Review of Clifford's War

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Theresa Moffitt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 297
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theresa-moffitt.html
Latest Review: McCurdy Investigations by Melvin Deforest
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 45%

Review of Clifford's War

Post by Theresa Moffitt »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Clifford's War" by J. Denison Reed.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Clifford’s War by J. Denison Reed is a fast-paced thriller. Clifford Dee is a military veteran and former prisoner of war. He has a successful private investigation business that utilizes the skills he developed in the military as an Army Ranger. When he begins work for a mob boss named Bandoni, he is forced to add hitman to his list of services. Bandoni does not take no for an answer. The story begins with Dee finding himself tied up and beaten in an abandoned church with no idea how he got there. He needs to find a way out and complete his assignment for Bandoni or face the consequences.

As Dee engages in investigations and tries to complete his assignments, readers learn more about his life and the contacts he uses in his business. He has close friends he can trust in the police force and the apartment building where he lives. However, when you are dealing with the mob, you never know who you can really trust. There are also conflicts within the organization that create problems for Dee. Liam Stacey is another hitman working for Bandoni. He sees Dee as a threat to his status within the organization when Bandoni begins to favor Dee with assignments.

This is a suspenseful and engaging novel that is difficult to put own. The story has some unexpected twists that kept me guessing until the end. The characters were the best part of the book. They were well-developed and interesting. Each character had a backstory that added to the plot. As Dee was investigating leads, he was able to bring in friends to assist him. They knew he was a private investigator and were happy to help. Gradually, this group of diverse characters became a team that worked well together. The author’s ability to create this diverse group and bring them together in this manner is impressive. Each character brought a unique perspective to the group.

There was nothing I disliked about this book. There were some errors in the book; however, they did not distract me from enjoying the story. The plot was interesting and suspenseful. Dee is a sympathetic character. He discusses his military background and experience as a prisoner of war. Although the details provided are gruesome at times, they seem to be realistic experiences for a military veteran who spent time as a prisoner of war. Also, these descriptions explain Dee’s background and perspective when he is engaged in his investigations and working for the mob.

I recommend this book to readers who enjoy suspenseful novels that keep you guessing until the end. It would also appeal to readers who enjoy fictional stories about organized crime. It includes profanity and some of the scenes are set in a strip club. So, I would not recommend the book to readers who would find that offensive. The story and the well-developed characters are deserving of a perfect score. However, there were more than ten errors in this book that prevent me from giving it a perfect score. For this reason, I give Clifford’s War 3 out of 4 stars.

Clifford's War
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Lucy Vera
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucy-v.html
Latest Review: Letter of Paul to the Americans by Nicholas F Mazza

Post by Lucy Vera »

A book I am certainly getting. Suspense is something that entices me in a book and this book seems to have a lot of it. Thanks for the review.
Shivansh_Reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shivansh-reviews.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Shivansh_Reviews »

I always enjoy stories which are fast paced and have thrill to them, and this one fills up all my requirements. I'm curious to know how everything turns out for Dee and his plan. Thanks for the insightful review.
Luchris_klaus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luchris-klaus.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Luchris_klaus »

From the review, the character development is awesome and I would love to read the book. Clifford's status is seen as threat by his fellow men. Good review.
Immaculate06
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-immaculate06.html
Latest Review: ByTheWay by Dennis Santos

Post by Immaculate06 »

From the review, Clifford's status is seen as a threat by his fellow colleagues. The author did a good job in the character development of the book. Good review.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Victorious
Bookshelf Size: 447
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 68%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an intriguing thriller with terrific character development, so I hope the author does another round of proofreading to make it excellent. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Nwadinso Okoro
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwadinso-okoro.html
Latest Review: The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy (series) by Claire Youmans

Post by Nwadinso Okoro »

Dee's gotten himself into a different kind of trouble. This book is quite intriguing, and I would love to know if Dee accomplished what Bandoni sent him. Good plot and storyline. Thanks for your review.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”