Review of The Franklin Project

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kennedy NC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kennedy-nc.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Review of The Franklin Project

Post by Kennedy NC »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Franklin Project" by Debrah Dennis.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Caron Tucker goes through a rough childhood, with uncaring parents and calamities befalling her at every turn. She relishes the few months her parents stay away from drugs and enjoys the good moments accompanying those few months. Caron is abused severally and raped on different occasions. She summons up the courage to escape from her parents and start a new life.

Caron begins to take lessons at a gym to learn how to defend herself. At the gym, she meets Mike, who trains her and helps her develop defense skills. She learns to protect herself against the constant attacks, which seems unbelievable to almost everyone she tells. Caron starts to build confidence in her abilities. She finds an advertisement for an agency seeking people who would be trained and hired as agents to defend other people. She accepts the offer on Mike’s advice. Caron manages to pass the training required along with Shelly, another agent. They are recruited to work for Henderson and Associates and work as bodyguards when needed. However, is defense all there is to the agency or is there a more complicated scheme?

The Franklin Project by Debrah Dennis is a fascinating read. It is a short book of fewer than three hundred pages that would make a good escape from reality for a while. The author’s manner of writing makes it easy for the reader to flow with the book at every point. The author manages to use flashbacks effectively in the book. These flashbacks help a reader to understand Caron’s past and the severity of the abuse she suffered during her childhood. The book is written comprehensively, and I enjoyed reading the background story of the clients the assets had to protect or eliminate based on the situation.

The book encompasses themes such as betrayal, rape, friendship, abuse, revenge, and murder. I enjoyed following the growth of the characters, and I loved that they were relatable and unique. I did not find a single error in the book. It was edited exceptionally. I did not enjoy the way the book ended, as it seemed to promote revenge. I believe the girls could have handled everything in a better way, as their actions just showed them to be the monsters they sought revenge on. This is highly subjective, though. Also, at a point, the asset’s task and performance became predictable. This made me a little bored.

All these notwithstanding, I rate this book four out of four stars. I did not give it a lower rating as the points listed above did not affect my overall satisfaction. I recommend this book to lovers of fiction and people suffering from abuse.

The Franklin Project
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
dumbbunny
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by dumbbunny »

The themes in this book sound gripping. I love the way the review has been written, thank you!
marta baglioni
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marta-baglioni.html
Latest Review: Shatter Girl by Shay Miranda

Post by marta baglioni »

I liked your review. I think I will give this book a shot. Thanks!
Banimi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Banimi »

The reviewer has given any reader a broad understanding of what has transpared in the the book; it also shows how bold and courageous Caron was handling her circumstances in the course of all odd.
Shivansh_007
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shivansh-007.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by Shivansh_007 »

The reviewer has portrayed the story in a very subtle way, and the theme seems quite suspicious as well. Thanks for the review.
Adelle v
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adelle-v.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Adelle v »

Definitely something I would like to read. It just goes to show, no matter what happens in life one can always get up and get going.
Ekezie1998
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekezie1998.html
Latest Review: life lessons of wayne by shawn wayne swearingen

Post by Ekezie1998 »

This seems like quite an intriguing plot. Would definitely love to have this book on my shelf. Great review.
kirthana_shivakumar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirthana-shivakumar.html
Latest Review: Depiction of women characters as Victims of Oppresion and Agents of action in selected short stories by Rushika Gill

Post by kirthana_shivakumar »

This looks very interesting. It's also one of my favourite genres so I'll definitely give it a try. Thanks for the review!
Astral Magi
Favorite Book: Name of the Wind
Currently Reading: Crossroads
Bookshelf Size: 523
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astral-magi.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Astral Magi »

Because of the action, I would like to find the time to read this one. Thanks for a great review.
🕉Be Here Now⌛
Suleiman Mangi
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 18

Post by Suleiman Mangi »

Spectacular just shows the daily struggles we face. We can be down but not out. I'm looking forward to reading it
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an intense story that digs into some really dark aspects of human beings and it looks like darkess looked back at the protagonists... thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Immaculate06
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-immaculate06.html
Latest Review: ByTheWay by Dennis Santos

Post by Immaculate06 »

I love the storyline of the book. Caron is an interesting character and I would love to know she ended. Thanks for your review.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”