Review of Lightshade

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Miriam Molina
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: A Stained White Radiance
Bookshelf Size: 649
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miriam-molina.html
Latest Review: Where There's A Will by Phillip Kerrigan
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S
2022 Reading Goal: 50
2022 Goal Completion: 4%

Review of Lightshade

Post by Miriam Molina »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Lightshade" by Marie Montine.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“You are about to enter another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land of imagination.” I remember this quote from Rod Serling, the creator of The Twilight Zone.

I loved The Twilight Zone, that show featuring short, startling tales which I so looked forward to weekly when I was young. I didn’t even know they were reruns. This book, Lightshade by Marie Montine, gave me the same high with its four stories about the supernatural. “Echo Lake” narrates the story of Faith, a restaurateur with psychic abilities. “Highway Thirteen” will make the reader wary of the number 13 (Has it ever lost its bad reputation?) and of visiting seedy roadside motels. The message “Love is forever” rings clear in “Field.” In the longest story, “The Visitor,” the reader encounters a sinister presence in a spooky park. The entire book has only 52 pages, with the last story taking up 29 of those.

I admire the author’s imagination and the clever outer and inner dialogues that portray the emotions of her characters. The creepy names for the titles and locations show her attention to detail. A restaurant called Whispering Willows, the forest Vathy’s Creek, and Raven’s Park will all ignite the horror aficionado’s interest. There is an excellent use of foreshadowing and red herrings, and I closed each story with a contented sigh. Although each story is unique and memorable, my personal favorite is “Highway Thirteen.” Police officers Kyle and Larry investigate a murder on, of all days, Christmas Eve. Will they solve it in time to greet each other with a “Merry Christmas”? Kyle’s first-person narration is spot-on. The story is a collaboration between the author and Alvin J Beck, her partner. I am guessing their dog, Pixie, contributed its two cents to the collection as well, though it is a cat, Casper, that has a special role in the “The Visitor.”

Unfortunately, the author was not careful about grammar rules. Too many errors littered the pages. The misused words, wrong verb tenses, and inaccurate punctuation marks were not too distracting. The more critical flaws were the inconsistencies (For instance, was George Faith’s husband or fiancé?) and misnamed characters. Such mistakes can spell doom for a thriller. I hope the author can get an editor to scare those errors away.

I recommend this collection to those who seek paranormal reads. There is not much profanity in the book, and it has very mild sexual content. However, I do not think it is ideal for readers below 16 owing to the discussions of marital discord and the graphic descriptions of dead bodies. I enjoyed the stories, but in its present error-ridden state, I can give only 2 out of 4 stars to the book. However, that is a situation that the author can easily remedy, and I am eager to read more of her mind-bending tales of light and shade.

Lightshade
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kike17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kike17.html
Latest Review: Seattle Earthquakes by Dewain Savage

Post by Kike17 »

You're quite observant to notice subtle names as whispering willows, Ravens peak, and others. The book seems to have the potential for a great story though. Thanks for a great review.
Miriam Molina
Favorite Book:

Post by Miriam Molina »

Kike17 wrote: 05 Dec 2021, 15:50 You're quite observant to notice subtle names as whispering willows, Ravens peak, and others. The book seems to have the potential for a great story though. Thanks for a great review.
Thanks for the compliment.

The author has great ideas. I only wish she also has a great editor.
Nomcebo_0619
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nomcebo-0619.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Nomcebo_0619 »

Sounds like an interesting book, and I'm glad the overburden of errors didn't prevent you from enjoying the book. Thanks for an excellent review.
Miriam Molina
Favorite Book:

Post by Miriam Molina »

Nomcebo_0619 wrote: 05 Dec 2021, 22:41 Sounds like an interesting book, and I'm glad the overburden of errors didn't prevent you from enjoying the book. Thanks for an excellent review.
I hope the author can weed out those errors soon.
Purplesturv
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-purplesturv.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by Purplesturv »

This would have made a remarkable read. I hope the author can follow through with correcting the errors you have pointed out in your thorough review.
JamesJaphet
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamesjaphet.html
Latest Review: The Fifth Strain by Brady Moore

Post by JamesJaphet »

This looks like an interesting book. Different stories have different messages and emotions to convey to the reader. Great review.
NetMassimo
Currently Reading: Hostile Takeover
Bookshelf Size: 268
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Family Business by James Jack Fauser
2022 Reading Goal: 57
2022 Goal Completion: 8%

Post by NetMassimo »

This collection's stories could be engaging but getting distracted by error is indeed terrible for this genre, a real thrill-breaker, so I really hope the author will do proper proofreading to enable readers to enjoy this collection. Thank you for your honest review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Kavita Shah
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Mister Pushkin Breaks The Ice by AC Michael
2022 Reading Goal: 60
2022 Goal Completion: 1%

Post by Kavita Shah »

I really like how you've styled your review! I wanted to read paranormal stories and this one sounds perfect for me.
I hope it gets properly edited.
expansive writer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-expansive-writer.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by expansive writer »

I have read through your review and this response above and I have realised that this is a good review despite the errors in it.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”