Review of Things That Go Bump In The Night

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Buk Nerd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-buk-nerd.html
Latest Review: Ribzkniks by Y M Georges

Review of Things That Go Bump In The Night

Post by Buk Nerd »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Things That Go Bump In The Night" by Wilson Jackson.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What could be worse than having a serial killer running loose in your city? Police Captain Frank Penn is about to find out.

Jalen Penn and Stacey Gwynn’s romantic getaway in the middle of the woods is interrupted when Jalen is attacked by a beast straight out of his worst nightmare. Bitten and in shock, Jalen manages to escape after stabbing the creature, who runs off into the night. Jalen makes a suspiciously miraculous recovery after the attack but thinks nothing of it. Soon, an alarming diet change followed by inexplicable nightly blackouts sets Jalen’s life on a downward spiral.

With what appears to be two distinct serial killers operating in his city, and no leads in the investigation, Captain Penn is barely holding it together. What is even more troubling is the violent nature of the new spate of killings. It certainly did not look like anything a human could do, but witness accounts describe an animal too improbable to be true. And why is Frank convinced that his nephew Jalen is somehow involved? Frank seeks answers in the most unconventional place, but is he willing to do what it takes to set Jalen free?

Things That Go Bump In The Night is an enthralling horror thriller by Wilson Jackson that hits all the right notes. The intro was a spellbinding prologue that set the tone for what was to come. The writing was smooth and compelling, with adequate descriptive elements for the plot, and the dialogue flowed naturally. The cast of characters was both complex and relatable, with sufficient backstories for the key personalities.

I liked the concept of having two serial killers as the focal point of the story. Even more thrilling was the fact that there was a supernatural element to one of them that made it near impossible for the police to understand what they were dealing with. There was a subtle nod to themes like perceived racial bias in the work environment and infidelity in marriage. These lent some depth to the plot. I liked that Frank kept an open mind to the possibility that something out of the ordinary could be involved in the case and did not hesitate to do what needed to be done when the time came.

The book had some mildly distracting flaws. Apart from some punctuation, typographical, and grammatical errors, there were also inadequate paragraph breaks to mark when one scene transitions into another. Additionally, the dialogue seemed to overlap, and I often had trouble distinguishing between two speakers. These were the only issues I had with the book, and I believe another round of diligent editing can rectify the problems. Consequently, I will be rating this book 3 out of 4 stars.

Things That Go Bump In The Night is the perfect novel for readers who enjoy fantasy-horror or paranormal mysteries with a side of horror. It is both well-written and imaginative and is sure to thrill any would-be reader. The book contains scenes of sex, violence, and strong language that make it unsuitable for sensitive readers.

Things That Go Bump In The Night
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"Literature is the most agreeable way of ignoring life." - Fernando Pessoa :techie-studyinggray:
T T 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-t-2.html
Latest Review: Three loves and other stories by Lata Gullapalli

Post by T T 2 »

Two of my favourite genres in one book, can't ask for anything more. Have to experience the horror while reading the book. Thank you for the review!
Pearl Thomas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pearl-thomas.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Post by Pearl Thomas »

Such a complex and interesting plot, blending crime and horror. Great review.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I have recently been reading zombie novels. They are somewhat the same, a healthy person is bitten and turns into something that they would never have wanted. I’m interested to see what happens to Jalen.
Luchris_michael
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luchris-michael.html
Latest Review: Rulers of the Galaxy by Tayma Tameem

Post by Luchris_michael »

The book is a suspense-filled one. I would love to read it. Thanks for your review.
Gabriella1997
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriella1997.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Gabriella1997 »

Am a lover of suspense and horror, I would love to read more about this book, beautiful review.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an engaging supernatural mystery and the flaws you pointed out seem minor. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

I think the idea of ​​two serial killers is just great. This is not something that is often encountered. Thanks for the good review.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”