Official Review: The Memory Box by Eva Lesko Natiello

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
allesha
Favorite Author: Scott Westerfeld
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allesha.html
Latest Review: "Buenos Dias Lucy London" by Iza MacLeod
fav_author_id: 3521

Official Review: The Memory Box by Eva Lesko Natiello

Post by allesha »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Memory Box" by Eva Lesko Natiello.]
Book Cover for 2123
Share This Review

The Memory Box, written by Eva Lesko Natiello, is a psychological thriller. It is written in first-person, with the main character being Caroline. Caroline lives with her husband and two daughters in a suburban neighborhood. They seem like your average family, with Caroline's biggest problem being the other gossipy mom's she sees at her children's school. When Caroline wonders what she might find online about herself, she uncovers more than she ever wanted to know.

There are only so many plots and endings that can make up a thriller. I thought this book had a refreshing story-line and an unpredictable ending. While searching for herself online, Caroline realizes that she cannot remember much of what has happened in the last six years as her memories have disappeared. She struggles to get a grip on her present as she learns about her past. The story became very intriguing as Caroline learned more and more about what has been going on for the past six years.

In the beginning of Natiello's novel, I wasn't very engaged. Things started out slowly as the solid plot was being built. Once the story began to pick up, I was much more interested. Although there were a few other slow parts in the book that didn't seem necessary, they didn't slow me down. I kept reading, finishing the book rather fast in order to find out what would happen next. Throughout the book, there were times I had to take a brief break, letting my brain wrap around what I had just read. Then I picked the book right back up, eager to find out what secrets Caroline would uncover and what she would do about them.

I think the main character, Caroline, was very well developed. She did many things that I would not have guessed, causing me to laugh out loud a few times. While I did suspect one of the major secrets that was trapped in Caroline's past, there were so many that shocked and surprised me! Also, the ending seemed very realistic, which is important to me as a reader.

I would give this book 4 out of 4 stars. It kept me engaged and I felt connected to the main character. It left me feeling stunned many times. I would recommend reading this book, whether you love suspense and thrillers or even if they're not really your thing. You won't be disappointed with The Memory Box!

Buy "The Memory Box" on Amazon
Jweaver05
Currently Reading: The Memory Box
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jweaver05 »

I just finished reading 'The Memory Box', and there were so many twists and turns in the book and it definitely kept me guessing. The book kept my attention from the beginning with the great mystery of why the main character, Caroline, could not remember her past. I gave the book 3 out of 4 stars. I don't want to give away part of the book to those who want to read, but there were many questions that I had and they went unanswered. The book kept me intrigued because you never really knew what Caroline was going to do next. There were parts in the book where I was thinking to myself, "Don't do it Caroline" or "Are you sure you really want to know"? The ending of the book was definitely a teaser and it definitely left me thinking. I would recommend that people read this book. If surprise endings are your thing, I encourage you to give this book a try!
allesha
Favorite Author: Scott Westerfeld
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allesha.html
fav_author_id: 3521

Post by allesha »

I'm so glad to hear that you enjoyed the book too! Haha yes, I remember having those thoughts as well and I very much agree that if surprise endings are you're thing, you will really like The Memory Box.
PatAM
Currently Reading: Treasure Me
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patam.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by PatAM »

I really liked this book. I wasn't too sure I would when I started it but it does grab you after several chapters. The main character seemed like she was on speed or manic. I laughed out loud many times reading it. The monkey bruise on her cheek was hysterical.

I honestly did not see the ending coming with this one. I was in complete shock. When I found out the truth of the situation and then read her husband's reaction I wanted to slap him for being so stupid.

I think this is one of those books you either love or hate because of the writing style.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”