Review of Gringo

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kirthana_shivakumar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirthana-shivakumar.html
Latest Review: Depiction of women characters as Victims of Oppresion and Agents of action in selected short stories by Rushika Gill

Review of Gringo

Post by kirthana_shivakumar »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Gringo" by Dan "Tito" Davis.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Most of us have read books or watched movies about how fugitives live. These are usually fictional stories. This book is unique, as it is a non-fiction novel about the life of a fugitive.

Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis is a true crime novel about the life of a white fugitive in Mexico. From childhood, Davis has always been a very resourceful person. He grew up in a relatively poor family. Thus, he has always had a great desire for money. He got into the business of selling drugs right from college. He made thousands of dollars this way. Many years later, he gets framed for possession of drugs. He decides to go to Mexico to hide, despite being a white man without knowing even a single word of Spanish. A new adventure awaits him in Mexico.

I loved a great many things about this book. Firstly, the prologue immediately grabs the reader’s attention. It gives us hints of a very interesting backstory. This is a perfect start to this thriller of a book. Secondly, the main character’s inner monologue keeps you hooked. It is incredibly entertaining and hilarious. It makes the entire book very engaging. Thirdly, the book itself feels very authentic. The story feels very real to the reader due to all the minute details mentioned. Usually thriller novels just jump from one dramatic fight scene to another. Fourthly, books about crime rarely ever discuss tender feelings. They usually only focus on rage or jealousy. It was refreshing to see the main character’s love for his family brought up in this book. Fifthly, the main character is written very well. From childhood to adolescence, his needs, desires and ambitions feel very realistic.

There were very few things about this book that I did not enjoy. The main character views drugs only as a source of income. It would have been interesting if the book further explored his views on the effect that drugs had on people, and whether he felt responsible for this. Apart from this, I would’ve certainly loved it if this book had been longer.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It was a short story, but it was filled with action. From the backstory to the present situation, this book keeps you constantly engaged. I was compelled to finish it in a single sitting. I believe that it was perfectly edited, as I found no errors.

I would recommend this book to those who enjoy realistic true crime novels. I believe that it is suitable for those above the age of 16. It has some mature themes, but they are not explicit. This is the perfect book for those who have never tried true crime novels before and want to give it a shot.

Gringo
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”