Review of The Struggle

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Review of The Struggle

Post by Prisallen »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Struggle" by Anthony M. Corelli.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Anthony M. Corelli has had the ability to perceive demons ever since he was a small child. However, no one believed him, not even his family. He discovered that praying to Jesus for help could make the monsters go away temporarily. As the years went by, the problems grew worse, and he was eventually forced to deal with family members becoming possessed.

After a very rocky start to his life, Anthony ultimately became a pastor and a psychologist and was called upon several times to help people who were struggling with demons. Now, he would confront his most daunting challenge. A family visited his church, seeking help. After visiting their home, Anthony became convinced that their lives were in danger; at least one of the demons in their house was exceptionally powerful. The pastor Anthony worked under didn’t believe demons still existed. He was convinced the family suffered psychological problems that would be made worse if an exorcism was attempted. Anthony knew he had to disobey orders and try to save the family from this evil.

The Struggle by Anthony M. Corelli is a 224-page novel listed in the C/T/M/H genre. The topic is the struggle between good and evil, which is obviously where the title came from. According to the author, “Although there is a lot of fiction on these pages, many real-life scenarios were woven into this story.” The character of Anthony Corelli seems to be loosely based on the author’s life. He says he also has witnessed demons since he was a small child. In addition, he is an ordained minister and a psychologist and has been called upon to exorcise demons in the past. Not wanting notoriety, the author wishes to remain anonymous. His reasons for writing the book are twofold: To begin with, he wants to warn us that demons are real, and there has been a rise in demonic activity lately. Second, he wants to teach readers about Jesus’s love and salvation.

The book provides a chilling reminder of what evil can do when it is invited into a person’s life. The author’s vivid prose is easy to understand. The story begins right away with Anthony as a five-year-old child at his birthday party but increasingly nervous about going to bed because of the monsters he would see after dark. The narrative is told from the third-person point of view. I have to applaud the author for the multiple twists and turns and the unexpected ending. The reminder that Jesus loves us and can save us takes away some of the darkness of the novel.

Although I found this book fascinating, a couple of areas could use improvement. The story would be even more captivating with additional “showing” and less “telling.” This would help the reader to feel like they were actually there, witnessing the events instead of just being told about them. It would also assist in developing a closer attachment to the characters. In addition, I encountered over ten errors. I recommend one more round of proofreading.

Because of the aforementioned reasons, The Struggle achieves a rating of three out of four stars. I enthusiastically recommend the story for Christians and people who would like to learn more about Jesus and what the Bible says concerning demons. People who aren’t religious but who enjoy scary tales will also appreciate the novel. Because Jesus is a vitally important part of this book, readers to belong to other religious organizations besides Christianity might not appreciate the story very much. Sensitive readers need to be aware that violence is encountered in the book.

The Struggle
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Priya_Singh
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priya-singh.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Priya_Singh »

This book seems amazing. I love books exploring supernatural genre regarding demons and devils. Also I am curious to know how exorcism works. Thank you so much for your wonderful review 🌻🌼
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Priya_Singh wrote: 25 Sep 2021, 04:50 This book seems amazing. I love books exploring supernatural genre regarding demons and devils. Also I am curious to know how exorcism works. Thank you so much for your wonderful review 🌻🌼
Then, I think this is a book you should read. I don't think you will be disappointed. Thanks for stopping by!
Leah Blackman Pitt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leah-blackman-pitt.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: From Weekend Golfer to Pro Golfer in Two Years by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Leah Blackman Pitt »

This book seems readable, although I am not a fan much of supernatural fiction, however, the fact that this one incorporates real-life scenarios has captured my attention. And I love that it also includes Jesus and how powerful and important his role is in dispelling darkness.
NancyDrew12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nancydrew12.html
Latest Review: The Tooth Fairy Makes A Mistake by Great-Aunt Rita

Post by NancyDrew12 »

I love books about the supernatural and this book sounds very interesting! As a person who loves scary tales this would be a must read for me. What a nicely written review :D.
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Leah Pitt wrote: 25 Sep 2021, 10:42 This book seems readable, although I am not a fan much of supernatural fiction, however, the fact that this one incorporates real-life scenarios has captured my attention. And I love that it also includes Jesus and how powerful and important his role is in dispelling darkness.
It seems like this would be a book for you. I hope you give it a try. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
Amy Luman
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I believe that demons exist, but I am pretty sure that exorcisms don’t help. I think that in the past mental problems were diagnosed as demon possession.
Suzer6440 xyz
Favorite Book: Pearl River Mansion
Currently Reading: Five Total Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suzer6440-xyz.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Suzer6440 xyz »

Wow! This book sounds really good. I love that real life scenarios were woven into the story as described in this review. I do not read many books geared towards Christianity or Jesus. However I find it fascinating to read about the challenges and how he deals with these demons in his life good job on your review
Unosthetic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unosthetic.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Unosthetic »

I thought the book is great not until I saw that it contains more than ten errors. I wish the author consider another round of editing. Great review though.
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Rashawn Carter wrote: 25 Sep 2021, 15:00 I love books about the supernatural and this book sounds very interesting! As a person who loves scary tales this would be a must read for me. What a nicely written review :D.
It was quite spooky. I hope you get to read it!
NancyDrew12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nancydrew12.html
Latest Review: The Tooth Fairy Makes A Mistake by Great-Aunt Rita

Post by NancyDrew12 »

Prisallen wrote: 26 Sep 2021, 08:21
Rashawn Carter wrote: 25 Sep 2021, 15:00 I love books about the supernatural and this book sounds very interesting! As a person who loves scary tales this would be a must read for me. What a nicely written review :D.
It was quite spooky. I hope you get to read it!
I hope so too! Ill be keeping a eye out for your lovely reviews as well :).
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Amy Luman wrote: 25 Sep 2021, 16:13 I believe that demons exist, but I am pretty sure that exorcisms don’t help. I think that in the past mental problems were diagnosed as demon possession.
You are right that some patients with mental problems in the past were believed to be possessed. However, the minister who wrote this book would probably argue with you about whether exorcism could help in cases where there really are demons. I, myself, have never seen one, but I believe that there are people who have special abilities in this area that I don't have. Personally, I don't mind not having that ability. Have a good day! :)
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Suzer6440 xyz wrote: 25 Sep 2021, 18:54 Wow! This book sounds really good. I love that real life scenarios were woven into the story as described in this review. I do not read many books geared towards Christianity or Jesus. However I find it fascinating to read about the challenges and how he deals with these demons in his life good job on your review
If you would like to know how he deals with the demons, then you need to read the book. :lol: Seriously, I think it would be an eye-opener for you!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Unosthetic wrote: 25 Sep 2021, 23:05 I thought the book is great not until I saw that it contains more than ten errors. I wish the author consider another round of editing. Great review though.
You know we can't give a perfect score if there are more than ten errors; however, there weren't many more than that, and they weren't very distracting. It would be an easy matter to fix the errors. I appreciate you taking the time to read my review and comment. Thank you!
Kaushiki Parihar
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaushiki-parihar.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Kaushiki Parihar »

Well, I found the book fascinating because of its plot and it's scary theme. However, I am not sure whether I'll read this book or not because of its religious and violent side. Thanks for your honest review.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”