Review of Ghost Agents

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 186
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Ghost Agents by Nita DeBorde

Review of Ghost Agents

Post by Prisallen »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Ghost Agents" by Nita DeBorde.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Claire has possessed paranormal abilities since she was a little girl. Her gift has been inherited since both of her parents and her brother have special abilities as well. She works at a candy store during the day, but at night, she gives ghost tours of Galveston Island, which provides a cover for her other job—both Claire and her brother’s main work is for the Bureau for Historical Preservation. This is a covert organization of people with paranormal abilities whose purpose is to assist ghosts while preserving history at the same time. Her father worked for them in the past and still aids them when needed.

Claire was recently assigned the task of helping a group of independent paranormal investigators with several ghost tours. It was believed that the history of certain ghosts would generate favorable publicity. Claire sensed that Drew, one of the investigators, was also psychic, and she felt an intense attraction to him.

Claire received information from the ghosts (referred to as “projections”) that several of them had gone missing. While investigating their disappearance, she became aware that something decidedly sinister is occurring on Galveston Island, and her own life may be endangered.

Ghost Agents by Nita DeBorde is a 317-page thriller with strong paranormal and romantic qualities. In addition, Texas history, especially that of Galveston Island, is woven into the tale in such an entertaining way that you don’t even realize that you are getting a history lesson. It is the first book in the series but can be read as a standalone novel, although a few loose threads will probably be addressed in the upcoming story. Written from the third-person point of view, the narrative is very descriptive and easy to follow. Ms. DeBorde has crafted an imaginative and credible book. In this novel, it is ordinarily (but not always) the humans, not the ghosts, who are spooky, which is a refreshing spin on ghost stories. The author captures the reader’s attention right away when one of the “projections” is captured and killed in the prologue. Because of Ms. DeBorde’s wonderful writing style, I never lost interest and was thoroughly engrossed in the tale until the last page.

One of the unusual and intriguing things about the book is the occasional inclusion of “Excerpts from A History of the Bureau for Historical Preservation” and “Excerpts from the Bureau for Historical Preservation’s Agents’ Training Manual.” These little excerpts not only provide information about the bureau to the reader but help to make it feel like a genuine organization. This believability compelled me to remind myself from time to time that it is an imaginary bureau.

There were only a few minor errors discovered, and they did not interfere with my enjoyment of the book. Because there was nothing else I disliked, I am delighted to award Ghost Agents four out of four stars. Readers who enjoy mysteries, ghost stories, and romance novels will appreciate the tale. No descriptive sex or definite profanities were observed. However, sensitive readers should be aware there were a few violent scenes in the book, although they weren’t extremely graphic. I think the novel should be appropriate for readers about age thirteen and older.

Ghost Agents
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kaushiki Parihar
2021 Reading Goal: 10
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaushiki-parihar.html
Latest Review: The Beginning of the End - It Starts by John K. Williamson

Post by Kaushiki Parihar »

The book cover completely intrigued me. I think I'll enjoy this mysterious ghost and romance story. Thanks for the great review.
Ruchi Raina
2021 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading: Leadership Upgrade
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruchi-raina.html
Latest Review: Whale of Wonder by Marie-Paule Mahoney

Post by Ruchi Raina »

You've done a wonderful job with the review. I am curious to know about Claire and this imaginary bureau she works for. I would like to read those excerpts and manuals you've mentioned which made the imaginary bureau seem realistic :techie-studyingbrown: Thanks for the book recommendation.
Raluca_Mihaila
2021 Reading Goal: 60
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Hotwalker by Rick Neumayer

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

Another great mystery book recommendation! Thank you, I can't wait to read it for myself :)
addicted reader
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-addicted-reader.html
Latest Review: The Pro-Achievement Principle by Dr. Deborah Bright

Post by addicted reader »

Ghost Agents by Nita DeBorde sounds like a great thriller, full of action. Thanks for this insightful review.
Amy Luman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by Amy Luman »

Thanks for the review. Chasing and helping ghosts is not something I try to do regularly, but I think I would enjoy reading about it.
Precious DA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-da.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by Precious DA »

Amazing review! I would love to see how this turns out. A mixture of the paranormal with romance would certainly be good.
Ntombifuthi Londi
2021 Reading Goal: 15
Currently Reading: The Legacy of Job's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ntombifuthi-londi.html
Latest Review: A Bloody Book by Chris Bowen

Post by Ntombifuthi Londi »

Sigh! I'm relieved that the book isn't scary. I don't like reading about ghosts for some strange reason, but today I figured why not? I'm delighted I ran into this book; it's not my usual fare, but it appears to be intriguing. Your evaluation is fantastic.
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Kaushiki Parihar wrote: ↑07 Sep 2021, 01:34 The book cover completely intrigued me. I think I'll enjoy this mysterious ghost and romance story. Thanks for the great review.
I agree; it is a nice book cover. I think you enjoy the story!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Ruchi Raina wrote: ↑07 Sep 2021, 01:54 You've done a wonderful job with the review. I am curious to know about Claire and this imaginary bureau she works for. I would like to read those excerpts and manuals you've mentioned which made the imaginary bureau seem realistic :techie-studyingbrown: Thanks for the book recommendation.
I hope you get a chance to read the book! Thanks for stopping by!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Raluca_Mihaila wrote: ↑07 Sep 2021, 03:27 Another great mystery book recommendation! Thank you, I can't wait to read it for myself :)
I'm sure you will enjoy it. Thanks for taking the time to read my review!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

addicted reader wrote: ↑07 Sep 2021, 06:45 Ghost Agents by Nita DeBorde sounds like a great thriller, full of action. Thanks for this insightful review.
It is an excellent book that fits into several genres. I hope you get a chance to try it!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Precious DA wrote: ↑07 Sep 2021, 13:51 Amazing review! I would love to see how this turns out. A mixture of the paranormal with romance would certainly be good.
Thanks for the kind words. I hope you get a chance to read it!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Ntombifuthi Londi wrote: ↑07 Sep 2021, 17:30 Sigh! I'm relieved that the book isn't scary. I don't like reading about ghosts for some strange reason, but today I figured why not? I'm delighted I ran into this book; it's not my usual fare, but it appears to be intriguing. Your evaluation is fantastic.
It isn't without suspense and fear. I meant that it isn't the ghosts who are scary in this book but the humans. It is a different take on ghost stories. I hope you will give it a try. Thanks for taking the time to read my review!
Nkgchidimma080
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nkgchidimma080.html
Latest Review: The Pro-Achievement Principle by Dr. Deborah Bright

Post by Nkgchidimma080 »

Ghost books are full of trailers and actions,I would love to read this book,nice review.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”