Review of The House Always Wins

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Peace Odii
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peace-odii.html
Latest Review: Justin's Quest by Winsome Board

Review of The House Always Wins

Post by Peace Odii »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The House Always Wins" by Brian Rouff.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

At a place called Royal, Rob Lazarus, heart-throb leader of the band, ignored Anna Christiansen from interviewing him. Aaron Eisenberg took it upon himself to cheer up Anna. When Anna left for Las Vegas with Aaron, where they got married, they bought an old house after living in Aaron's place. Within a few months, a letter came to Anna and the street occupants to vacate. The content of this letter prompted Anna to call for a meeting among the neighborhood to secure the apartments. Within this period, she encountered a specific ghost in the house who seemed interested in Anna's strive to secure the apartments in the street. The ghost seemed to know more about this apartment that only readers of this book would find out.

The House Always Wins by Brian Rouff is an intriguing story. My favorite part was where Anna met Meyer for the first time. No doubt, this part sent shivers down my spine. Seeing a strange man sitting in a new house you just moved into couldn't be more like a joke. I was thrilled by this part of the book because it created more tension and suspense. I got curious to find out what this whole drama was all about.

I commend the author for spicing this book with romance. The love that exists between Aaron and Anna is highly fascinating. I admire their sincere hearts towards assisting each other. The two main characters, Aaron and Anna, kept the plot of this book going. They kept expressing their commitment to each other. Such an act is scarcely found among young couples—their enthusiasm for moving on even when they clicked within a few days of the meeting. I was carried away by their commitment to each other.

I would deduct one star from the rating. The book wasn't arranged in a sequential format. Each chapter would have started with a new page. I don't find this pleasing. Also, I noticed that Chapter 46 is just a few words. This chapter communicated no thought or message. I didn't find this chapter significant in the development of the plot. Another feature I noticed in this book that I didn't appreciate was that it seemed to have no theme structure. In other words, the end of the book did not satisfy my curiosity.

Apart from this, I find nothing displeasing about this book. Due to these factors, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I recommend this book to lovers of ghost stories with romance. The book was still professionally edited.

The House Always Wins
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Hussein21
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hussein21.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by Hussein21 »

This sounds like an exciting novel. Thanks for the review
Nomcebo_0619
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nomcebo-0619.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Nomcebo_0619 »

I'll take a rain check on this one, it's seems too all over the place for me. Thanks for a wonderful review.
José Cortez
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jos-cortez.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Golden Door (Audiobook Version) by Ali Master

Post by José Cortez »

Every book should have a well defined theme. The author could work on this part of the book.
Vivian Stones
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Maestro Monologue
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-stones.html
Latest Review: The Silicon Divide by Danielle Nowell

Post by Vivian Stones »

Great review , very detailed. I would love to read this book.
Darlings O
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darlington-onuoha.html
Latest Review: Imperfect Lives Perfect Grace by Dr. E.M. Johnson

Post by Darlings O »

What is it that the ghost knows about the apartment? I guess I would have to find out by reading this book. This is an amazing book.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

Romance is not my thing but this novel uses a classic trope of ghost stories to build what seems like an engaging story. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Nwadinso Okoro
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwadinso-okoro.html
Latest Review: The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy (series) by Claire Youmans

Post by Nwadinso Okoro »

This book seems to be quite interesting. The characterization of the story seems amazing. The ghost that speaks to Anne is a big mystery, and I would love to read the book so as to know how the strife ended. Good review.
Roca-+420
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Roca-+420 »

I love books filled with horror there's always tension in the air ,I can't wait to read it,nice review.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”