Review of Double Down

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kennedy NC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kennedy-nc.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Review of Double Down

Post by Kennedy NC »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Double Down" by C J Axlerod.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Double Down by C. J. Axlerod is an enthralling mystery book. The book begins with Brian unfriending his friend, David, as he feels betrayed by David talking to his crush, Karen. Unfriending David is not the only thing he does, as he proceeds to kill his friend too. The next chapter of the book introduces us to Alex Cole, a hotshot actor. Alex is shot, and a letter containing an express warning is left behind at the scene. Things get crazier when a member of an audience points a gun at Alex during a show.

In a bid to ensure Alex’s safety, Diana suggests that a man named Aaron Peterson should be hired as Alex’s doppelganger to represent him in public in order to keep Alex safe. Aaron’s resemblance to Alex is fascinating, as it confuses even the best of people, except Diana. Aaron is hired and trained to be Alex’s double. However, Diana starts to have double feelings about him and feels that he has some hidden person who she does not like at all. What is Aaron’s secret? Is Diana just being paranoid about Alex’s safety? Who is the shooter?

This book would amaze any reader. Unravelling mysteries is something I honestly yearn to do with every book. I felt excited when I started reading this book. After reading the book's first line, ‘All Brian could feel was hate.’, I yearned to read more of the book. Double down is a 250-page book consisting of 34 chapters. The author employs a host of great literary devices in bringing this work of art to life. The book contains flashbacks used at various points to elaborate on the reasons for the characters’ behaviours. The book is narrated from the omniscient point of view, making it possible to read the minds of different characters and understand their actions and decisions.

The use of irony in this book is superb. There are traces of dramatic, verbal and situational irony. The discovery at the end of the book was shocking because I thought everything had been revealed, and I knew more than the characters did. I did not find a lot of errors in this book. The author ensured that the book was professionally edited, and this encouraged me to continue reading. I had my eyes glued to the book and was ever willing to find out what the next page holds.

The book was terrific, except for the fact that I could guess who the killer was from an early part of the book, and this turned me off a little. It could just be that I have read too many murder mysteries, so others may not regard this as a negative point. I could not find anything else that did not sit well with me in this book. Therefore, I rate it four out of four stars. I did not rate it lower because it was an exciting and thrilling book. I recommend this book to lovers of murder mysteries and lovers of fiction in general.

Double Down
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ghulam farid 1
Currently Reading: Chameleons
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ghulam farid 1 »

I rate it four out of four stars. I did not rate it lower because it was an exciting and thrilling book. I recommend this book to lovers of murder mysteries and lovers of fiction in general
marta baglioni
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marta-baglioni.html
Latest Review: Shatter Girl by Shay Miranda

Post by marta baglioni »

The first line is catching, indeed. This book seems too chaotic for my liking, though. Thank you!
Ekezie1998
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekezie1998.html
Latest Review: life lessons of wayne by shawn wayne swearingen

Post by Ekezie1998 »

Unravelling mysteries is something I honestly yearn to do with every book. Great review.
Hani97
Currently Reading: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Hani97 »

I think I found what I was looking for, puzzles and other things that make you ask questions such as who, where, when, they add an element of excitement and suspense, thank you.
Reader 14
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by Reader 14 »

Doppelganger ideas seem nice to have here looks a lot like you are in LA and murder went wrong.
Kibabcock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibabcock.html
Latest Review: House of Dads by June Gillam

Post by Kibabcock »

I absolutely love a good mystery and what you put in the review makes this book sound like a good option for me. I don’t mind knowing who the murderer is early in the book as long as the story continues to be interesting. I really look forward to reading this book. Great review!
Nonso Ok
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonso-ok.html
Latest Review: A Murder in Brownsville by Donald Steven Collins

Post by Nonso Ok »

Spoils the whole fun if I am able to guess who the bad person is from the beginning.
Richard Onyebuwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Richard Onyebuwa »

Sounds to me like an interesting read. I do hope the characters in this book are connected and not some random addition to the plot though. I mean how is brian and his misdeed with david connecting to alex and his doppelganger sharade? Well reading the book is only one way to find out.
kirthana_shivakumar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirthana-shivakumar.html
Latest Review: Depiction of women characters as Victims of Oppresion and Agents of action in selected short stories by Rushika Gill

Post by kirthana_shivakumar »

This looks very interesting. It's also one of my favourite genres so I'll definitely give it a try. Thanks for the review!
19blueofficial
Favorite Book: Kalayla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-19blueofficial.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by 19blueofficial »

I look a good mystery book and the book cover really captured me. Nice review!
AmberLiz
Currently Reading: The Freedom Building
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amberliz.html
Latest Review: The Assignment by Don Chance

Post by AmberLiz »

I read a fair amount of thrillers, but I'm intrigued by this one. I'm curious to know if I would be able to guess the killer as well, as I feel I can do that somewhat easily at times too, but I still enjoy the book if it is well written.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like a terrific crime thriller that mixes drama and humor in a story full of twists. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Immaculate06
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-immaculate06.html
Latest Review: ByTheWay by Dennis Santos

Post by Immaculate06 »

I love the book cover design, the chess piece gives an idea of what the book involves. Good plot. Thanks for your review.
eman_66
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by eman_66 »

such an amazing book. The story, the suspense everything is on point. It is the type of story that I always wanted to read.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”