Review of The Broken Glass Mystery

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Review of The Broken Glass Mystery

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Broken Glass Mystery" by Don Monroe.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

After inheriting money from his uncle, 38-year-old Duke Moran is now a retired police detective living in the small town of Black Crow, Wisconsin. He spends his time fishing, fixing up his house, and going out with his girlfriend. But his simple, quiet life is interrupted when his home is broken into one night, although nothing is taken. That same night a couple is murdered, and the police chief asks Duke to help with the investigation. Then a second couple is killed, and Duke’s home is broken into again. What is the connection between the murders and the break-ins at Duke’s home? Can Duke and his new partner, Rob, solve the case before anyone else is killed?

The Broken Glass Mystery by Don Monroe is an intriguing and entertaining story. It wasn’t action-packed, but there were some well-written action scenes, including a car chase and two shoot-outs. The mystery was fantastic. I was constantly engaged in it and trying to figure out who the killer was and the significance of them breaking into Duke’s house. While I had strong suspicions about the murderer, I didn’t know for sure until right before everything was revealed.

I thought the wring style of this story was really interesting. It was from Duke’s first-person perspective. This ended up being both my favorite and least favorite thing about this book. It was my favorite because I was able to get to know Duke really well, and his voice and personality came through very clearly as he narrated the story.

However, the writing style was also my least favorite thing because the first-person point of view kept me from being able to get to know the other characters. And Duke didn’t spend a lot of time thinking about them, so they were very one-dimensional.

The main problem with this book is that it really needs another round of thorough editing because I found multiple errors. The most frequent one was the use of its instead of it’s. I also noticed some discrepancies in the dates that were listed at the beginning of each chapter. There were also small details that changed between chapters, like the amount of the insurance policies one of the murdered couples had.

Despite the issues the book has, I did enjoy reading it. I would give it 2.5 stars if I could, but since I can’t, I am rating it 3 stars out of 4 because I feel that the very intriguing mystery and the other things I liked about it were enough to give it more than 2 stars. There was some profanity, and there were a few sex scenes but no explicit details. So I recommend this book to mature readers who like a good mystery with some action.

The Broken Glass Mystery
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

I have mixed feelings about this novel because the mystery seems terrific but the flaws you pointed out might spoil the fun. Regardless, thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

NetMassimo wrote: 01 Nov 2021, 16:53 I have mixed feelings about this novel because the mystery seems terrific but the flaws you pointed out might spoil the fun. Regardless, thank you for your great review!
Thanks for reading and commenting!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”