chaotic space. Tom's issue is quite delicate and he doesn't have his wife or anyone to encourage. I would love to read the book to know how the story ended. Thanks for your review.
Emeka Nwankwoala
Currently Reading: Life
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Emeka Nwankwoala »

I learnt that people treated other people well who belong to their religion. That made the team to loss match because among them brought discouragement to out siders. A team does not stands on tribalism. Thanks
Adaeze Joan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adaeze-joan.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is Not What You Think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Adaeze Joan »

When I first saw the book title, my first guess was that it was a self help book, but after reading your well written review,I have been convinced otherwise. What is really Tom's mission? Is that why he was given superpowers? Well, I would just have to read the book to find out.
Raymond N
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raymond-n.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi
2022 Reading Goal: 100
2022 Goal Completion: 13%

Post by Raymond N »

Tom definitely has it coming for him. Great review.
Apple 7
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-apple-7.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Apple 7 »

Finding a form of solace during trying times especially in relationships cannot be predicted.....a very nice review
Ariella dazzle
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ariella-dazzle.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Ariella dazzle »

Families are supposed to support us in times of crisis, but I guess Tom's wife doesn't think that way. I love your review
Wasila A
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
2022 Reading Goal: 35
2022 Goal Completion: 2%

Post by Wasila A »

I'm not very much thrilled with fiction books but your explicit review makes me want to read the book. I will definitely read it sometime.
Asiaa Szn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asiaa-szn.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer
2022 Reading Goal: 10
2022 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Asiaa Szn »

Tom's wife didn't do a good job of playing the role of a wife which is to support the husband. This is a good review though
Nomcebo_0619
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nomcebo-0619.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Nomcebo_0619 »

Some partners aren't in this marriage thing genuinely. Tom's wife is the proof of that, excellent review by the way.
Marzifor
Currently Reading: The Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Fallacy
Bookshelf Size: 666
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marzifor.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas
2022 Reading Goal: 35
2022 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Marzifor »

I hope Tom has special powers.I am looking forward to reading this book.
Regard003
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-regard003.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Regard003 »

The wife didn't even wait to if things could get better. Id like to see how Tom handled the mess. A very captivating review
Reynaldo Albano
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Reynaldo Albano »

Tom, Kathy and Thier two kids shared events of transfering from Ohio to Thier new domicile they cannot accept.
Charlize Venter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlize-venter.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith
2022 Reading Goal: 36
2022 Goal Completion: 19%

Post by Charlize Venter »

A thorough and authentic review. It seems a fast-pace story. I enjoy the idea that there aren't 'factual dumps', but rather an incorporation of facts that seem to seep into the story as opposed to being thrown on the reader.
I was worried that his wife leaving would spoil the story, but I enjoyed how you picked up the pace of the review with the intrigue and mystery that is to follow; I almost forgot about his domestic troubles!

Well written, and I look forward to reading the book some day.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”