Review of Drowning a Ghost

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
2021 Reading Goal: 100
Favorite Book: Apollo's Raven
Currently Reading: High Crimes Against the Crown
Bookshelf Size: 359
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: Sham & Shel Book 2 by Weldon L. Haywood

Review of Drowning a Ghost

Post by Bertha Jackson »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Drowning a Ghost" by Janson Mancheski.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Drowning a Ghost: A Cale Van Waring Adventure by Janson Mancheski is Book 4 of The Chemist series. In this crime thriller, Detective Cale Van Warring is put on a 30-day suspension and forced to see Dr. Pamela Ranula, a contract psychotherapist, after he shoots a witch doctor in his house. His Myers-Briggs result showed that he is an INTP where logic rules over emotions. He is analytic and assertive. His girlfriend, Maggie, is pregnant, and they are both aware the father may be the man who drugged, kidnapped, and raped her. James Cho Lin owes the mob money. To pay his debt, he wants to manufacture a new opioid drug that does not affect the respiratory system that his cousin, Benny in Shanghai, invented and is worth millions. Benny is sending him all the information he needs. Cho Lin wants Cale to meet the courier. The courier and Cho Lin are both found dead. Who else knew about this new drug that would save millions of lives? Why would an ex-con ask a detective to meet his courier?

I encountered witch doctors, voodoo, the dark web, child abduction, human trafficking, murder, illegal drugs, mystery, crime, suspense, and romance in this exciting book. Janson Mancheski did a fantastic job putting all of these different aspects in a storyline that pulled me in during the first few pages. The character development was outstanding, and I could visualize each of them. The drawings of the formula for the new drug made the story feel more realistic. I found humor in the two main rules in running a dairy farm. Firstly, you must “keep the place making money,” and it is essential to “keep your eyes peeled to the ground when walking around a dairy farm.”

There was nothing negative about this book. The well-written and fast-paced plot flowed smoothly. I had to keep turning the pages to figure out who did what and why. I have not read the three previous books in this series but did not feel like I was missing any background information as the author provided everything I needed to know.

This exceptionally well-edited book deserves no less than 4 out of 4 stars. I did not encounter any errors to distract my reading, and I enjoyed the book immensely.

Readers who enjoy crime thrillers, romance, and fantasy books will enjoy this one. The profanity content is minimal, and there is only one instance of non-borderline profanity that is discrete. The murder scenes are not vividly described, but if this type of content bothers you, you may want to avoid reading this book.

Drowning a Ghost
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Amaka Ike
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amaka-ike.html
Latest Review: The Frights of Fiji by Sunayna Prasad

Post by Amaka Ike »

A book that has "witch doctors, voodoo, the dark web, child abduction, human trafficking, murder, illegal drugs, mystery, crime, suspense, and romance'' must be a very interesting, captivating and thrilling to read, good review.
JamesJaphet
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamesjaphet.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is Not What You Think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by JamesJaphet »

A crime thriller that features witch doctors, voodoo, dark web, murder etc, isn't one I'd love to read on a normal day but the storyline here draws me to this one. I'll check it out. Great review.
Ifedigbo_C
2021 Reading Goal: 70
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ifedigbo-c.html
Latest Review: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech by Marcel Sahade

Post by Ifedigbo_C »

This is an excellent crime thriller. I have no doubt that the storyline and suspense level will be incredibly top-notch. Amazing review.
Uchechukwu Okereke
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 42

Post by Uchechukwu Okereke »

This sounds like a great book. I am curious to find out how the story unfolds especially why there are witch doctors and voodoo in a book about opium and detectives. Thank you for the review!
Katso Puku
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by Katso Puku »

If there is some dark magic and horrific scenes then am in. Am definitely reading it, the review is very detailed and straightforward.
Tarie07
2021 Reading Goal: 100
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarie07.html
Latest Review: Dread Tribunal of Last Resort by Brian Kaufman

Post by Tarie07 »

There is a lot of suspense in this thriller and I love that. I would like to read this book. Thanks for the informative review.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”