Review of Sorgina

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Unique Ego
Favorite Book: The Tales of Little Lady M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unique-ego.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Review of Sorgina

Post by Unique Ego »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Sorgina" by Thomas Becker.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

While building a freeway intersection into Pittsburgh, construction workers uncover a forgotten cemetery and a body housed in a separate crypt. This discovery is kept secret and temporarily delays the construction schedule. They would eventually complete the construction of the interstate, but this would only prove to be the beginning of a slew of mishaps.

Tina Tupaz, a professional nurse, takes a detour through Pittsburgh one foggy night when she happens upon an accident scene. She tries to save the lone survivor of a family of four, William Hughes. The entire experience is unsettling and eerie for Tina, so she is glad when an EMS team arrives on the scene. Still, she can’t get past the eerie feeling from that night, so she breaks protocol to gather information on Mr. Hughes. She is caught and suspended from her job, but fate has other plans.

During Detective Decker's investigation into the Hughes accident, the perpetrators are found, but the prosecution is averted. Unfortunately, they are murdered similarly to the Hughes family. This brings a lot of attention to Mr. Hughes and Tina. After the Hughes accident, a series of other accidents and murders occur, and it is discovered that the victims are in one way or the other related to Mr. Hughes. This revelation causes the investigation to take a new turn. This book has everything from the Mafia, witches, and fortune tellers to detectives, lawyers, and medical practitioners—it promises to be an exciting read full of intrigue.

Written in simple language by Tom Becker, Sorgina is a tale about numerous homicides committed in Pittsburgh. I was excited to read about the peculiarities of these murders and the efforts of the city’s police department to find and apprehend the culprits. I love investigative stories and reading about the process of uncovering the finer details of a murder case, so this tale was right up my alley. The fact that there was also a supernatural and otherworldly angle to this story and the investigations made it more intriguing.

The detectives and the broader police department did their jobs well while investigating William's accident and the subsequent murder cases. It was refreshing to read a book where the police were portrayed positively. The character development was also top-notch. Each major character had something unique about them—Detective Frisbee with his accent, Detective Carlisle with her goofy character, Tina with her warm heart, and Detective Decker with his ego were just some of the behavioral quirks I noticed. Despite the uniqueness of these characters, Monica Chang was the most intriguing one for me—it seemed to me like her weirdness knew no end.

My favorite thing about this story was how the plot seemed to undulate in intrigue and tempo. There were multiple points where it seemed like the cases were about to be solved only for new evidence and discoveries to alter the direction of the investigation or cause a setback. At no point did I guess with certainty who the perpetrator of these crimes was until the author revealed it. I feel this story should have a sequel.

I couldn't find anything worth disliking about the book. Its editing was flawless—I didn't find a single grammatical error—and the author expertly maintained the intrigue and excitement in the plot. Consequently, I rate this book a well-deserved 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to individuals interested in unpredictable investigative stories.

Sorgina
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Alexander C Schmoock
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexander-c-schmoock.html
Latest Review: Survived, evolved against all the odds by Ruth Mantile

Post by Alexander C Schmoock »

I'd love to read about the mishaps that came at the heels of the completion of the construction of the interstate. Great review.
Taana Ueh
Currently Reading: Rise of the Savior
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taana-ueh.html
Latest Review: No Dark Clouds by R W Nelson

Post by Taana Ueh »

This sounds thrilling and mysterious. Seems like it has lots of suspense. I'm also eager to know who the perpetrator of the crimes was. I may be reading this soon.

Thanks for the review.
Mercy119
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fireside119.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Mercy119 »

This book is right up my early. I like that the seemingly random crimes are interconnected. That will give readers much to brainstorm. I'm also relieved that the detectives are painted in a good light.
José Cortez
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jos-cortez.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Golden Door (Audiobook Version) by Ali Master

Post by José Cortez »

Seems like you really enjoyed this book. This seems like an amazing read. Would love to read it.
Hussein21
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hussein21.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by Hussein21 »

I love any novel that deals with crime and mystery, especially homicide and this sound like my type of book!
Susan Kihleng
Currently Reading: Just Give Me a Soft Place to Land
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susan-kihleng.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth's Garden by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Susan Kihleng »

This sounds like a fantastic crime thriller. I love books with multiple plot twists and it appears this novel has just that. Thank you for the informative review. Definitely adding this one to my reading list.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an engaging thriller centered around various murders with twists and interesting characters. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Nwadinso Okoro
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwadinso-okoro.html
Latest Review: The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy (series) by Claire Youmans

Post by Nwadinso Okoro »

This book has a simple cover design that has the representation of a pathway. The book is filled with suspense. The book revolves around Tina and the Hughes family. I think this book would be a good read for me. Thanks for your review.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”