Review of Souljourner

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nzube Chizoba Okeke
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nzube-chizoba-okeke.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Review of Souljourner

Post by Nzube Chizoba Okeke »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Souljourner" by Paul Steven Stone.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In Souljourner by Paul Steven Stone, David Rockwood Worthington is serving time for the murder of his wife, Anna — a crime he does not deny. In this crime story, David Worthington believes an alleged 'Karmic Gravitational Slide' has strongly predetermined the course of his life. His situation is worsened by a vengeful spirit too familial and determined to wreak havoc in his life.

The first thing that readers or 'souljourners,' as the story insists on calling readers, will observe is the unique narrative technique. The narrator (I say 'narrator' instead of the author because one gets the feeling that it is the narrator, a character in the book, and not the author that does the writing) writes directly to the readers whom he insists are 'the reincarnated souls of the narrator.' The effect of his assertion is that the story being told is the reader's story from another incarnation. The tone is interactive because the narrator is writing to himself!

From the beginning of the book, the facts are laid out by the narrator. He tells us he is in jail for murdering his wife and what was responsible. Ordinarily, this should have been a spoiler for "the great plot reveal," but not in Souljourner. Despite the revelation of the book's substance early on, readers will still not escape the thrilling shivers of suspense and spiraling waves of anticipation and curiosity. I am awed at the author's creativity and mastery in engaging storytelling.

The narrator presents this book to readers as something deeper and more than just a story. It's as though he hasn't entirely decided whether the book should be a story or a spiritual book. Indeed, Souljourner takes readers on an exploration of ideas, which some may find 'bone-chilling' and others simply ludicrous. The narrator argues for the touchy subject of 'reincarnation' and boldly asserts that all humans are reincarnated. This idea may be comforting to some and deeply disturbing to others. The idea of reincarnation is merely one of the spooky topics the book touches, as the narrator delves into other ideas that validate the active existence of a spiritual realm. He also talks about out-of-body experiences and predestination. These topics undoubtedly raise a myriad of questions. Here are a few of the questions: Are humans genuinely powerless in the face of the universe's predestined life pattern? How far-reaching is the influence of the dead on the living?

The narrator is right when he writes that readers will take from the book whatever they choose. Some may decide to go away with an obstinate reservation about some of the discomforting ideas. Others can choose to take inspiration from some characters in the book, like Tom Brazos, David's friend and psychic. Tom believes we sometimes forget it is not the body we love but the spirit inside. This statement aptly captures what humanity should be about — the inside and not the physical.

With riveting characters, the book culminates into an ending that may be as creepy as the story concept itself. Readers are sure not to get lost with a helpful glossary that provides the meaning of specific strange terms.

Besides a few minor errors, I have no issue with this book. I recommend it to readers who are not afraid to read something that challenges their natural disposition to life. I rate this book four out of four stars.

Souljourner
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtibza-em.html
Latest Review: Am I Burned Out at Work? by Salar A. Khan MD, MBA

Post by Mtibza eM »

At first glance, I thought this is a book about marine life, judging by the cover. But after reading your review, I see it is more than that. I think I will get it.
Snigdha Pandey
Favorite Author: David Levithan
Favorite Book: Burn for Me (Hidden Legacy, #1)
Currently Reading: One last stop
Bookshelf Size: 316
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snigdha-pandey.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi
fav_author_id: 5798

Post by Snigdha Pandey »

The writing style seems very different, in a good way. The plot was already intriguing, and now I am also curious about the reading experience of the book. I would love to check it out. Thanks for the great review.
Chinaza Nnabuenyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinaza-nnabuenyi.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chinaza Nnabuenyi »

This book is characterized by a different writing style. Crime novels are intriguing. Great review.
Marelene Agudo
Currently Reading: SweetMart
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Marelene Agudo »

I enjoy reading the book. At first glance, I thought it is for all readers but then the story of the book is scary. I honestly speaking I don't like reading scary book however I don't have choice. The cover of the book was eye catchy.
RHD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhd.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by RHD »

This one seems quite unique. I also like picking up pieces that trigger my train of thoughts. Thank you for such an insightful review, Zee_Zee!
Goodness C N
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goodness-c-n.html
Latest Review: Love Yourself & Lose Weight: The Success Story of Self Love by Katie Lips

Post by Goodness C N »

I do believe that books on specific topics and all are better appreciated by readers who have an interest in them. Regardless, you have a well-written review that gives the reader an insight into what to expect. Well done on this one.
Fareed Regal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fareed-regal.html
Latest Review: In Plain Sight by Susan Mallett

Post by Fareed Regal »

Well done on a very insightful review. The book, as per your review, is not your ordinary type of fiction scenario. Very interesting!
Salah bourouba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salah-bourouba.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Salah bourouba »

waw definitely a nice change of structure that fact that he talks to himself from another lifetime is intriguing. interesting book, great review
Recite in the name of your Lord who created [*] Created man from a clinging substance [*] Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous [*] Who taught by the pen [*] Taught man that which he knew not.
The Quran. Surah Al Alaq
Humera955
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-humera955.html
Latest Review: Smart Love by Vincent Fudge II
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Humera955 »

I would really like to read this book, let's see how well it has been Narrated as described in the reveiw🍀
:tiphat:
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This novel seems to have a unique storytelling approach to address some spiritual and philosophical questions. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

It's creative when authors make a big reveal on the outcome, but still manage to keep the narration of the processes very spot on. This book seems a little too deep. Thanks for the review
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I once read a book that seemed similar to this and I loved it. Alternate explanations for a crime, like David’s, always interest me.
Deval Sodha
Currently Reading: Surviving the Business of Healthcare
Bookshelf Size: 372
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deval-sodha.html
Latest Review: Speaks for Itself by Jeffrey Paul Bailey.

Post by Deval Sodha »

This is an excellent read with a unique writing style. The readers get to experience various situations throughout the book and can learn or unlearn many things.
The review is superb.
Congratulations on Botd 🎉
Pandora10
Favorite Book: Remembering Christmas
Currently Reading: The Road to Management
Bookshelf Size: 116

Post by Pandora10 »

The author's writing style is rather unique. The character of David, who is the narrator, with a warning for fellow souljourners, did not feel believable and it was not something I could relate to. I did find it somewhat amusing, though mostly ludicrous.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”