Review of The Future Is Set

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Arite Seki
Currently Reading: The Alchemist
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arite-seki.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Review of The Future Is Set

Post by Arite Seki »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Future Is Set" by Nigel Billington.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Future Is Set by Nigel Billington is an action-thriller involving metaphysics, philosophy and jam-packed tension. This book is the first instalment in a series and leaves the reader in anticipation of what’s to come as it ends on a slight cliff-hanger.

The protagonist, Josh Brannon, grows up in an abusive home environment and feels as though he has no control over his life. One day, he experiences a strange event that haunts him into his adult life. He puts the event behind him and joins the army, rising up the ranks as a promising individual. His life gets thrown into disarray when he is recruited by a secret government agency which only leads him to uncover a web of deception and confusion.

My favourite part of the book was how the tension was maintained throughout the story. From the first chapter, I was introduced to my first mystery and left to ponder on this as more mysteries unravelled themselves. I felt that the author was careful to not reveal too much while simultaneously giving the reader small clues that that be used to draw their own conclusions.

There was no aspect of this book that I particularly disliked. However, there was a character that was introduced in the beginning and I spent the rest of the novel waiting for the explanation as to his appearance. As I got to the end of the book, I realised that he may be important in the subsequent books and so my frustration morphed into continuing intrigue.

I give this book a 4 out of 4 stars rating. The book was professionally edited with no errors. I found that the plot left me constantly on the edge of my seat awaiting an unknown threat. I found the main character relatable and easy to root for even as he was entangled in situations that required him to make questionable moral choices. The story unfolded in such a way that made it difficult to predict the endings and plot twists. I thoroughly enjoyed getting lost in the pages of The Future Is Set.

I would recommend this to readers who enjoy fast-paced thrillers with explosive action. The plot involves numerous conspiracies and suspicious characters and therefore, anyone who enjoys mysteries would be entertained as well. The book does contain offensive language and relatively mature themes such as murder, which I think would be more appropriate for an older audience.

The Future Is Set
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes
T T 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-t-2.html
Latest Review: Three loves and other stories by Lata Gullapalli

Post by T T 2 »

Very intrigued by the story this book follows. Now I am curious to know what happens in the story going forward. Thank you for the review.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

What is the strange event that has followed Josh since he was a child? Maybe I’ll have to read the whole series. Thanks for the review.
Astral Magi
Favorite Book: Name of the Wind
Currently Reading: Crossroads
Bookshelf Size: 523
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astral-magi.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Astral Magi »

I am a huge fan of metaphysics, so this book is going to my bookshelf. Thanks for a great review.
🕉Be Here Now⌛
Gabriella1997
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriella1997.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Gabriella1997 »

I love thrillers and suspense, would love to read this book, beautiful review.
Luchris_michael
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luchris-michael.html
Latest Review: Rulers of the Galaxy by Tayma Tameem

Post by Luchris_michael »

The plot of the book is a wonderful one. I would love to read the sequels of the book. Thank you for your review.
Gabriella1997
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriella1997.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Gabriella1997 »

Am a lover of metaphysics, am definitely reading this book, beautiful review.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”