Review of Pilate's Faith

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Pilate's Faith by J. Alexander Greenwood

Review of Pilate's Faith

Post by mmm17 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Pilate's Faith" by J. Alexander Greenwood.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Pilate’s Faith is a mystery novel written by J. Alexander Greenwood; it is the eighth book of the John Pilate Mysteries. In this thriller, John Pilate travels to Cross, Nebraska, to be with his wife Kate (and kids) and try and mend his broken marriage. Once there, he learns that crimes are happening again in the city. The sheriff, Jeremy Ryder, asks Pilate to help him get to the bottom of things, and a well-woven mystery unfolds.

I found several positive aspects to this entertaining read. Above all, it was a gripping and fun story that kept me hooked. Greenwood’s writing style is dynamic, and the book reads like a movie script. As the story begins, for instance, readers encounter the protagonist being held prisoner in a steel shipping container at a self-storage place in Key West. He had been drugged and kidnapped by a mysterious man nicknamed Mister Nice-Nice. But I cannot give away spoilers here!

The book’s strongest suit was Pilate’s lawed personality; I felt it was a focal point around which the plot unfolded. This aspect was what I liked the most. Pilate is a markedly neurotic character, albeit a likable one. He has anxiety attacks and hears an imaginary voice called Simon. His therapist, Sandberg, helps him cope.

Additionally, I was glad to see that one can enjoy the book without any knowledge of the previous installments of the series. I appreciated how the author used interludes and flashbacks to give readers a glimpse into Pilate’s troublesome past. It made me curious about the other books, although this one stands well on its own.

I also thought that Pilate and Kate’s issues were an interesting side plot. Readers learn that her first husband, the father of Pilate’s stepdaughter Kara, is dead. Also, Kate would very much enjoy raising her kids in her beloved Cross, but Pilate disagrees. On the other hand, Grant is a local professor on track to be dean, and his stability attracts Kate. I appreciated this backstory and its development.

In closing, I’m glad to give this enjoyable book the highest rating; I rate it 4 out of 4 stars. I found no negative aspect worth mentioning. Also, it seemed professionally edited, for I found no errors in it. I recommend it to those who enjoy mysteries and charismatic protagonists. Prospective readers should know that there’s a fair share of violence and strong language throughout the book. Therefore, I don’t believe it would be appropriate for a younger audience.

Pilate's Faith
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Venus2304
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-venus2304.html
Latest Review: The Pro-Achievement Principle by Dr. Deborah Bright

Post by Venus2304 »

I feel like John Pilate wouldn't have had as much trouble as he's had in the book if he could just look away a bit but I guess that's what personal responsibleness takes away from you.
Raymond N
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raymond-n.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi
2022 Reading Goal: 100
2022 Goal Completion: 14%

Post by Raymond N »

Lovers of crime and mystery would enjoy this. Thank you for the review.
Amenrodion
Currently Reading: Laughing All the Way to the Bank
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amenrodion.html
Latest Review: Barbra Streisand: On the Couch by Alma H. Bond, Ph.D.

Post by Amenrodion »

Do not enjoy mysteries but great review nonetheless
Fareed Regal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fareed-regal.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel
2022 Reading Goal: 24
2022 Goal Completion: 4%

Post by Fareed Regal »

I like this genre and the book seems to have two distinct plots that both need to unravel. That is enough to attract most mystery lovers. Thanks for a great review!
Nwadinso Okoro
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwadinso-okoro.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Nwadinso Okoro »

This book delves into the life of a man who is trying to get back to his family. John Pilate is an intriguing character and I love the way the author explores him. The author's writing style is quite dynamic, and I would love to read the book. Thanks for your review.
Esther Schneider
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
2022 Reading Goal: 50
2022 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Esther Schneider »

I do love mysteries and this book seems to be one that I would enjoy reading. It reminds me of the TV show Monk, Which I enjoy watching.
It was a very good review.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”