Review of The Adventures of sweet Pickles mcgillicuddy The mystery of the disappearing ruby ear ring

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Josephe-Anne
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading: Australia's Birds
Bookshelf Size: 396
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Mister Pushkin Springs Into Action by AC Michael
fav_author_id: 1746

Review of The Adventures of sweet Pickles mcgillicuddy The mystery of the disappearing ruby ear ring

Post by Josephe-Anne »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Adventures of sweet Pickles mcgillicuddy The mystery of the disappearing ruby ear ring" by James c Wright.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Join a small-town sleuth as she cracks her first case in The Adventures of Sweet Pickles McGillicuddy: The Mystery of the Disappearing Ruby Earring by James C. Wright. Take a trip down memory lane as you are transported to a simpler time because Anglers Cove is an old-fashioned place where community values still exist. One of the town’s residents, Jennifer, also known as Pickles, loves to eat sweet pickles and read detective novels. Sherlock Holmes is her biggest inspiration. She even pretends to be him while she’s solving mysteries. When an earring goes missing and one of her friends is accused of stealing it, Pickles is determined to clear his name and find the lost jewel. With the help of her best friend, Deardra, and their trusty canine companions, Pickles launches her investigation.

The simple cover photo features a red-haired girl and her dog. They fit the author’s description of Pickles and her dog, Buster. The plain white background could use some color or a bit of scenery, but the cover design is otherwise crisp and professional. The author’s writing style is clear and descriptive. The character dialogs are natural and believable. The main themes of the story include mystery, comedy, community values, and friendship. As this is a children’s book, there is no profanity, violence, or lewd content.

In addition to thirteen-year-old Pickles McGillicuddy and her lifelong friend, Deardra Garcia, the town is filled with many other memorable characters. Among them, Mrs. Abney is the one who reported that her ruby earring was missing. As the affluent wife of a banker, she is presumed to be snobby, but Mrs. Abney is actually a sweet older lady. Then there’s Ms. Emma Louise, the neighborhood snoop. She always seems to know the news on the street before anyone else does. Mr. Giovanni runs the market across from Mr. Broughton’s ice cream shop. Both men are kind and generous to their regular customers, and they seem to have a soft spot for the children. Of course, I can’t forget to mention Buster and Rosie, Pickles’ faithful hounds. Deardra also has a curious pup named Tuck. The dogs always tag along with the girls on their adventures.

I was overwhelmed with feelings of nostalgia as I read this book. The story seemed to be set in the 1980s or 1990s because recent technology was not mentioned in the plot. It reminded me of The New Adventures of Mary-Kate and Ashley series. I liked that nuclear family dynamics were featured in this book. I also appreciated that the story encouraged a love of reading by referencing famous literary works, such as “The Legend of Sleepy Hollow” and The Adventures of Tom Sawyer. There was a lot of great historical information in the text.

There wasn’t much to dislike about this brief tale. If I had to nitpick, I would only make a couple of comments. I think the title of the book is a bit too long. From a marketing perspective, the name should be easier to remember. Also, the mystery’s conclusion was predictable, but it is a children’s story after all. Apart from those aspects, I only found two minor errors that did not hinder my reading experience.

The Adventures of Sweet Pickles McGillicuddy: The Mystery of the Disappearing Ruby Earring by James C. Wright is a lovely cozy mystery for kids, and it deserves a rating of four out of four stars. Pickles reminded me of myself at the age of thirteen. Her love of reading really resonated with me. Overall, this is a brief and entertaining chapter book with a satisfying conclusion. The ending even hints at Pickles’ next mystery as she wonders about a spooky mansion that she passes by. This book is a great start to a cute and innocent series for children. Parents who are looking for wholesome entertainment can give their kids this book without fear because it does not contain any inappropriate material.

The Adventures of sweet Pickles mcgillicuddy The mystery of the disappearing ruby ear ring
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
JamesJaphet
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamesjaphet.html
Latest Review: The Fifth Strain by Brady Moore

Post by JamesJaphet »

Beautiful story. I'm sure children will really enjoy it. Great review.
MsH2k
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading: Shakespeare Undone
Bookshelf Size: 256
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: No Country No Home by Trudy Walter Carlson

Post by MsH2k »

It's great to see wholesome, simple stories like this still being written for children. Hopefully they will find this series a delightful escape.
Thank you for your thorough review and recommendation!
"If you can't feed a hundred people, then feed just one."
Mother Teresa
Luchris_klaus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luchris-klaus.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Luchris_klaus »

Jennifer is an intriguing character and I love her source of inspiration. I would love to read the book. Thanks for your review.
Lucy V
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucy-v.html
Latest Review: True Tales of a Traveller: Solid Gold, Easy Action by Alix Lee

Post by Lucy V »

Jennifer's adventures seems to be quite the thing. I would love to read this. Thanks for the review.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”