Review of Hocus Pocus

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
El_limitless
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-el-limitless.html
Latest Review: Public Hostage Public Ransom by William Bronston MD

Review of Hocus Pocus

Post by El_limitless »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Hocus Pocus" by Jeffrey Mechling.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Hocus Pocus by Jeffrey Mechling is a book about a couple who worked as CIA agents. Over the years, they've worked at different locations gathering intelligence on crimes and have achieved success.

However, their assignment to carry out an investigation in Western Virginia, specifically at the military radar station, led them to make a lot of findings of the power play in the United States government. After working at the Sugar Grove site, they equally discovered a lot of betrayals by the people who seem to be at the highest echelon of the CIA and from fellow agents. What are these discoveries they made? Find out by reading this interesting story.

The book has some positive points. I loved how the author developed the characters of Tim Hall and Mary Ann well enough. I didn't just get to read about their lives as CIA agents, I also read about how they lived as a couple, and the many hurdles their love have to cross. It made their personalities even more relatable. Again, I love that the author put in good effort into explaining the mode of operation of the CIA and the FBI to the reader to enable him to follow the story better.

The book also has some negative points. First, I feel like some of the characters in the story were not well developed. Apart from the part where Bob was giving orders to officers working for him, I didn't get a lot of information about his person. Again, I feel the book could have been more concise. I found some of the details shared in it to be unnecessary. Also, an average reader may have difficulty understanding the storyline.

I rate the book 3 out of 4 stars. I did not give the book a higher rating because I encountered some grammatical errors while reading. Again, I did not enjoy the author's writing style. I feel the storyline could have been made a lot less complex. I couldn't fully grasp some parts of the story. I didn't give the book a lower rating because as mentioned earlier, the author put in commendable effort in writing the book. He showed a good understanding of the mode of operation of the CIA and FBI.

I recommend this book to readers who enjoy crime fiction as the book is saturated with criminal schemes and execution. Readers who also wish to have an in-depth understanding of the workings of the CIA and the FBI will also have a good time reading the book.

Hocus Pocus
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Chinaza Nnabuenyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinaza-nnabuenyi.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chinaza Nnabuenyi »

Good CIA agents are what most countries need in this 21st century. The crime rate on top is getting too much. I certainly will read this book.
Luchris_michael
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luchris-michael.html
Latest Review: Rulers of the Galaxy by Tayma Tameem

Post by Luchris_michael »

Positive character development is necessary for the society stability. I would love to read the book. Thanks for your review.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I have really enjoyed reading the Lara and Uri series. This book sounds a little bit like that. The workings of the CIA and FBI are complicated and I am not too interested in too many details. They are overwhelming.
Jennifer Garcia 555
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-garcia-555.html
Latest Review: Somebody’s Watching You by Robin D'Amato

Post by Jennifer Garcia 555 »

This sounds like an interesting story. Unfortunately, I do not like underdeveloped characters or a confusing writing style. Thanks for your review.
“Isn’t it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet?” — L. M. Montgomery
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

I have mixed feelings about this novel considering the merits and flaws you pointed out. I might try reading it to see if I like the author's style. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Gabriella1997
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriella1997.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Gabriella1997 »

I love crime fictions, am definitely reading this book, beautiful review.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”