Review of Lone Wolf Minutemen

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LinaMueller
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 216
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: Tall Tales Told By A Short Man by Michael Hunt

Review of Lone Wolf Minutemen

Post by LinaMueller »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Lone Wolf Minutemen" by Gerald James McManus.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Lone Wolf Minutemen by Gerald James McManus is categorized as C/T/M/H, but the truth is that this is a peculiar work of fiction. As distinct as it may seem, the plot could happen anytime in the US. Walter Hunt is a billionaire in his late 80s who discovers he has only a few months to live. He no longer cares about appearances, and without time to enjoy life, he decides to make his extremist ideas come to reality.

As a far-right radical, the billionaire is completely unhappy with the direction of his country. He doesn't like the fact that the population of white Americans is dwindling, he doesn't like the media in control of leftwingers, and he enjoys the Marxist dominance in American universities even less. Walter decides to fund assassination squads full of veterans and highly trained people with virtually unlimited resources to eliminate liberal politicians, artists, and intellectual leaders.

Despite being extreme in the most diverse aspects, this work has many commendable qualities. The first point to mention is that the author has created such a realistic environment that it feels like he is describing something he experienced. As if he had been one of those hired assassins, he managed to accomplish his mission and flew off to tell the story. I also liked some psychological analyzes that are universal. It's amazing how one of the protagonists repeatedly commits brutal and inhumane acts without the slightest sign of remorse. However, as soon as he finds himself in better financial condition and with the prospect of having a good wife, the war that seemed so sacred to him begins to lose importance, and the animal instinct of self-preservation begins to dominate his life.

One of the most controversial aspects of the book is that it has a lot of hate speech, stereotypes, and offensive phrases. Phrases like "one of the few good things about gays is that they don't reproduce." This is hardly a flaw in itself, but I'm sure many readers will be disgusted and find the book unbearable to read. There is no doubt that I find this kind of dialogue disgusting. Still, in a book where the author describes the actions of people who are willing to kill other human beings because they think and act differently, you can't expect the dialogue between characters to be polite and respectful.

After much reflection, I decided that Lone Wolf Minutemen deserves four out of four stars. This is a faultlessly executed book and exceptionally well written. I found only five grammatical errors, and the author created an incredibly realistic hateful universe. Something only a gifted writer could do. As good as the book is, it's tough to recommend it to any audience. Perhaps the book is recommended for human psychology scholars who want to understand better how psychopaths like Anders Breivik think. However, most progressive readers will find the book obnoxious (even if one understands that the dialogues and actions are a work of fiction). Perhaps some freedom of speech advocates like Glenn Greenwald can see some artistic value in this work.

Lone Wolf Minutemen
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson
Pencrafter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pencrafter.html
Latest Review: Wrath of Justice by Denna Holm

Post by Pencrafter »

It's quite difficult to live one's life after discovering they have few days to live. I hope he didn't achieve his far right objectives.
Nwadinso Okoro
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwadinso-okoro.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Nwadinso Okoro »

Although I might not flow entirely with this book, I'm sure it'd be a great for my friend. This book is quite realistic as it delves into the life of an extremist billionaire and the actions he made. Thanks for your review.
beauri21
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beauri21.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by beauri21 »

This book isn't in my league. I'll have to pass. Thanks for the nicely written honest review.
Venus2304
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-venus2304.html
Latest Review: The Pro-Achievement Principle by Dr. Deborah Bright

Post by Venus2304 »

This book is something I would definitely recommend to lovers of sadist billionaire lifestyle books. It says it all
Nice review.
Chinenye Achilike
Currently Reading: TBD August 2022 Book of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Chinenye Achilike »

How terrible it must feel to discover one has only few months to live! Thanks for the review.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Emergence
Bookshelf Size: 269
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Family Business by James Jack Fauser
2022 Reading Goal: 57
2022 Goal Completion: 10%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an interesting novel if you want to dig into the mind of someone with fascist tendencies. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”