Review of 422:

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Maddie Atkinson
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Julia Chapman
Favorite Book: gender euphoria
Currently Reading: A Date with Justice
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maddie-atkinson.html
Latest Review: A King Amongst Us by A.D. Lewis
fav_author_id: 84942

Review of 422:

Post by Maddie Atkinson »

[Following is a volunteer review of "422:" by Danny Range.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Bruno is a recovering addict with severe mental health problems, such as bipolar disorder, depression, and anxiety. The book, written as if it were a journal, follows his life as he joins an accounting firm to try and make something of his life and cut ties with his mafia family. It draws you into the deteriorating mind of a mentally ill person and his battle against suicide and those who do not understand him.

422: is probably one of my new favourite books. It reminded me of American Psycho by Brett Easton Ellis, but much less of the actual psycho! The thing I loved about this is the fact it is written in the first person which gives the reader an insight into what it is like to be in the head of a severely mentally ill person. For example, hallucinating voices and hearing them tell you to hurt yourself. The author himself, Danny Range, is writing from personal struggles and experiences, giving the book a much more realistic feel. I also liked that the beginning of the book gives a phone number to an American suicide prevention hotline for those who are struggling (if anyone reading this needs the number, it is 1-800-273-8255). I found the mental health side of the story very familiar which made me relate to what Bruno was feeling, especially since the colloquial style of journal writing made it feel like he was directly telling you what he was talking about. I just think that it was written very well.

I can honestly say that I do not have any negative points about this book. However, I will say that it comes with a massive trigger warning to those who want to read it but have struggled with suicide and mental health in the past. I know that there were parts that were hard for me to read, so I am sure others will feel the same. This is not a negative point per se but it is something to keep in mind!

I found only one mistake and it was barely noteworthy, so it was clearly professionally and very well edited. Therefore, I am happy to say that I rate this book four out of four stars. If I could rate it higher, I would!

I would highly recommend this book to anyone who enjoys psychological thrillers, and also those who want to understand what it is like for those who struggle with their mental health. As previously stated, I would caution those who might be triggered by the themes, but I still recommend it if they think they can manage. I would also say that those who are not a fan of graphic violence or highly sexual content may prefer to give this a miss, but the recommendation still stands. This book is incredible and I commend Danny Range on his fantastic creation!

422:
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"I decided a while ago not to deny myself the simpler pleasures of existence" - Augustus Waters (The Fault in Our Stars)

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”