Review of Ruby

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Miller56
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miller56.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Review of Ruby

Post by Miller56 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Ruby" by Cathy Coburn.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“Please don’t kill me.” Psychopaths find humor in taunting, and Ruby was no different. She felt that people were stupid and didn’t deserve to live. The behavior Ruby exhibits is expected, except Ruby is only eight years old and has been killing people for a while. Ruby by Cathy Coburn is the story of Ruby Parker, those who she felt deserved to die, and those working to stop her killing spree.

Patricia and Tom Cummings are neighbors to the Parker family. They have stayed away from the Parkers because Patricia felt uncomfortable around them. Ruby gave everyone she met an uneasy feeling. Even animals seemed uncomfortable around Ruby. Dogs would growl when she came near them, and cats would hiss at her. Everyone sensed that this beautiful, smart child had something wrong with her.

Patricia Cummings was one of my favorite characters in the book. She saw through Ruby and made it her mission to end Ruby’s killing spree. She showed a lot of strength and courage in going after a psychopath. Her kindness to those around her was an asset. She reached out to those around her and offered support and strength. Sometimes it was in the form of food and shelter and sometimes it was just a person to talk to. However, everyone seemed drawn to her.
Although Ruby is a tough cookie to swallow, there are some things about her that I found intriguing. She managed to be self-sufficient and live on the run. I see this as a strength that many people do not have. She was able to use her childish, sweet side to manipulate people. This was not such a charming trait, but it showed her intelligence. She understood situations and used people’s weaknesses against them.

My least favorite character in the story was Tom Cummings, Patricia’s husband. He was a public servant who worked with children’s protective services. Even though he showed compassion, he seemed to not understand children. He couldn’t see through Ruby’s manipulations. He was also busy protecting himself and saying it was to protect his wife.

I would rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. This book has multiple editing mistakes. If these were fixed, I would gladly give the book 4 stars. The book holds the reader’s attention, and the ending leaves you hanging. It is a great lead-in to the next book.

The book is great for all ages. There is no sexual content. The book contains some language that people may deem unacceptable, but it is appropriate for the subject. There is some violence and a bit of descriptive gore, but it does not take away from the story. I recommend this book to anyone who enjoys mystery thrillers. I look forward to reading more books from this author.

Ruby
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Nonso Ok
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonso-ok.html
Latest Review: A Murder in Brownsville by Donald Steven Collins

Post by Nonso Ok »

I enjoy mystery thrillers and this one seems like a perfect one for me. Would definitely want to know what happened with Patricia.
marta baglioni
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marta-baglioni.html
Latest Review: Shatter Girl by Shay Miranda

Post by marta baglioni »

This seems good! Thanks :)
Lia Swiss
Favorite Book: The Selection
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akeilia-lewis.html
Latest Review: Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by Lia Swiss »

This book seems very intriguing and I would love to read it and experience the mind of a psychopath from a child's point of view
collinsogw555
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-collinsogw555.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by collinsogw555 »

This is an interesting story of a young girl called Ruby who felt humans are not worth living for. What would make her think that way? I think I will find out by reading this book. Thanks for the review.
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Post by Rayah Raouf »

Your summary of the book got me shocked! This sounds a bit dark but also interesting! I was surprised to see that you would recommend it to all ages. However, I am extremely curious. Fantastic review.
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

What I see as most disturbing about “Ruby” is that some children are actual psychopaths and you would never suspect a thing.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an intriguing thriller with a strong psychological element that is quite peculiar, as it concerns a child in particular. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
saintmichael452
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by saintmichael452 »

Even thought the book seems interesting from the write up..Tom Cummings not been able to understand children is what happens in normal day world we live in cos children tend to associate with their mummies more than their daddies cos mummies seems to understand them very well...will grab a copy and read through

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”