Review of Humacabra

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Saint Bruno
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: Two Minds, Three Talks, One Life by Dalton Kehoe
fav_author_id: 2484
2022 Reading Goal: 100
2022 Goal Completion: 1%

Review of Humacabra

Post by Saint Bruno »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Humacabra" by Dianna Alvey.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Watering Hole, a small, nondescript town in America, is home to a top-secret research center heavily guarded by the army. However, you wouldn't know that, as the facility looks like a general store, gas station, and a tiny community of simple houses. Everything seemed to be going as planned until an earthquake hit the facility. And it happened just as the scientists were about to test the neuron-gas they developed.

Newly appointed as the head of the facility's security is Capt. Martin Phillips. He and other soldiers try to rescue the people trapped in the rubble. Will they succeed? Down the ruins, terror is brewing, and it is something the army has never seen. Can anyone survive what's coming? Read Humacabra: The Curse of Watering Hole by Dianna Alvey to find out.

Even though I expected some nerve-wracking narrations in this book, considering its title, I must say that I wasn't ready for the twists in it. The author's use of the third-person point of view made the narrations even more exciting because I knew things that the characters were oblivious to but couldn't warn them of imminent danger. But the turn of the story from a tale about some covert research into something entirely different is my favorite aspect of the novel. I especially loved how I couldn't predict the events after the earthquake.

Furthermore, I appreciate the author's graphic descriptions. She described the surroundings and characters so well that it was easy for me to visualize her narrations. I also loved the believable dialogues throughout the book and enjoyed the author's use of terms in military communications like 'Roger that,' 'We are at your six,' and 'Over and out.'

While I loved the author's suspenseful writing style, I didn't enjoy how she, sometimes, gave clues to what was about to happen next. For example, sentences like 'Little did they know that this would be their last feast' diluted the element of surprise in some parts of the narrations. Nevertheless, I know some readers appreciate such; hence, I would hold no grudge.

In conclusion, I am rating this book four out of four stars because the issue I noted above is negligible, in my opinion. The characters are unique, and I like that there were backstories for a few. I had a good time reading the book, even though I'd prefer a more conclusive end to the story. The editing also seems professionally done regardless of some errors in the book. So I believe it deserves the rating it got. I highly recommend this novel to lovers of horror stories, especially those who don't mind reading about gruesome killings in books.

Humacabra
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
persephone marie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-persephone-marie.html
Latest Review: Dying Well by Susan Ducharme Hoben

Post by persephone marie »

You’ve just described a book that matches my taste wonderfully. Secret government conspiracies gone completely wrong? Yes please. I am going to seriously pick this one up. I love reviews like this one! This is a clear visualization of what I can expect from the novel.
Joy Lucky
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Joy Lucky »

Secret conspiracy? Yeah my kind of book, I love Reviews like this but don't know what to expect
Suekihleng
Currently Reading: Just Give Me a Soft Place to Land
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suekihleng.html
Latest Review: The Treasure of Peril Island by C.W. James
2022 Reading Goal: 48
2022 Goal Completion: 4%

Post by Suekihleng »

Sounds like an interesting book. I love suspenseful books with unexpected plot twists. I'll be adding this to my reading list. Thanks for the great review!
Babar Ali Ali
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
2022 Reading Goal: 20
2022 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Babar Ali Ali »

You’ve just described a book that matches my taste wonderfully. Secret government conspiracies gone completely wrong? Yes please. I am going to seriously pick this one up. I love reviews like this one! This is a clear visualization of what I can expect from the novel
Raymond N
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raymond-n.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi
2022 Reading Goal: 100
2022 Goal Completion: 13%

Post by Raymond N »

This review just makes me want to read this book already. I'm curious to know how they maneuvered this curse, that is, if they did.

Thanks for the great review.
Sou Hi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: A Gift from the Wise Men by Vince Young

Post by Sou Hi »

Thanks for your interesting review. I wonder what Martin and his men will find in the facility's remains.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: Cell Biology For Babies by Dr. Haitham Ahmed

Post by Ellylion »

The title is intriguing enough to grab this book :) Thanks for your great review!
Nwadinso Okoro
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwadinso-okoro.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Nwadinso Okoro »

I love the book cover design. It paints an eery picture in my mindand I am definitely sure that the book would be engaging. I would love to know if Phillips succeeded at the end. Thanks for your review.
Ghuddie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ghuddie.html
Latest Review: Dogs of Warr by TR Gabriel

Post by Ghuddie »

I'm not sure this will interest me because I don't really like horror stories. However, fans of horror stories will most definitely have a good time reading it. Great review.
Chinenye Achilike
Currently Reading: TBD August 2022 Book of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Chinenye Achilike »

Horror tales are not my favorite at all, so I don't think I'll be reading this.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Emergence
Bookshelf Size: 269
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Family Business by James Jack Fauser
2022 Reading Goal: 57
2022 Goal Completion: 10%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an intense and engaging novel and I don't mind gruesome, as I read a lot of horror stories in my life. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Avi Shi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avi-shi.html
Latest Review: That Guy What Kill Topsy by Peter Wood Cotterill
Reading Device: Pdf

Post by Avi Shi »

Your review portrays the essence of this book very well. The amount of twists the author made here really makes me want to read this book.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”