Review of Diagnosis Death: A Prescription for Murder

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Harty Muli
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harty-muli.html
Latest Review: Singularity by Jayme A. Oliveira Filho

Review of Diagnosis Death: A Prescription for Murder

Post by Harty Muli »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Diagnosis Death: A Prescription for Murder" by Gracie Fawlings.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In Gracie Fawlings’ sensational crime novel Diagnosis Death: A Prescription for Murder, four medical practitioners are perturbed by a series of unexplained deaths at the university hospital, where three of them work. Of the three, two are medical doctors from prominent families in Alder City, who renounced plush positions in their family-owned businesses to pursue a career in primary care at the Randelsburg County University Hospital (University Hospital), Alder City. Despite administering the correct medication to their patients, both Dr. Chuck Hueston III and Dr. Angela Menendez observe a cycle of erratic medical developments in the patients, before they eventually succumb to their illness.

Not wanting to stir up a hornets' nest, both doctors, with the help of a pharmacist and a chemist, quietly launch an investigation of their own. Since the not-for-profit hospital was founded primarily for the underprivileged, Angela, Chuck, and their friends selflessly take on the role of championing the cause of the poor. In the process, they discover more about themselves than they could ever have under different circumstances.

I liked how the characters of Angela and Chuck were contrasted to that of Todd Christopher III, the grandson of University Hospital founder, Todd Christopher Jr. Even though they were all the same age and descended from well-heeled families, the oafish Todd was unable to execute the noble mandate that had been handed down to him through his father, Todd Sr. I, however, thought that Todd’s ineffectiveness may partly have been attributed to the age-old custom where some rich families identified suitors for their children (as was the case with Todd). As an elitist, judgmental, and selfish woman, Jennifer Ashley’s—Todd’s wife’s—character was a stark contrast to that of her husband. Unsurprisingly, as the CFO of University Hospital, Todd found himself unable to pick his wife’s mind on financial matters touching on the hospital.

In summary, I didn’t find anything dislikeable with this book. I came across only two editing errors, which did nothing to diminish my enjoyment of the novel. I, thus, rated the book 4 out of 4 stars. On a more personal note, Fawlings’ story hit me close to home because I recently lost a friend under unclear circumstances.

Lastly, with such varied themes as the right of parents to approve a marriage partner, terminal illness, premeditated murder, migrant workers in the workplace, homosexuality, inheritance, and medical insurance, this book is likely to attract a diverse readership. As a result, I recommend the book to a reader looking for a crime novel with a broad and diverse group of characters. At the same time, it’s less suited to a reader disinterested in a book featuring overt references to homosexuality.

Diagnosis Death: A Prescription for Murder
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Chinaza Nnabuenyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinaza-nnabuenyi.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chinaza Nnabuenyi »

I like the energy put in this story, the author deed a good job. Great review.
Kaushiki Parihar
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaushiki-parihar.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Kaushiki Parihar »

The plot sounds so terrifying, but i think I will be thrilled to read this medical crime novel with so many diverse themes and characters. Thanks for the recommendation and amazing review.
Muna Chizzy
Currently Reading: Gardening With Guns
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-muna-chizzy.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Muna Chizzy »

Sounds like a great story line, I wonder how the doctors will uncover the mysterious death. Thanks for the captivating review.
Salah bourouba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salah-bourouba.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Salah bourouba »

sounds like an intruiging mystery, what would the doctors do not to be blamed for the deaths, interesting book, great review
Recite in the name of your Lord who created [*] Created man from a clinging substance [*] Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous [*] Who taught by the pen [*] Taught man that which he knew not.
The Quran. Surah Al Alaq
Humera955
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-humera955.html
Latest Review: Smart Love by Vincent Fudge II
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Humera955 »

Medical crime mysteries are my favorite.
Adding to my list❤
Great review🍀
:tiphat:
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an intriguing crime novel centered around a medical mystery that uses the plot to address a number of important themes. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

This book sounds very interesting. I’ve always wondered if underprivileged people get the same level of care as others. Thanks for the review.
Lee-dre L
Currently Reading: Troubled Blood
Bookshelf Size: 169
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lee-dre-l.html
Latest Review: Waves Break (on Unknown Shores) by Barry Litherland
Reading Device: B005890G8Y

Post by Lee-dre L »

This sounds intriguing. I like that the author addresses certain issues in the book, like the quality of hospital care given to the less privileged. Great review.
Asma Aisha Ansari
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Roadside Picnic
Currently Reading: Sapiens
Bookshelf Size: 813
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asma-aisha-ansari.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Asma Aisha Ansari »

This book has an intriguing plot and an incredible cast of characters.
Thanks for this amazing review. :tiphat:
Imagination is a good servant, and a bad master. - Agatha Christie
Famooosha1
Currently Reading: The Richest Man In Babylon
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by Famooosha1 »

This book, Diagnosis Death: A Prescription for Murder sounds intriguing and the investigation of the doctors remains a mystery until the book is gone through.
I'm gonna place a booking on my own copy soon. Thanks for the reviewer for a job well done.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”