Review of The Darkest Gift - Revised edition

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Review of The Darkest Gift - Revised edition

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Darkest Gift - Revised edition" by Len Handeland.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Darkest Gift is a suspenseful occult fiction novel written by Len Handeland and published in April 2021. At 225 Kindle edition pages, this one is the perfect length to pull a reader in with the premise and unforgettable characters. The story takes place over the span of 200+ years and centers around four essential characters. Jack is a self-loathing gay man who has just about given up on the possibility of love and happiness until he meets Laurent, a reincarnated vampire with a dark past and a broken heart from losing his lover, Fabian, at the hands of his former lover, Stefan. There's also the addition of Queen Raphaella, a medium with a talent for communicating with the spirits. There's a substantial amount of suspense built in the story and a bloodbath that's not for faint readers.

I found Jack's character to be the most likable while reading. He spent years battling his unhappiness and finally decides that he needs to live for his own happiness and not just to keep others content. The story goes back and forth from the character's perspective, but I appreciated how the author was able to transfer the personalities into the writing to make a distinct difference in the tone.

There are occasional moments within the story that seems almost too good to be true, but the author satisfied my need for chaos by turning back and readdressing those perfect moments with a wrench thrown in to keep me on the edge of my seat and unprepared for the final outcome. The story contains a well-developed plot with no open-ended scenarios and a satisfactory and eerie ending that will make a reader turn back a few pages to see where the significant changes could have been predicted.

The time transformation within the story is expertly written and elaborates with just the right amount of specifics to make a reader feel transported back in time with the characters as they encounter love, lust, and an overwhelming desire for revenge. Just when you think you know where the story is going to lead, the author switches up the characters to uncover another side of their personalities and unleash an entirely new perspective.

The Darkest Gift was well edited and a perfect read for the spooky season to get me in the mood for darkness. I'm happy to share my rating of 4 out of 4 stars with my fellow readers and would gladly recommend the story to any reader who has a taste for deliberate and domineering vampires with a craving for revenge. The Darkest Gift does contain explicit language and graphic scenes that wouldn't be appropriate for younger readers or though with a distaste for gore.

The Darkest Gift - Revised edition
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
Shivansh_007
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shivansh-007.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by Shivansh_007 »

Not heard of a book as interesting as this one. Quite an amazing review portraying the story. Will definitely try to shift to it after my current one.
Adelle v
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adelle-v.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Adelle v »

I think this is something that will go down well during a dark and stormy thunderstorm. Thank you for a great review.
Ekezie1998
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekezie1998.html
Latest Review: life lessons of wayne by shawn wayne swearingen

Post by Ekezie1998 »

This seems like quite an intriguing plot. Would definitely love to have this book on my shelf. Great review.
marta baglioni
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marta-baglioni.html
Latest Review: Shatter Girl by Shay Miranda

Post by marta baglioni »

That would be a perfect young adult to read during Halloween's period! Thank you for the review :)
kirthana_shivakumar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirthana-shivakumar.html
Latest Review: Depiction of women characters as Victims of Oppresion and Agents of action in selected short stories by Rushika Gill

Post by kirthana_shivakumar »

This looks very interesting. It's also one of my favourite genres so I'll definitely give it a try. Thanks for the review!
Astral Magi
Favorite Book: Name of the Wind
Currently Reading: Crossroads
Bookshelf Size: 523
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astral-magi.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Astral Magi »

Just in time for Halloween. Thanks for a great review.
🕉Be Here Now⌛
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an engaging fantasy/horror story. I like that the author revised the book, as it shows commitment. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Rishi_reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rishi-reviews.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Rishi_reviews »

This story seems like it will hold on to me till I finish it up. The horror/fantasy genre always amazes me. Thanks for the review.
Novin Aliyah
Currently Reading: The Shade of Highfall
Bookshelf Size: 26

Post by Novin Aliyah »

A story about a gay vampire romance. Unique & interesting because this is the first time I've read a story like this. A story is full of surprises and a unique love story. Can be entertainment for those who like to read. Good review.
Katelyn Frazier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Katelyn Frazier »

I can completely relate to that excitement described when issued a writing assignment at school! I feel that this is an excellent indicator of a writer who writes for the love of writing rather than some other lofty aspiration. A very interesting interview.
Penelope Simon
Currently Reading: Replaced Parts
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-penelope-simon.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Penelope Simon »

Shivansh_007 wrote: 05 Nov 2021, 08:31 Not heard of a book as interesting as this one. Quite an amazing review portraying the story. Will definitely try to shift to it after my current one.
"You know you've read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend." by Paul Sweeney :techie-reference: This is how I feel after reading this review.
Shalom Mugisha
Currently Reading: TBD August 2022 Book of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shalom-mugisha.html
Latest Review: The Pro-Achievement Principle by Dr. Deborah Bright

Post by Shalom Mugisha »

That's quite an interesting book that I can't wait to read.
Thanks a lot for your review.
Luchris_klaus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luchris-klaus.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Luchris_klaus »

The book is filled with suspense and I really like it. I love the plot of the book. Good review.
Immaculate06
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-immaculate06.html
Latest Review: ByTheWay by Dennis Santos

Post by Immaculate06 »

Jack is an interesting character and I would love to know if he later found love. Good plot. Thanks for your review.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”